trouble booting to second disk
john connolly
2019-09-19 20:57:07 UTC
Hi, I have a ssd installed as a second disk with slackware64-current
installed. I wanted to try it out but I'm having a dickens of a time
getting the kernel to boot. Here is my lilo.conf file on the first disk:

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
append=" vt.default_utf8=0"
boot = /dev/sda

bitmap = /boot/slack.bmp
bmp-colors = 255,0,255,0,255,0
bmp-table = 60,6,1,16
bmp-timer = 65,27,0,255

# Standard menu.
prompt
timeout = 1200
change-rules
reset
# Normal VGA console
vga = normal
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins

image = /boot/vmlinuz-generic
root = /dev/sda1
initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
label = 4.14.15
read-only

image = /boot/vmlinuz-huge
root = /dev/sda1
label = big_boy-4.14.15 read-only

image = /mnt/sdc4/boot/vmlinuz
# #boot-as=0x80
root=/mnt/sdc4
label = ssd-slack
read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends

The third stanza is my attempt to boot slackware from the ssd.

The link between /dev/sdc4 and /mnt/sdc4 is in the fstab file which, as
far as I can tell, allows the kernel on the ssd to be located during the
boot process. However the boot process stops after a few seconds with
several kernel panic notices that are too complicated for me to pass on
here. The last entry before that is <IRC>.

I have successfully done this several years ago, with the same
equipment, but my notes are too skimpy to give me a clue what to do next
so I would really appreciate suggestions.

Thanks, jwc
Rich
2019-09-19 23:56:26 UTC
Post by john connolly
root=/mnt/sdc4
root= needs to point to a device, not a mount point. You likely meant
/dev/sdc4.
john connolly
2019-09-20 23:00:44 UTC
Post by john connolly
root=/mnt/sdc4
root= needs to point to a device, not a mount point. You likely meant
/dev/sdc4.
Thanks for the reply. I made that change but still no luck with the
booting process. I also used Ford's suggestion and tried to boot
directly to the ssd but that hung also. I had used the chroot command to
get to the ssd in order to run lilo, which seemed to work ok, but the
booting process hung in the same place. Here is lilo.conf on the ssd
installation, with /dev/sdc4 assigned to / in the fstab.

I'm using a gpt partition table. Could that be the problem?

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
append=" vt.default_utf8=0"
boot = /dev/sdc

bitmap = /boot/slack.bmp
bmp-colors = 255,0,255,0,255,0
bmp-table = 60,6,1,16
bmp-timer = 65,27,0,255

# Standard menu.
prompt
timeout = 600
change-rules
reset
# Normal VGA console
vga = normal
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins

image = /mnt/sda1/boot/vmlinuz-generic
root = /dev/sda1
initrd = /boot/initrd.gz
label = 4.14.15
read-only

image = /mnt/sda1/boot/vmlinuz-huge
root = /dev/sda1
label = big_boy-4.14.15

read-only
image = /boot/vmlinuz
# #boot-as=0x80
root=/
#initrd=/mnt/sdc4/boot/initrd.gz

Onward and upward, jwc
Rich
2019-09-20 23:26:01 UTC
Post by john connolly
Post by Rich
Post by john connolly
root=/mnt/sdc4
root= needs to point to a device, not a mount point. You likely meant
/dev/sdc4.
Thanks for the reply. I made that change but still no luck with the
booting process. I also used Ford's suggestion and tried to boot
directly to the ssd but that hung also. I had used the chroot command to
get to the ssd in order to run lilo, which seemed to work ok, but the
booting process hung in the same place. Here is lilo.conf on the ssd
installation, with /dev/sdc4 assigned to / in the fstab.
I'm using a gpt partition table. Could that be the problem?
Unknown, but doubtful. LILO does not know about partition tables, nor
use them.
Post by john connolly
read-only
image = /boot/vmlinuz
# #boot-as=0x80
root=/
#initrd=/mnt/sdc4/boot/initrd.gz
label = ssd-slack
read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends
If this is indeed your new lilo.conf, your root= line is still
incorrect. Notice what I said you likely meant in my prior reply, then
look at what you have given us here above as root= value.

And, if your SSD installation needs an initrd to boot, you need to tell
it where the initrd resides. Yet above you have initrd commented out.
a***@eskimo.com
2019-09-27 19:46:19 UTC
Post by john connolly
Post by Rich
Post by john connolly
root=/mnt/sdc4
root= needs to point to a device, not a mount point. You likely meant
/dev/sdc4.
Thanks for the reply. I made that change but still no luck with the
booting process. I also used Ford's suggestion and tried to boot
directly to the ssd but that hung also. I had used the chroot command to
get to the ssd in order to run lilo, which seemed to work ok, but the
booting process hung in the same place. Here is lilo.conf on the ssd
installation, with /dev/sdc4 assigned to / in the fstab.
I'm using a gpt partition table. Could that be the problem?
Unknown, but doubtful. LILO does not know about partition tables, nor
use them.
Apparently, LILO can boot from the first 15 GPT partitions.

From the CHANGELOG for version 24.0:

- Support for kernel images on GPT hard disks in the first 15
partitions, otherwise set comments (src/geometry.c, src/lilo.h)

Unfortunately, the CHANGELOG is not in the /usr/doc/lilo-24.2 directory.

The lilo.SlackBuild script fails to copy a CHANGES file and
it should copy the CHANGELOG file instead.
Henrik Carlqvist
2019-09-21 05:51:49 UTC
Post by john connolly
I'm using a gpt partition table. Could that be the problem?
As far as I know LILO is not able to handle gpt partition tables. I
haven't used ELILO myself but think that one is supposed to handle gpt
better.

regards Henrik
Ford Prefect
2019-09-20 01:10:56 UTC
Post by john connolly
Hi, I have a ssd installed as a second disk with slackware64-current
installed. I wanted to try it out but I'm having a dickens of a time
Most hardware these days has built into the BIOS a boot drive selector.
Look at the bottom of the screen during the BIOS boot screen and you
may see a prompt for (say) F10 to bring that up. This makes booting from
your choice of disk a breeze. How old is this hardware, anyway?