I'm back!
notbob
2018-04-06 17:16:56 UTC
Not sure most of you even knew I was gone. ;)

Anywho, I gotta new i3 64-bit box. An HP 270-p043w box. Comes with
W10, which is definitely better fer graphics than any Linux I've ever
used. OTOH, hadda re-up with news.individual.net and my old box (20
yrs old) is still good fer Slackware 14.1 and slrn

So, what can I do? I wanna dual-boot my new W10 box, but have never messed with any
64-bit software. How does one add Slackware Linux to a W10 box? What
do I need to know? ;)

nb
Mike Easter
2018-04-06 20:18:10 UTC
Post by notbob
How does one add Slackware Linux to a W10 box? What
do I need to know?
Something about UEFI. Clips follow link below.

https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:uefi_triple_boot_with_refind_on_slackware
UEFI dual or more boot using rEFInd -- As from version 14.1 and
onwards, Slackware64 supports EFI. It incorporates both ELILO and also
an EFI-capable GRUB; you can choose between the two but ELILO is default.
Mike Easter
Peter Chant
2018-04-10 21:54:55 UTC
Post by notbob
So, what can I do? I wanna dual-boot my new W10 box, but have never messed with any
64-bit software. How does one add Slackware Linux to a W10 box? What
do I need to know? ;)
I've generally given up on dual booting. One bit of advice I would
offer, if you can run to it put Windows and Slackware on separate disks.
This makes them nice and independent and if you can hit the right key
on boot then your bios might deal with the dual booting rather then
playing around with your MBR.

You may hit a problem with the disk naming, /dev/sda or /dev/sdb may
change depending on the phase of the moon or general wind direction!
You will want to use UUIDs or disk labels for booting linux.

Lilo did not used to work well with UUIDs, but it appears that it does
now. Not sure if it needs an initrd to do that. Someone else may be
better placed to answer that.

As far as 64 bit linux goes, I think, provided you are not playing with
Wine or have any proprietary 32 bit binary drivers then you don't
concern yourself over whether your system 64 bit or not and all is fine.

Pete
Eef Hartman
2018-04-11 08:47:00 UTC
Post by Peter Chant
I've generally given up on dual booting.
Personelly I would Windows in a VM and checkpoint the installation.
Puts you save for virusses etc as you can always go back TO that
version.
Post by Peter Chant
Lilo did not used to work well with UUIDs, but it appears that it does
now. Not sure if it needs an initrd to do that.
Both UUIDs and labels need (e)udev to be active, so, yes:
it WILL need an initrd with that support to work.
The kernel itself knows only hardware device names, which will be
supplied by the right kernel modules. And IF the root disk needs a
module (instead of being builtin) that module must be in the initrd
too.