2560x1080 screen, how to tell cli about it?
Bubulcus Industrius
2019-11-22 08:35:28 UTC
Hi,

I've installed an extra wide screen, 2560x1080 pixel.
After the boot, the cli uses only a central portion of the screen, probably 1920
pixel. Where do I tell the system about the new screen dimensions? I'm not
talking about X.org or KDE, I'm not using them, just the cli.

Thanks!
Eef Hartman
2019-11-22 09:12:46 UTC
I'm not talking about X.org or KDE, I'm not using them, just the cli.
As far as I know the framebuffer (which is used for higher resolution
TEXT modes) doesn't support that resolution, so only if you're using a
proprietary video kernel module (like nVidia, AMD) the adaptor _may_
support it.
Use the "vga-ask" parameter to the kernel at boot-up to see which
resolutions _are_ supported.
BTW: it is the graphics adaptor that has to support it, it should ask
the monitor what resolutions it can support and then tries the nearest
equivalent.
For instance, on my nVidia Quadro FX, I'm using the full resolution
(of 1920x1200) in X, but can use only 1600x1200 in text mode.
The X resolution is done through the binary NVidia kernel (nvidia.ko)
and nvidiadrv.so X modules.
John Forkosh
2019-11-22 11:48:21 UTC
Hi, I've installed an extra wide screen, 2560x1080 pixel.
After the boot, the cli uses only a central portion of
the screen, probably 1920 pixel. Where do I tell the system
about the new screen dimensions? I'm not talking about
X.org or KDE, I'm not using them, just the cli. Thanks!
You might try
append=" video=2560x1080 vt.default_utf8=0"
vga = normal
in your lilo.conf header, and then rerun lilo.
But I've never had cli problems, just X-related problems.
So I couldn't really say whether or not that might help.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )