Slack 15.0 RC1
David Robley
2021-08-17 09:51:17 UTC
Surprised no-one has mentioned this yet. From the changelog:

"Anyway, without further ado, here is Slackware 15.0 release candidate one."
root
2021-08-17 17:29:04 UTC
Post by David Robley
"Anyway, without further ado, here is Slackware 15.0 release candidate one."
I have always waited for an official new release, If I want to try
the new candidate, is there a route without updating all my 14.2
packages?
Rinaldi
Clone and update the clone?
root
2021-08-17 20:34:33 UTC
Post by Rinaldi
Clone and update the clone?
Thanks for responding.

Over the years I have accumulated so much junk that I
want to start over fresh.
Jimmy Johnson
2021-08-17 20:58:17 UTC
Over the years I have accumulated so much junk that I
want to start over fresh.
Slackware Linux 15.0 RC1, Link to iso
https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=11322

Alien Core Linux - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda12
Registered Linux User #380263
B3n3d1ctus
2021-08-18 02:34:17 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Over the years I have accumulated so much junk that I want to start
over fresh.
Slackware Linux 15.0 RC1, Link to iso
https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=11322
Thanks for the link, downloaded the iso and made a USB stick out of it.
Boots OK but when setup reaches the source selector it doenot find the
source on the USB stick, strange.
Used this command:

sh usbimg2disk.sh -f -i ./usbboot.img -o /dev/sdq -s ../../64/ -L
64SLACK150B

in the 'usb-and-pxe-installers' directory.

Is their a way to solve this?

regards

B3n
Jimmy Johnson
2021-08-18 03:57:12 UTC
Post by B3n3d1ctus
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Over the years I have accumulated so much junk that I want to start
over fresh.
Slackware Linux 15.0 RC1, Link to iso
https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=11322
Thanks for the link, downloaded the iso and made a USB stick out of it.
Boots OK but when setup reaches the source selector it doenot find the
source on the USB stick, strange.
Did you select USB drive in the setup, maybe you missed that?

Slackware64 Current - i7-2820QM - EXT4 at sda9
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
root
2021-08-18 18:31:57 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by root
Over the years I have accumulated so much junk that I
want to start over fresh.
Slackware Linux 15.0 RC1, Link to iso
https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=11322
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
I got it up and running. The new gcc is, as usual,
even more picky than the last. The error messages
seem to expect I'm running under an X window.
Rinaldi
2021-08-18 00:42:33 UTC
Post by Rinaldi
Clone and update the clone?
Thanks for responding.
Over the years I have accumulated so much junk that I
want to start over fresh.
Yeah ;-)

I've got junk dating back to '94 in /etc and '98 in $HOME

Rinaldi
Henrik Carlqvist
2021-08-18 05:32:22 UTC
Post by Rinaldi
I've got junk dating back to '94 in /etc and '98 in $HOME
I think almost everyone has those default exports, organization and
host.conf from 1994 in their /etc directory. I also have hosts.allow and
hosts.deny from 1993 in /etc on my 14.2 system and that was before I
started with Slackware.

Usually I install my slackware systems from scratch and then on my home
systems copy my home directory from another machine. So those old files
in /etc are probably from a default Slackware 14.2 installation.

My oldest files in ~ are swedish.au and english.au from 1994 where Linus
Torvalds explains how to prononce Linux. However, those time stamps might
not be dates when I copied those files there. If I remember right I
started with Slackware 1995.

The oldest file in ~ which I can tell for sure was created by me is
~/.workmanrc from 1996. That file was used by a program to play music CD-
ROMs. My guess is that the file firstly was created 1995 but later
updated 1996. However, the ctime of my oldest files in ~ on my current
machine is now 2018 when that machine was installed.

regards Henrik
The Real Bev
2021-08-18 18:54:05 UTC
Post by Rinaldi
Post by root
Post by Rinaldi
Clone and update the clone?
Thanks for responding.
Over the years I have accumulated so much junk that I
want to start over fresh.
Yeah ;-)
I've got junk dating back to '94 in /etc and '98 in $HOME
HAH!

-rw-r--r-- 296 Nov 25 1993 hosts.deny.new
-rw-r--r-- 293 Nov 25 1993 hosts.allow.new
--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't care who your father is! Drop that cross
one more time and you're out of the parade!"
#Paul
2021-08-21 08:19:32 UTC
Post by Rinaldi
Yeah ;-)
I've got junk dating back to '94 in /etc and '98 in $HOME
Make sure you remember to carefully copy it over to your new
install. so you don't lose it :-)

I'm also in the fresh-install camp. With such a long interval
between version upgrades, I am bound to have made a few now-
forgotten decisions to fix things a rather ad hoc and inelegant
way and it's good to make sure they're gone.

Until I put them back, of course. But at least they'll only be
the ones I still need.

#Paul
andrew
2021-08-19 08:45:38 UTC
Post by David Robley
"Anyway, without further ado, here is Slackware 15.0 release candidate one."
Very exciting times :)

Andrew
Do you think that's air you're breathing?
Hans
2021-08-23 08:29:43 UTC
Post by David Robley
"Anyway, without further ado, here is Slackware 15.0 release candidate one."
A slackbuilds.org "15-rc" option would be nice. With the last slack
release slackbuilds added the new version over night. One would presume
the package maintainers are almost done too.
Hans
Henrik Carlqvist
2021-08-23 16:13:33 UTC
Post by Hans
A slackbuilds.org "15-rc" option would be nice.
The problem with "15-rc" is that it might mean different things from day
to day.
Post by Hans
With the last slack release slackbuilds added the new version over
night. One would presume the package maintainers are almost done too.
Once 15.0 is stable slackbuild package maintainers will be able to
publish packages for 15.0 and know that those tested slackbuilds will
continue to work on Slackware 15.0.

If you want to use Slackware 15rc and don't care much about how well the
slackbuild packages has been tested for your specific 15rc your best bet
is probably to download the 14.2 package builds from slackbuilds.org.

regards Henrik
carriunix
2021-08-25 18:04:42 UTC
Post by Hans
With the last slack release slackbuilds added the new version over
night. One would presume the package maintainers are almost done too.
Once 15.0 is stable slackbuild package maintainers will be able to
publish packages for 15.0 and know that those tested slackbuilds will
continue to work on Slackware 15.0.
If you want to use Slackware 15rc and don't care much about how well the
slackbuild packages has been tested for your specific 15rc your best bet
is probably to download the 14.2 package builds from slackbuilds.org.
regards Henrik
Adapt and use 14.2 slackbuilds is an option. You can use Ponce's slackbulds
for current (https://github.com/Ponce/slackbuilds) or use directly the
packages current from repositories (like ponce's or AlienBOB's). If you are
looking for some specific app, is probable that the maintainer has an
current slackbuild in his/her git.

May the Source be with you!
carriunix
King Beowulf
2021-09-05 02:44:26 UTC
Post by carriunix
Post by Hans
[...]
Also don't forget that Slackbuilds.org (SBo) is not idle. Yes,
submissions and updates to 14.2 are closed. SBo is now keeping up with
15.0-RC1 so that the repository is ready when 15.0 is released.

https://git.slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/

The SBo stuff on Ponce's git will eventually end up there. You can also
report 14.2 -> 15.0 compatibility issues here:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/sbo-scripts-not-
building-on-current-read-1st-post-pls-4175561999/

Also, and I can't speak for ALL SBO maintainers, if you email a bug
report (to me or via SBO mail list), I'll certainly take a look.
Slackware-current is still a moving target: what compiled and ran last
week may not this week!

-kb