cannot connect to wired internet
Javier
2019-12-26 23:07:20 UTC
I cannot connect to wired internet at boot.

I installed slackware 14.2 32 bit in a 15 years old Lenovo thinkcentre
desktop PC. I use kernel huge, since I guess SMP is for multiprocessor.
I did the install unpacking the packages from the shell myself in another
linux distro, instead of booting from a slackware dvd. due to some
hardware constraints. Also I compiled the initrd myself.

In /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf I change

USE_DHCP[0]="yes"

Since I could not connect to wired internet, I disabled zeroconf (-L),
ipv6 and increase the timeout. I modified /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and use

/sbin/dhcpcd -4 -L -t 60 ${DHCP_OPTIONS} ${1}

The DHCP server is a 5 years old Thomson ISP cable-modem-router.

At boot time I see on the screen:

Polling for DHCP server on interface eth0:
eth0: waiting for carrier
eht0: carrier acquired
DUID 00:01:00:01:25:90:0f:d2:00......
eth0: IAID 60:4c:aa:b1
eth0: carrier lost

Typing 'ifconfig eth0 up; dhcpcd eth0' logged in as root in the
console doesn't help either.

Any hints?

TIA
Henrik Carlqvist
2019-12-27 07:56:40 UTC
Post by Javier
I installed slackware 14.2 32 bit in a 15 years old Lenovo thinkcentre
desktop PC. I use kernel huge, since I guess SMP is for multiprocessor.
That kernel is probably a rather good choice.
Post by Javier
I did the install unpacking the packages from the shell myself in
another linux distro, instead of booting from a slackware dvd. due to
some hardware constraints.
Doing so now probably means that your /var/log/packages is not populated
correctly, meaning that commands like removepkg and upgradepkg will not
work. Missing contents in /var/log/packages will give you trouble when
you install securitu update patch packages.
Post by Javier
Also I compiled the initrd myself.
With the huge kernel you shouldn't need any initrd.
Post by Javier
In /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf I change
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
Since I could not connect to wired internet, I disabled zeroconf (-L),
ipv6 and increase the timeout. I modified /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 and use
/sbin/dhcpcd -4 -L -t 60 ${DHCP_OPTIONS} ${1}
Instead of modifying rc.inet1 I think that you can accomplish all that by
setting variables in rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
Post by Javier
The DHCP server is a 5 years old Thomson ISP cable-modem-router.
Polling for DHCP server on interface eth0: eth0: waiting for carrier
eht0: carrier acquired DUID 00:01:00:01:25:90:0f:d2:00......
eth0: IAID 60:4c:aa:b1 eth0: carrier lost
Typing 'ifconfig eth0 up; dhcpcd eth0' logged in as root in the console
doesn't help either.
Any hints?
If you are unable to run dhcpd as root from the console the bootup script
will of course also fail. I would start to investigate why you loose the
carrier, maybe you have a bad network cable? What if you put a switch
between the router and your computer? Will that switch give you a stable
carrier?

regards Henrik
i***@invalid.invalid
2019-12-27 13:17:45 UTC
Post by Javier
The DHCP server is a 5 years old Thomson ISP cable-modem-router.
Polling for DHCP server on interface eth0: eth0: waiting for carrier
eht0: carrier acquired DUID 00:01:00:01:25:90:0f:d2:00......
eth0: IAID 60:4c:aa:b1 eth0: carrier lost
Typing 'ifconfig eth0 up; dhcpcd eth0' logged in as root in the console
doesn't help either.
Any hints?
If you are unable to run dhcpd as root from the console the bootup script
will of course also fail. I would start to investigate why you loose the
carrier, maybe you have a bad network cable? What if you put a switch
between the router and your computer? Will that switch give you a stable
carrier?
The network cable is ok. The network connection works if I boot with
SystemRescueCD and Windows XP (it's a dual boot computer).
Henrik Carlqvist
2019-12-28 06:14:49 UTC
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by Javier
Polling for DHCP server on interface eth0: eth0: waiting for
carrier eht0: carrier acquired DUID
00:01:00:01:25:90:0f:d2:00......
eth0: IAID 60:4c:aa:b1 eth0: carrier lost
Typing 'ifconfig eth0 up; dhcpcd eth0' logged in as root in the
console doesn't help either.
The network cable is ok. The network connection works if I boot with
SystemRescueCD and Windows XP (it's a dual boot computer).
If SystemRescueCD works without any problem I would start by comparing
SystemRescueCD with Slacwkare. Do they use the same driver (module) for
your network card? Do they use the same DHCP client software? Do they use
the same flags for the DHCP client software?

regards Henrik
Javier
2019-12-28 17:07:17 UTC
Post by i***@invalid.invalid
Post by Javier
Polling for DHCP server on interface eth0: eth0: waiting for
carrier eht0: carrier acquired DUID
00:01:00:01:25:90:0f:d2:00......
eth0: IAID 60:4c:aa:b1 eth0: carrier lost
Typing 'ifconfig eth0 up; dhcpcd eth0' logged in as root in the
console doesn't help either.
The network cable is ok. The network connection works if I boot with
SystemRescueCD and Windows XP (it's a dual boot computer).
If SystemRescueCD works without any problem I would start by comparing
SystemRescueCD with Slacwkare. Do they use the same driver (module) for
your network card? Do they use the same DHCP client software? Do they use
the same flags for the DHCP client software?
How do I check which module I am using for the network card?

I cannot reach the problematic computer today, but I guess I can try
with dhclient instead of dhcpcd. Also I can try using default SMP
kernel (I used huge instead of SMP, because I assumed it was for
multicores, and the computer is an old 32-bit single core).

Do I need an initrd with smp? can I leave the initrd line blank in the lilo config?
Henrik Carlqvist
2019-12-28 19:16:57 UTC
Post by Javier
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
If SystemRescueCD works without any problem I would start by comparing
SystemRescueCD with Slacwkare. Do they use the same driver (module) for
your network card? Do they use the same DHCP client software? Do they
use the same flags for the DHCP client software?
How do I check which module I am using for the network card?
lsmod will show you loaded modules, but even with the huge kernel you
will probably find a bunch of loaded modules so "dmesg | grep eth" might
be a good place to start. On my computer:

nazgul:~> dmesg | grep eth
[ 5.521968] igb 0000:04:00.0: added PHC on eth0
[ 5.522143] igb 0000:04:00.0: eth0: (PCIe:2.5Gb/s:Width x1)
2c:fd:a1:34:10:fb
[ 5.522272] igb 0000:04:00.0: eth0: PBA No: 000300-000
[ 5.552806] igb 0000:05:00.0: added PHC on eth1
[ 5.552993] igb 0000:05:00.0: eth1: (PCIe:2.5Gb/s:Width x1)
2c:fd:a1:34:10:fc
[ 5.553125] igb 0000:05:00.0: eth1: PBA No: 000300-000
[ 27.241635] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
[ 28.572447] igb 0000:04:00.0 eth0: igb: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps
Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX
[ 28.572691] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
nazgul:~> lsmod | grep igb
igb 149253 0
ptp 12164 1 igb
hwmon 4199 3 igb,coretemp,asus_wmi
dca 6585 1 igb
i2c_algo_bit 5962 2 igb,i915
i2c_core 47925 10 drm,igb,i915,i2c_i801,i2c_dev,i2c_hid,
drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit,v4l2_common,videodev

So my computer uses the igb kernel module for intel gigabit. One more
interesting piece of information:

nazgul:~> /sbin/modinfo igb
filename: /lib/modules/4.4.75/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/
igb.ko
version: 5.3.0-k
license: GPL
Post by Javier
Also I can try using default SMP kernel (I used huge instead of SMP,
because I assumed it was for multicores, and the computer is an old 32
-bit single core).
Do I need an initrd with smp? can I leave the initrd line blank in the lilo config?
Yes, with a smaller smp kernel you will probably need an initrd. With the
huge kernel you can probably comment out the initrd line in lilo.conf and
rerun lilo. Befor trying different kernels and lilo configurations it
might be good to have some way to boot a non-bootable installation. The
systemrescuecd might be a good choice for that. A slackware installation
cd might also be good enough to run some simple editor like vi and lilo.

regards Henrik
Jerry Peters
search for Ethernet
Jimmy Johnson
2019-12-30 09:06:48 UTC
Post by Javier
[...]
Give this a try as root '/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 eth0_start'

Slackware64 12.19.KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda8
Registered Linux User #380263
Javier
2020-01-14 00:48:13 UTC
Post by Javier
I cannot connect to wired internet at boot.
I installed slackware 14.2 32 bit in a 15 years old Lenovo thinkcentre
desktop PC.
In /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf I change
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
I finally solved it. It was just that for some reason the kernel
reports two hardware interfaces (eth0 and eth1). SystemRescue CD
reports them as enp3s8, enp3s12.

I had to use eth1 instead of eth0, so I enabled them both in
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf

# Config information for eth0:
IPADDR[0]=""
NETMASK[0]=""
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""

# Config information for eth1:
IPADDR[1]=""
NETMASK[1]=""
USE_DHCP[1]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[1]=""

Thanks for all the responses.
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-01-14 07:03:58 UTC
Post by Javier
It was just that for some reason the kernel
reports two hardware interfaces (eth0 and eth1). SystemRescue CD
reports them as enp3s8, enp3s12.
Most likely because you have two network interfaces, maybe one on your
motherboard and another in a PCI slot? Some motherboards do have two
built in network interfaces. The command dmesg will tell you some about
your hardware.
Post by Javier
I had to use eth1 instead of eth0, so I enabled them both in
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
IPADDR[0]=""
NETMASK[0]=""
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""
IPADDR[1]=""
NETMASK[1]=""
USE_DHCP[1]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[1]=""
As that solution works it migth be good enough. Other possible solutions
might be to disable a built in network interface in the CMOS setup, to
remove a PCI card and/or to edit
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to make youre prefered network
card eth0.

In my experience having more network interfaces than you need is not to
much use but might give trouble and confusion whenever the computer has
been disconnected and you wonder were to put that network cable again.

regards Henrik
Javier
2020-01-14 17:08:06 UTC
Post by Javier
It was just that for some reason the kernel
reports two hardware interfaces (eth0 and eth1). SystemRescue CD
reports them as enp3s8, enp3s12.
Most likely because you have two network interfaces, maybe one on your
motherboard and another in a PCI slot? Some motherboards do have two
built in network interfaces. The command dmesg will tell you some about
your hardware.
Yep. A Realtek card and another integrated card in the Intel MoBo.

dmesg | grep eth
[ 9.821507] 8139too 0000:03:0c.0 eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0x00012000, 00:02:44:7a:13:1e, IRQ 20
[ 10.041300] e100: Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver, 3.5.24-k2-NAPI
[ 10.041395] e100: Copyright(c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation
[ 10.074113] e100 0000:03:08.0 eth1: addr 0xe8100000, irq 20, MAC addr 00:0d:60:4c:aa:b1
Jimmy Johnson
2020-01-16 09:19:31 UTC
Post by Javier
Post by Javier
I cannot connect to wired internet at boot.
I installed slackware 14.2 32 bit in a 15 years old Lenovo thinkcentre
desktop PC.
In /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf I change
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
I finally solved it. It was just that for some reason the kernel
reports two hardware interfaces (eth0 and eth1). SystemRescue CD
reports them as enp3s8, enp3s12.
I had to use eth1 instead of eth0, so I enabled them both in
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
IPADDR[0]=""
NETMASK[0]=""
USE_DHCP[0]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""
IPADDR[1]=""
NETMASK[1]=""
USE_DHCP[1]="yes"
DHCP_HOSTNAME[1]=""
Thanks for all the responses.
Nice to see you got it going.

Slackware64 14.2 - KDE 4.14.32 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda5