Problem compiling Dean Jones' eMail program
Add Reply
Chris Elvidge
2021-11-08 15:57:33 UTC
Slackware15

Linux slack15.local 5.15.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Nov 6 14:39:05 CDT 2021
x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'm trying to install Dean Jones' email program -
https://github.com/deanproxy/eMail

Compiles OK on Raspbian and LMDE4

On Slackware (and VOID) I am getting errors from the linker - ld - like
this:

/usr/bin/ld:
addr_parse.o:/home/chris/Downloads/eMail/include/email.h:81: multiple
definition of `Mopts';
email.o:/home/chris/Downloads/eMail/include/email.h:81: first defined here
/usr/bin/ld:
addr_parse.o:/home/chris/Downloads/eMail/include/email.h:65: multiple
definition of `conf_file';
email.o:/home/chris/Downloads/eMail/include/email.h:65: first defined here
/usr/bin/ld:
addr_parse.o:/home/chris/Downloads/eMail/include/email.h:64: multiple
definition of `table';
email.o:/home/chris/Downloads/eMail/include/email.h:64: first defined here

These messages repeat for each .o file in src/

addr_parse.o addy_book.o conf.o error.o execgpg.o file_io.o message.o
mimeutils.o processmail.o progress_bar.o remotesmtp.o sig_file.o
smtpcommands.o utils.o

Any ideas what could be wrong? Anyone else tried compiling this program?

Later: I transferred all the installed files from the LMDE computer to
the Slackware computer, and it seems to work, so at least I've got a
working program.

Thanks
--
Chris Elvidge
England
Richard Kettlewell
2021-11-09 09:50:31 UTC
Post by Chris Elvidge
Slackware15
Linux slack15.local 5.15.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Nov 6 14:39:05 CDT
2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I'm trying to install Dean Jones' email program -
https://github.com/deanproxy/eMail
Compiles OK on Raspbian and LMDE4
[...]
[...]
maybe this guy should read a book about C :-P
It used to work (and presumably can still work if you turn -fcommon back
on).

https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-10/porting_to.html
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Richard Kettlewell
2021-11-09 10:43:19 UTC
Post by Richard Kettlewell
It used to work (and presumably can still work if you turn -fcommon back
on).
ah, ok, "CFLAGS=-fcommon ./configure"
does do it.
"It is mainly useful to enable legacy code to link without errors."
what standard is this (legacy) k&r ?
No standard. Even first edition K&R forbids the duplication (s11.2 para
2). It’s just something that mostly worked for a long time.
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Chris Elvidge
2021-11-09 11:25:55 UTC
Post by Richard Kettlewell
Post by Chris Elvidge
Slackware15
Linux slack15.local 5.15.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Nov 6 14:39:05 CDT
2021 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I'm trying to install Dean Jones' email program -
https://github.com/deanproxy/eMail
Compiles OK on Raspbian and LMDE4
[...]
[...]
maybe this guy should read a book about C :-P
It used to work (and presumably can still work if you turn -fcommon back
on).
https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-10/porting_to.html
Thanks for that.
It was the change to GCC that caused it.
Slackware 15 is on 11.2, Debian is still on 8.3
--
Chris Elvidge
England