(how) do slackpkg+, compat32pkg, and multilibpkg play together?
Robert Riches
2017-12-29 01:11:40 UTC
(long-time, well 17 years, Linux user; first-time Slackware user;
experience with pre-EL-RedHat, Mandrake, Mandriva, Debian,
Ubuntu, and CentOS)

While preparing to fly a 64-bit Slackware 14.2 experimental VM
into the multilib zone, I have been studying this:

https://docs.slackware.com/slackware:multilib

which mentions slackpkg+. On the slackpkg+ site, I saw
compat32pkg and multilibpkg are recommended. The above-mentioned
page says compat32pkg automates the conversion process. The
documentation here:

http://compat32pkg.sourceforge.net/documentation.html

appears to be a detailed, step-by-step guide to compat32pkg. I'd
like the ability to (cautiously) add 3rd-party repos, so it
sounds like I want slackpkg+. However, compat32pkg sounds like a
very good thing for automating the conversion and maintenance of
the 32-bit side. However, I'm not entirely clear on the
relationship between the three:

slackpkg+, compat32pkg, and multilibpkg

Are all three intended to work/play together? Or, are any of
them mutually exclusive?

Is there a particular order in which they should be
installed, configured, and run?

Thanks in advance.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
a***@disroot.org
2019-08-28 21:23:40 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
[...]
Follow the example from multilib:
https://docs.slackware.com/slackware:multilib

install slackpkgplus, edit /etc/slackpkg/slackpkgplus.conf
as it's shown in the slackware docs but omit the ktown repo,
just delete "ktown" from the PKGS_PRIORITY line
and then comment (put a # at beggining) the ktown repo
in the MIRRORPLUS lines. Then, run:

slackpkg update
slackpkg upgrade-all
slackpkg upgrade multilib