How to get WoeUSB for Slackware
2021-02-23 04:31:49 UTC
Debian has a utility that I would like to have:WoeUSB
which takes a .iso image and creates a bootable
USB stick. I tried using syslinux to do the job
but I spent a few hours without success. I asked
a Debian user and, using WoeUSB, he got the job
done in about 10 minutes.

None of the slkpkg sites has the system, and
neither does slapt-get.

Any ideas?

PS: the .iso image I was trying to use was
a Windows 10 install disk.
Rich
2021-02-23 05:11:27 UTC
None of the slkpkg sites has the system, and
neither does slapt-get.
Any ideas?
Yes. Use google to track down the original source (hint, the search is
easy, the tracking easier).

Then just download from the original source and either build your own
slack install script to "properly" install it on Slackware, or just
mannually install somewhere if you are in a hurry.

Note, if you build a proper slackware installation script, you could
contribute it to https://slackbuilds.org/ and then others could
benefit.
root
2021-02-23 15:45:00 UTC
Then just download from the original source and either build your own
slack install script to "properly" install it on Slackware, or just
mannually install somewhere if you are in a hurry.
Note, if you build a proper slackware installation script, you could
contribute it to https://slackbuilds.org/ and then others could
benefit.
That would be the thing to do, but my immediate problem was
solved by Debian. Now the question is academic.

Thanks for responding.
Ralph Spitzner
2021-02-23 08:02:54 UTC
root wrote on 2/23/21 5:31 AM:
[...]
Post by root
PS: the .iso image I was trying to use was
a Windows 10 install disk.
Windows .iso's are always weird.
either do it using windows dvdusb tool, or try balenaetcher....

-rasp
root
2021-02-23 15:43:11 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Windows .iso's are always weird.
either do it using windows dvdusb tool, or try balenaetcher....
-rasp
Thanks, but I don't have a Windows machine to use.
This endeavor is to help my sister recover from
a dead Windows hard drive.
Ralph Spitzner
2021-02-24 05:55:32 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Windows .iso's are always weird.
either do it using windows dvdusb tool, or try balenaetcher....
-rasp
Thanks, but I don't have a Windows machine to use.
This endeavor is to help my sister recover from
a dead Windows hard drive.
Balena etcher is available as a 64bit appimage for linux....

Lew Pitcher
2021-02-23 14:34:07 UTC
Debian has a utility that I would like to have:WoeUSB which takes a .iso
image and creates a bootable USB stick. I tried using syslinux to do the
job but I spent a few hours without success. I asked a Debian user and,
using WoeUSB, he got the job done in about 10 minutes.
None of the slkpkg sites has the system, and neither does slapt-get.
Any ideas?
Download it yourself: it seems to be just a shell script

https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
root
2021-02-23 15:59:11 UTC
Post by Lew Pitcher
Download it yourself: it seems to be just a shell script
https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB
I will take a closer look. git clone ..... did not work,
and the README file is obscure.

Thanks for responding.
Lew Pitcher
2021-02-23 16:24:12 UTC
Post by Lew Pitcher
Download it yourself: it seems to be just a shell script
https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB
I will take a closer look. git clone ..... did not work,
and the README file is obscure.
Thanks for responding.
11:18 $ git clone https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB.git
Cloning into 'WoeUSB'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 324, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (324/324), done.
remote: Total 335 (delta 141), reused 258 (delta 102), pack-reused 11
Receiving objects: 100% (335/335), 117.62 KiB | 1.84 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (141/141), done.
11:18 $ ls WoeUSB/
LICENSE LICENSES README.md continuous-integration distribution
sbin share
11:18 $

Simplest (naive) install is to:
1) copy the contents of WoeUSB/sbin to your /usr/local/sbin or /usr/sbin
2) copy the contents of WoeUSB/share to your /usr/local/share
or /usr/share

More complex is to package up WoeUSB sbin and share directories into a
Slackware package using the Slackware pkgtools makepkg command, then
install the resulting package using the pkgtools installpkg command.

HTH
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
root
2021-02-23 23:57:28 UTC
Post by Lew Pitcher
Download it yourself: it seems to be just a shell script
https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB
I will take a closer look. git clone ..... did not work,
and the README file is obscure.
There are two executables for WoeUSB: woeusb and woeusb-gui
The first is a script, and the second requires a number
of libraries I don't have.

The script does not include any help.

While thinking about the problem, I remembered I already
had unetbootin, which appears to offer the same
capability. I am in the process of trying unetbootin
now, and it seems to be hung on "copying files".

Most likely the problem is I am using a very old
usb stick.
root
2021-02-24 02:49:02 UTC
Post by Lew Pitcher
Download it yourself: it seems to be just a shell script
https://github.com/WoeUSB/WoeUSB
I will take a closer look. git clone ..... did not work,
and the README file is obscure.
There are two executables for WoeUSB: woeusb and woeusb-gui
The first is a script, and the second requires a number
of libraries I don't have.
The script does not include any help.
While thinking about the problem, I remembered I already
had unetbootin, which appears to offer the same
capability. I am in the process of trying unetbootin
now, and it seems to be hung on "copying files".
Unetbootin worked fine. There is no need for
WoeUSB with Slackware.

Thanks for the help.