Sane or Xsane
notbob
2020-12-23 21:29:24 UTC
I've gotta old Slack linux box. Itsa P4 with 14.1 and .5G RAM. One
of the sane's usta work with an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo. Now no.

How do I make it work?

nb
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-12-25 18:09:59 UTC
I've gotta old Slack linux box. Itsa P4 with 14.1 and .5G RAM. One of
the sane's usta work with an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo. Now no.
How do I make it work?
One place to start might be:

https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Scanner-HOWTO/index.html

According to http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON your
scanner should have good support by sane, but it seems as if you need
some firmware file.

regards Henrik
Per Christensen
2020-12-26 03:10:38 UTC
I've gotta old Slack linux box. Itsa P4 with 14.1 and .5G RAM. One of
the sane's usta work with an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo. Now no.
How do I make it work?
https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Scanner-HOWTO/index.html
According to http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON your
scanner should have good support by sane, but it seems as if you need
some firmware file.
regards Henrik
For Slackware 14.2 I guess you only have to create the directory
"snapscan" in /usr/share/sane and put the Epson 3490 firmware file
Henrik mention (Esfw52.bin) into the directory.
Perhaps this goes also for your Slackware 14.1, otherwise try to follow
the instructions at:
http://www.autodidacts.io/how-to-get-epson-perfection-3490-flatbed-scanner-working-on-ubuntu-linux/
The firmware can also be downloaded from the site
dillinger
2020-12-27 07:53:12 UTC
I've gotta old Slack linux box. Itsa P4 with 14.1 and .5G RAM. One of
the sane's usta work with an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo. Now no.
How do I make it work?
https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Scanner-HOWTO/index.html
According to http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON your
scanner should have good support by sane, but it seems as if you need
some firmware file.
regards Henrik
Esfw52.bin is the firmware file you're looking for, if you want fast
results from the web look for that.
http://www.autodidacts.io/how-to-get-epson-perfection-3490-flatbed-scanner-working-on-ubuntu-linux/
has a nice tutorial, it's the same for Slackware.
I extracted the firmware for my 2480 from the Windows driver on the CD
that came with the scanner.
notbob
2020-12-27 22:23:45 UTC
Post by dillinger
I extracted the firmware for my 2480 from the Windows driver on the CD
that came with the scanner.
I"ve got the CD you refer to, but I ferget how to mount the player. I
know I must be root (su -). My computer is a Sony VAIO with 2
players and I can use either one. ;)

nb
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-12-28 06:42:49 UTC
Post by notbob
I"ve got the CD you refer to, but I ferget how to mount the player. I
know I must be root (su -). My computer is a Sony VAIO with 2 players
and I can use either one. ;)
If you are running Slackware you most likely do not need to be root to
mount a CD or a USB drive. Usually all you need to do is some point-and-
click in your graphical desktop environment (like KDE or XFCE) to mount
and umount removable media.

Back in the days before Slackware had this udev (or before that hotplug)
configurations which allowes normal users to mount removable media a line
in /etc/fstab was usually used instead looking something like this:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user,ro,comment=x-gvfs-show 0 0

The "user" option at the line above allows a normal user to do

mount /mnt/cdrom

and

umount /mnt/cdrom

from the command line without relying on any point-and-click interface
with d-bus support.