how to pair a bluetooth mouse?
John Forkosh
2020-09-27 05:05:36 UTC
www.slackwiki.com/Bluetooth seems completely out of date
(e.g., /usr/sbin/hcid and sdpd don't even exist).
And everythung else I managed to google seems equally old,
if not older. apropos blue suggested several things,
and hcitool scan and hcitool info <bdaddr> found the
mouse, but hciattach and various and sundry other things
I tried didn't work at all, or weren't very apropos.
Seems like a simple enough thing to want to do...
How do you pair a bluetooth mouse (or other device)
in slackware??? (I'm running -current64 downloaded 9/1/19,
a bit over a year old now)
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
King Beowulf
2020-09-27 19:27:37 UTC
www.slackwiki.com/Bluetooth seems completely out of date (e.g.,
/usr/sbin/hcid and sdpd don't even exist).
And everythung else I managed to google seems equally old,
if not older. apropos blue suggested several things, and hcitool
scan and hcitool info <bdaddr> found the mouse, but hciattach and
various and sundry other things I tried didn't work at all, or weren't
very apropos. Seems like a simple enough thing to want to do...
How do you pair a bluetooth mouse (or other device)
in slackware??? (I'm running -current64 downloaded 9/1/19,
a bit over a year old now)
For one, I'd update to latest current. There have been quiet a few
hardware related updates. I think bluez and that stuff has been updated
in the past year. I'm running on 3 boxes here. no stability issues.

Next, check your PC BIOS to make sure you *have* BT and its enabled.
Once booted use lsusb/lspci/lsmod to see if BT device is detected and
modules are loaded. Don't forget to check the logs and dmesg for any BT
related messsages.

In you fav DE, run the BT applet (I use KDE and Xfce), have it add/scan,
and set the mouse to pair. The gui is pretty self explanatory. CLi is
soooo retro.

I haven't tried a mouse (a wired fan here), but was able to pair a
headset on the Lenovo lappy, and on the Gigabyte Ryzen 7 gaming box.

-have fun.
John Forkosh
2020-09-28 09:12:34 UTC
Post by King Beowulf
[...]