Anydesk vs. VNC
Harold Johanssen
2019-09-28 17:37:42 UTC
I have just noticed that a package called anydesk has been added
to the Slackbuilds repository. From what I read, this package seems to
accomplish exactly the same thing as VNC - anydesk comes with connexion
encryption, but doing the same thing with VNC is easy enough.

Anybody know why would one want to use anydesk in preference over
VNC? What does it offer that is beyond VNC's capabilities? Does it
perhaps perform measurably better?
Henrik Carlqvist
2019-09-29 09:58:58 UTC
Post by Harold Johanssen
Anybody know why would one want to use anydesk in preference over
VNC? What does it offer that is beyond VNC's capabilities? Does it
perhaps perform measurably better?
I haven't used any of them much and not anydesk at all. There is a good
comparision between different softwares for remote desktop at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software

Usually I use ssh with X forwarding and sometimes xdmcp. At a few
occasions i might have used vnc together with qemu.

regards Henrik
K Venken
2019-09-30 09:58:14 UTC
Post by Harold Johanssen
Anybody know why would one want to use anydesk in preference over
VNC? What does it offer that is beyond VNC's capabilities? Does it
perhaps perform measurably better?
I haven't used any of them much and not anydesk at all. There is a good
comparision between different softwares for remote desktop at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software
Usually I use ssh with X forwarding and sometimes xdmcp. At a few
occasions i might have used vnc together with qemu.
As I see it, it's different purpose. VNC duplicates the screen and
allows you to disconnect the session and reopen it with all running
applications in the same state. Ssh, X, xdmcp make the screen output a
part of the application and abort if the connection is broken. But there
may be a solution for that, which I would like to see. Think of laptops
connecting to a server migrating from one network (wired) to another
(wireless)

Apart from that, I don't like proprietary software, especially if they
make a difference between personal and commercial use. It happened with
Teamviewer that they suddenly decided it's not personal anymore for the
purpose at hand. So I went to VNC (in a mixed environment).

Proprietary solutions tend to claim that their software is better
optimized, better latency, better throughput, better responsiveness,
works behind proxy, NAT, have more features etc... I can concur that
some of these claims make sense, but I don't think it is always true or
needed.
diasp
2019-10-07 09:26:42 UTC
main disadvantage by VNC it usually NAT - VNC IP required. Meanwhile
closed source create less obvious methods as like ID in TeamViewer and
implemented NAT traversal/third-party VPN + wall garden.

IMO best open source solution which i tested it use ZeroTier + VNC.
ZeroTier works as like hamachi but more offer (eg. 100 users for free as
5 in hamachi instead, create bridges, maximum stability, just enough open
port at firewall, default 9993). Unfortunately can't bypass wall garden
which means that every user could install ZeroTier (unless that use
bridge but i couldn't make it work).