Firefox and Thunderbird Illegal Instruction
Add Reply
Richmond
2018-09-26 20:42:48 UTC
On my system the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird won't run,
they just report "illegal instruction". Is there a package with the i586
version? I have downgraded to TB 52.9 because I happened to have a copy,
but I think there should be a package that works on AMD Athlon XP.
~
Mike Bleiweiss
2018-09-26 22:53:12 UTC
Post by Richmond
On my system the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird won't run,
they just report "illegal instruction". Is there a package with the i586
version? I have downgraded to TB 52.9 because I happened to have a copy,
but I think there should be a package that works on AMD Athlon XP.
You can try downloading 32 bit Firefox directly. Go to the
Firefox site, and select "Advanced Install Options and Other
Platforms". You should see a link for Linux 32 bit. It
should be a bz2 archive.

Make sure you have gtk+ 2.18 or higher, glib 2.22 or higher,
pango 1.14 or higher, xorg 1.7 or higher and libstdc++ 4.3
or higher. The basic Slackware install should have all of
this.

Download the bz2 archive into a special folder, probably in
/opt/firefox.

Extract the bz2... tar xjvf firefoxblahblah.bz2

Then, link /opt/firefox/firefox to /usr/bin/firefox

You should now be able to launch the 32 bit version that you
downloaded directly. That is a fairly old CPU though and may
lack some instructions needed even in 32 bit.
--
Mike Bleiweiss
Devout Unixophile
Giovanni
2018-09-27 07:48:16 UTC
Post by Mike Bleiweiss
Post by Richmond
[...]
I'm stuck to firefox and thunderbird 45.7 esr because I get the same
"illegal instruction" error.

I can't remember when it started but from release 50.x.x I had a problem
with printing and once in a while I tested new releases and both FF and
TB gave the "illegal instruction" error using either the binaries from
Mozilla site or from Slackware patches in 32 and 64 bits versions.

Ciao
Giovanni
--
A computer is like an air conditioner,
it stops working when you open Windows.
< http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >
Lawrence
2018-09-27 18:17:04 UTC
Post by Richmond
On my system the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird won't run,
they just report "illegal instruction". Is there a package with the i586
version? I have downgraded to TB 52.9 because I happened to have a copy,
but I think there should be a package that works on AMD Athlon XP.
As far as I can tell, new,suppported versions of Firefox require a CPU
with the SSE2 instruction set.

52.9.0esr (which is now unsupported) is the "newest" version that will run
on CPU's without SSE2.
Mike Bleiweiss
2018-09-27 18:35:09 UTC
Post by Lawrence
Post by Richmond
On my system the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird won't run,
they just report "illegal instruction". Is there a package with the i586
version? I have downgraded to TB 52.9 because I happened to have a copy,
but I think there should be a package that works on AMD Athlon XP.
As far as I can tell, new,suppported versions of Firefox require a CPU
with the SSE2 instruction set.
52.9.0esr (which is now unsupported) is the "newest" version that will run
on CPU's without SSE2.
This makes sense. I found this blurb from the Mozillas:

If Firefox is already installed on your computer, you can
continue using it but you will not receive updates beyond
version 52. If you download Firefox version 53 or above and
try to run it, you will see the message in stderr, This
browser version requires a processor with the SSE2
instruction set extension. You may be able to obtain a
version that does not require SSE2 from your Linux
distribution.

Like many programs, newer versions of Firefox require a
processor that supports Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2)
for better performance. We recommend a computer with a
Pentium 4 or newer processor that supports SSE2 to use the
latest version of Firefox, which has more features,
stability and security.

Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) will continue to
work with older processors but will not receive updates
beyond ESR version 52. Firefox ESR version 59, scheduled
for release in March 2018, will no longer be supported.
--
Mike Bleiweiss
Devout Unixophile
Jimmy Johnson
2018-10-11 20:00:25 UTC
Post by Richmond
On my system the latest versions of Firefox and Thunderbird won't run,
they just report "illegal instruction". Is there a package with the i586
version? I have downgraded to TB 52.9 because I happened to have a copy,
but I think there should be a package that works on AMD Athlon XP.
I did not like the new firefox and removed it and installed slack
package: mozilla-firefox-45.2.0esr-x86_64-1.txz that I downloaded.

Slackware64 Current - KDE 4.14.64 - EXT4 at sda6