On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 20:49:43 -0500
Post by Grover Cleveland Post by Lew Pitcher
It appears that brave-browser has a github distribution channel, with
Give it a try and let us know how it works out?
I re-ran Sourcery and captured the window which gave me the URL.
tar xvzf *tgz
Then I ran into trouble messing with 'doinst.sh' scripts. Everything seems
to be in my ~/Downloads/opt/brave.com/brave directory. Ran ./brave from
there and it works. Maybe I should just move all that to /opt ?? I think
I will first try dillinger's rpm2cpio suggestion.
I/m not a developer, I'm an old fart. I don't know github and crawling it
with a browser is a PITA. I miss ./configure, make, sudo make install.
Installing pre-built binaries for other distributions is never a
particularly good idea because slackware may not be able to supply the
correct dependencies for those binaries, nor have the right versions of
those dependencies. Compiling from source is usually better.
Having said that, some things are only available as pre-built binaries,
such as skype and spotify. I haven't always had good results with
rpm2tgz, and generally I find that slackware is more likely to run an
ubuntu or debian binary better than a redhat/fedora binary (YMMV). I
therefore generally download the deb file. Having got that you can do
(i) extract the deb file with 'ar x [filename].deb'
(ii) make a /tmp/[my-program] directory and copy the data.tar.gz file
extracted at (i) above to it;
(iii) as root, untar the data.tar.gz file in /tmp/[my-program] with 'tar
xf data.tar.gz'. Check to see if ownerships of the untarred files look
OK (they should normally be root:root), and that directories - certainly
your common ones such as usr, usr/bin and usr/lib - appear if you
run 'ls -l' as 'drwxr-xr-x' (namely with permissions 0755). Check also
the file layout to see if it approximates to slackware's: for example,
for consistency with slackware's file tree, you might want to move a
usr/share/man or usr/share/doc directory to usr/man and usr/doc
respectively. Also check that the pre-built binaries don't overwrite
anything vital from one of your already-installed slackware packages,
particularly any file in /usr/lib (it is unlikely, but it is worth
(iv) make sure you are back in the /tmp/[my-program] directory and then
make a slackware package with
'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-x86_64-1local.txz' or (for 32-bit
binaries) 'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-i686-1local.txz' (substituting
the actual name of the program for 'my-program' and its actual version
for '0.0.0'). Install that package with installpkg and see if it
works. If it doesn't, remedy the problem, or remove the package with