brave browser
Grover Cleveland
2019-06-23 00:34:56 UTC
I'm using Salix, a slackware derivative. Sourcery Slackbuild manager
shows brave-browser, but the download is an rpm file and the build fails
with cpio: end of archive. The brave browser website doesn't show any tgz
files, it's all redhat & ubuntu.

Has anyone installed this browser under slackware? What file/where do I
get it? Thanks for any help you can give.
Lew Pitcher
2019-06-23 00:40:40 UTC
Post by Grover Cleveland
I'm using Salix, a slackware derivative. Sourcery Slackbuild manager
shows brave-browser, but the download is an rpm file and the build fails
with cpio: end of archive. The brave browser website doesn't show any tgz
files, it's all redhat & ubuntu.
Has anyone installed this browser under slackware?
I haven't done so, but...
Post by Grover Cleveland
What file/where do I get it?
It appears that brave-browser has a github distribution channel, with
installation instructions
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/wiki#build-instructions
Post by Grover Cleveland
Thanks for any help you can give.
Give it a try and let us know how it works out?
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
Grover Cleveland
2019-06-23 01:49:43 UTC
Post by Lew Pitcher
It appears that brave-browser has a github distribution channel, with
installation instructions
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/wiki#build-instructions
Give it a try and let us know how it works out?
I re-ran Sourcery and captured the window which gave me the URL.

wget https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/download/v0.64.76/
brave-browser-0.64.76-1.x86_64.rpm
rpm2tgz *rpm
tar xvzf *tgz

Then I ran into trouble messing with 'doinst.sh' scripts. Everything seems
to be in my ~/Downloads/opt/brave.com/brave directory. Ran ./brave from
there and it works. Maybe I should just move all that to /opt ?? I think
I will first try dillinger's rpm2cpio suggestion.

I/m not a developer, I'm an old fart. I don't know github and crawling it
with a browser is a PITA. I miss ./configure, make, sudo make install.
Progress, anyway.
Chris Vine
2019-06-23 09:48:09 UTC
On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 20:49:43 -0500
Post by Grover Cleveland
Post by Lew Pitcher
[...]
Installing pre-built binaries for other distributions is never a
particularly good idea because slackware may not be able to supply the
correct dependencies for those binaries, nor have the right versions of
those dependencies. Compiling from source is usually better.

Having said that, some things are only available as pre-built binaries,
such as skype and spotify. I haven't always had good results with
rpm2tgz, and generally I find that slackware is more likely to run an
ubuntu or debian binary better than a redhat/fedora binary (YMMV). I
therefore generally download the deb file. Having got that you can do
this:

(i) extract the deb file with 'ar x [filename].deb'

(ii) make a /tmp/[my-program] directory and copy the data.tar.gz file
extracted at (i) above to it;

(iii) as root, untar the data.tar.gz file in /tmp/[my-program] with 'tar
xf data.tar.gz'. Check to see if ownerships of the untarred files look
OK (they should normally be root:root), and that directories - certainly
your common ones such as usr, usr/bin and usr/lib[64] - appear if you
run 'ls -l' as 'drwxr-xr-x' (namely with permissions 0755). Check also
the file layout to see if it approximates to slackware's: for example,
for consistency with slackware's file tree, you might want to move a
usr/share/man or usr/share/doc directory to usr/man and usr/doc
respectively. Also check that the pre-built binaries don't overwrite
anything vital from one of your already-installed slackware packages,
particularly any file in /usr/lib[64] (it is unlikely, but it is worth
checking).

(iv) make sure you are back in the /tmp/[my-program] directory and then
make a slackware package with
'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-x86_64-1local.txz' or (for 32-bit
binaries) 'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-i686-1local.txz' (substituting
the actual name of the program for 'my-program' and its actual version
for '0.0.0'). Install that package with installpkg and see if it
works. If it doesn't, remedy the problem, or remove the package with
removepkg.
Chris Vine
2019-06-23 09:51:03 UTC
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 10:48:09 +0100
Post by Chris Vine
(iv) make sure you are back in the /tmp/[my-program] directory and then
make a slackware package with
'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-x86_64-1local.txz' or (for 32-bit
binaries) 'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-i686-1local.txz' (substituting
the actual name of the program for 'my-program' and its actual version
for '0.0.0'). Install that package with installpkg and see if it
works. If it doesn't, remedy the problem, or remove the package with
removepkg.
And before you run makepkg, delete the now
redundant /tmp/[my-program]/data.tar.gz file.
notbob
2019-06-23 14:07:24 UTC
Post by Chris Vine
(iv) make sure you are back in the /tmp/[my-program] directory and then
make a slackware package with
'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-x86_64-1local.txz' or (for 32-bit
binaries) 'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-i686-1local.txz' (substituting
the actual name of the program for 'my-program' and its actual version
for '0.0.0'). Install that package with installpkg and see if it
works. If it doesn't, remedy the problem, or remove the package with
removepkg.
And before you run makepkg, delete the now
redundant /tmp/[my-program]/data.tar.gz file.
Both yers and "dillinger's" replies were worth saving, mainly cuz I
didn't even know this stuff.

I'm getting old, Pat! Give us a new Slackware!! After 20 yrs on the
net, I don't need much. ;)

nb
dillinger
2019-06-23 16:38:48 UTC
Post by Chris Vine
(iv) make sure you are back in the /tmp/[my-program] directory and then
make a slackware package with
'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-x86_64-1local.txz' or (for 32-bit
binaries) 'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-i686-1local.txz' (substituting
the actual name of the program for 'my-program' and its actual version
for '0.0.0'). Install that package with installpkg and see if it
works. If it doesn't, remedy the problem, or remove the package with
removepkg.
And before you run makepkg, delete the now
redundant /tmp/[my-program]/data.tar.gz file.
This is basically what most repackaging slackbuild scripts from
slackbuilds.org do, I don't think it's necessary to all of that
manually, except as an exercise maybe, to learn how it works.

This script uses the *.rpm instead of the *.deb from the release, and it
needs rpm2cpio from the rpm package to unpack the *.rpm.

Since the OP uses Salix installing Brave should be a simple as

sudo slapt-get -i rpm
sudo slapt-src -i brave-browser
Grover Cleveland
2019-06-23 17:49:13 UTC
Post by dillinger
This is basically what most repackaging slackbuild scripts from
slackbuilds.org do, I don't think it's necessary to all of that
manually, except as an exercise maybe, to learn how it works.
This script uses the *.rpm instead of the *.deb from the release, and it
needs rpm2cpio from the rpm package to unpack the *.rpm.
Since the OP uses Salix installing Brave should be a simple as
sudo slapt-get -i rpm
sudo slapt-src -i brave-browser
This is the same as what I got using Salix' Sourcery Slackbuild Mgr.
I have the rpm package already installed. Second command:
Got the same error, and there's nothing in the current directory! WTF?

The following packages will be installed:
brave-browser
Do you want to continue? [y/N] y
Fetching README...Done
Fetching brave-browser.SlackBuild...Done
Fetching brave-browser.info...Done
Fetching doinst.sh...Done
Fetching slack-desc...Done
Fetching https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/download/
v0.64.76/brave-browser-0.64.76-1.x86_64.rpm...Done
brave-browser.SlackBuild: line 57: /usr/src/slapt-src/network/brave-
browser/brave-browser-0.65.121-1.x86_64.rpm: No such file or directory
cpio: premature end of archive
fakeroot -- sh brave-browser.SlackBuild Failed

I will fiddle with the binary I got earlier from rpm2tgz.
dillinger
2019-06-23 18:52:43 UTC
Post by Grover Cleveland
Post by dillinger
[...]
You need to update first, the script looks for
brave-browser-0.65.121-1.x86_64.rpm and you have
brave-browser-0.64.76-1.x86_64.rpm

sudo slapt-src -u
Chris Vine
2019-06-23 19:34:46 UTC
Post by Chris Vine
(iv) make sure you are back in the /tmp/[my-program] directory and then
make a slackware package with
'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-x86_64-1local.txz' or (for 32-bit
binaries) 'makepkg ../my-program-0.0.0-i686-1local.txz' (substituting
the actual name of the program for 'my-program' and its actual version
for '0.0.0'). Install that package with installpkg and see if it
works. If it doesn't, remedy the problem, or remove the package with
removepkg.
And before you run makepkg, delete the now
redundant /tmp/[my-program]/data.tar.gz file.
This is basically what most repackaging slackbuild scripts from
slackbuilds.org do, I don't think it's necessary to all of that
manually, except as an exercise maybe, to learn how it works.
Yes I did it in long hand so the OP could understand the process, but
it doesn't look as if he wants to know.

I have two scripts of my own, one for exploding deb's and another for
rpm's. They will explode into the current directory when invoked. The
output can then be checked in the way I indicated and a slackware
package made from them. This is much to be preferred to using rpm2tgz.

explode-deb.sh:

8x------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
echo "Usage: explode-deb.sh [debfile]"
exit 1
fi

ar p "$1" data.tar.gz | tar xzf -
8x------------------------------------

explode-rpm.sh:

8x------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
echo "Usage: explode-rpm.sh [rpmfile]"
exit 1
fi

rpm2cpio "$1" | cpio -idm
8x------------------------------------
dillinger
2019-06-23 01:26:06 UTC
Post by Grover Cleveland
I'm using Salix, a slackware derivative. Sourcery Slackbuild manager
shows brave-browser, but the download is an rpm file and the build fails
with cpio: end of archive. The brave browser website doesn't show any tgz
files, it's all redhat & ubuntu.
Has anyone installed this browser under slackware? What file/where do I
get it? Thanks for any help you can give.
Yes, I'm at the wrong computer now (32-bit), so I can't check it but I
think you need rpm2cpio to unpack the the rpm.
rpm2cpio is in the rpm package, install that and it should work.
Charles Coffee
2019-06-23 17:22:19 UTC
Post by Grover Cleveland
I'm using Salix, a slackware derivative. Sourcery Slackbuild manager
shows brave-browser, but the download is an rpm file and the build fails
with cpio: end of archive. The brave browser website doesn't show any
tgz files, it's all redhat & ubuntu.
Has anyone installed this browser under slackware? What file/where do I
get it? Thanks for any help you can give.
I downloaded this sometime back off of the SlackBuilds.org site
under 14.2 > Network > brave-browser (0.65.121)

and it worked on Slackware 14.2 at that time.
Chuckels
Richard Narron
2019-06-25 00:44:44 UTC
Post by Grover Cleveland
I'm using Salix, a slackware derivative. Sourcery Slackbuild manager
shows brave-browser, but the download is an rpm file and the build fails
with cpio: end of archive. The brave browser website doesn't show any tgz
files, it's all redhat & ubuntu.
Has anyone installed this browser under slackware? What file/where do I
get it? Thanks for any help you can give.
Slackbuilds.org has lots of scripts for building packages for Slackware 14.2:

http://slackbuilds.org/

The brave-browser.SlackBuild script builds brave from an RPM...

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/brave-browser/