Emacs RMAIL and POP3 on port 995 w/ TLS: help?
Add Reply
Mike Spencer
2020-03-23 04:14:31 UTC
My ISP is about to switch POP3 mail service from port 110 (all
cleartext) to port 995 with TLS.

I'm using RMAIL Emacs 20.7 with Slackware 14.2 (desktop) and 14.1
(laptop). And I have no idea how to arrange/set up for that to work.

After installing Slack 14.2 and adding Emacs 20, RMAIL "just worked"
with port 110.

Presently, I have in ~/.emacs:

(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list '("po:mspencer"))
(setq rmail-pop-password-required t) ;; Makes emacs request passwd
(setq user-mail-address "my-***@my-isp.ca")
(setq mail-default-reply-to "my-***@my-isp.ca")
(setq rmail-file-name "~/Mail/RMAIL")

and value of envar MAILHOST is mail.my-isp.ca, the name of my ISP's
POP3 server.

Can some Emacs guru help me out here? Pointers? ~/.emacs cookbook
suggestions?

The version of movemail shipped with Emacs,

/usr/libexec/emacs/[version]/iX86-slackware-linux/movemail

seems not to support TLS. The Emacs 24 manual refers to a version
of movemail that is part of "GNU mailutils" but Slack 14.1 and 14.2
appear not to include that program. What's with that? Do I need to
d/l the GNU mailutils package to get a TLS-capable movemail? (Slack
14 does include fetchmail(1) which seems to be a totally different
animal.)

Been using RMAIL in Emacs 20.7 since 20 was current, completely
familiar with port 110 pop3 cleartext protocol (I have perl scripts
that work with it). But I don't know how to tell Emacs to use port
995 and TLS.

Part of the problem is that I have the Emacs 24 manual. It's
unclear on this question and anyhow may be wrong for Emacs 20.
And it refers to the missing "GNU mailutils" movemail.

I use Emacs 20 because newer versions have sooo many features that I
don't want and that annoy me -- converting RMAIL BABYL format to mbox,
crazy colorization schemes etc. -- that I just gave up trying to
figure out how to disable it all. Nearly 80, y'know? Hours & hours
groveling over elisp, RFCs etc. no longer as much fun nor as easy as
it once was.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Si non confectus, non reficiat -- Havelock Vetinari
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-03-23 07:24:41 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
My ISP is about to switch POP3 mail service from port 110 (all
cleartext) to port 995 with TLS.
I'm using RMAIL Emacs 20.7 with Slackware 14.2 (desktop) and 14.1
(laptop). And I have no idea how to arrange/set up for that to work.
(Slack 14 does include fetchmail(1) which seems to be a totally
different animal.)
I haven't tried this myself, but Slackware also incudes popa3d which is a
pop3 server. So you should be able to:

1) configure fetchmail to get your emails from your ISP

2) configure popa3d to serve your emails on port 110 on your own machine

3) reconfigure emacs to fetch mail from your own machine instead of
your ISP.

I have no experience from rmail myself, I have only used fetchmail
together with sylpheed.

regards Henrik
Jerry Peters
2020-03-23 20:15:00 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
My ISP is about to switch POP3 mail service from port 110 (all
cleartext) to port 995 with TLS.
I'm using RMAIL Emacs 20.7 with Slackware 14.2 (desktop) and 14.1
(laptop). And I have no idea how to arrange/set up for that to work.
(Slack 14 does include fetchmail(1) which seems to be a totally
different animal.)
I haven't tried this myself, but Slackware also incudes popa3d which is a
1) configure fetchmail to get your emails from your ISP
2) configure popa3d to serve your emails on port 110 on your own machine
3) reconfigure emacs to fetch mail from your own machine instead of
your ISP.
I have no experience from rmail myself, I have only used fetchmail
together with sylpheed.
regards Henrik
Or even easier, stunnel as a proxy. Here's an example I used:
# ATT #####################################################
[pop3]
accept = 110
delay = yes
#connect = ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net:995 # old
connect = pop.att.yahoo.com:995

you'll connect to port 110 just like you do now, stunnel will coneect
to the pop3 server on port 995. delay tells stunnel not to look up
the server address until you try to connect to it.

Assuming stunnel is installed, change /etc/stunnel.conf & make
/etc/rc.d/rc.stunnel exeecutable.
Mike Spencer
2020-03-26 19:17:52 UTC
Post by Jerry Peters
# ATT #####################################################
[pop3]
accept = 110
delay = yes
#connect = ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net:995 # old
connect = pop.att.yahoo.com:995
you'll connect to port 110 just like you do now, stunnel will coneect
to the pop3 server on port 995. delay tells stunnel not to look up
the server address until you try to connect to it.
Yes. Thank you. I have stunnel working now.

But what you write above has the same flaw as everything else I found
in the docs and on the net. "you'll connect to port 110 just like you
do now" is wrong. Any app that wants to connect to popserver.com:110
must now be configured to connect to localhost:110 (or just localhost
if port 110 is a built-in default).

For emacs + movemail (under tcsh) that's "setenv MAILHOST
localhost". For my spam checker perl script, that's:

$host = "localhost";
$popport = "110";
$remote = IO::Socket::INET->new( Proto => "tcp",
PeerAddr => $host,
PeerPort => $popport,
);

For manual access, that's "telnet localhost 110".

If only the docs (or anything) had said of stunnel client mode, "runs
as a daemon on localhost, listens on port 110", the syntax of the
config lines:

[ts-pop3]
client = yes
accept = 127.0.0.1:110
connect = my-pop3-host.ca:995

would have made sense.

I never found a clear statement like that. Lying awake in bed last
night, thinking about the config syntax, it suddenly dawned on me that
such was the case.

So I'm good to go. All ways that I usually connect to my ISP's POP3
server are working and nothing else broke.
Post by Jerry Peters
Assuming stunnel is installed, change /etc/stunnel.conf & make
/etc/rc.d/rc.stunnel executable.
Slack 14.2 came with stunnel but no rc.stunnel. If you have an
rc.stunnel file, would you email it to me?
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Username is mspencer. Host is tallships.ca. Insert '@' where needed.
Jerry Peters
2020-03-26 20:24:19 UTC
Post by Jerry Peters
Assuming stunnel is installed, change /etc/stunnel.conf & make
/etc/rc.d/rc.stunnel executable.
Slack 14.2 came with stunnel but no rc.stunnel. If you have an
rc.stunnel file, would you email it to me?
My bad, forgot about the client config change. Then again I originally
set up stunnel almost 20 years ago when I first needed TLS.

You'll need to call 'rc.stunnel start' somewhere, probably in
rc.local; with Salix it gets called automatically by rc.services.

Here's a simple rc.stunnel script:

#! /bin/sh
#
# rc.stunnel
# Target-Directory: /etc/rc.d
#
# Start/stop stunnel.
#

SNM="${0##*/}" # set the script name

# Sample usage function.
usage () {
echo "Usage: $SNM {start|stop|reload|restart}"
exit 1
}

# Start stunnel
start_stunnel () {
stunnel
}

# Stop stunnel
stop_stunnel () {
killall -q stunnel
}

# Reload configuration
reload_conf () {
killall -q -s HUP stunnel
echo "stunnel may not work correctly after configuration reload"
}

# Restart stunnel
restart_stunnel () {
stop_stunnel
start_stunnel
}

case "$1" in
start) start_stunnel ;;
stop) stop_stunnel ;;
rel*) reload_conf ;;
rest*) restart_stunnel ;;
*) usage ;;
esac
Mike Spencer
2020-03-27 23:05:12 UTC
Post by Jerry Peters
Post by Mike Spencer
Slack 14.2 came with stunnel but no rc.stunnel. If you have an
rc.stunnel file, would you email it to me?
My bad, forgot about the client config change. Then again I originally
set up stunnel almost 20 years ago when I first needed TLS.
Forgiven. I have a hard time modifying some little script I wrote
only a year or two ago.
Post by Jerry Peters
You'll need to call 'rc.stunnel start' somewhere, probably in
rc.local; with Salix it gets called automatically by rc.services.
Thank you very much. I'll look and getting set up tonight.
I found something similar on line but it looked way more complicated
that needed for my little one-case client mode use. Yours looks like
what I expected.

[Remainder left for the record]
Post by Jerry Peters
#! /bin/sh
#
# rc.stunnel
# Target-Directory: /etc/rc.d
#
# Start/stop stunnel.
#
Tom
2020-03-23 20:14:28 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
My ISP is about to switch POP3 mail service from port 110 (all
cleartext) to port 995 with TLS.
I'm using RMAIL Emacs 20.7 with Slackware 14.2 (desktop) and 14.1
(laptop). And I have no idea how to arrange/set up for that to work.
After installing Slack 14.2 and adding Emacs 20, RMAIL "just worked"
with port 110.
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list '("po:mspencer"))
(setq rmail-pop-password-required t) ;; Makes emacs request passwd
(setq rmail-file-name "~/Mail/RMAIL")
and value of envar MAILHOST is mail.my-isp.ca, the name of my ISP's
POP3 server.
Can some Emacs guru help me out here? Pointers? ~/.emacs cookbook
suggestions?
Hi Mike,

I'm not an Emacs guru (I'm not even sure what RMAIL is), but I did find
this https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail:

Retrieving mail with POP3 is supported over SSL/TLS and with StartTLS.”
(from GNUS-NEWS)

Put the following in your gnus-init-file is sufficient.

(setq mail-sources
'((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
:port 995
:user "***@gmail.com"
:password "wrongpw"
:stream ssl)))

And I wonder if those settings would translate to rmail?

Tom
Mike Spencer
2020-03-23 21:57:03 UTC
Post by Tom
Post by Mike Spencer
My ISP is about to switch POP3 mail service from port 110 (all
cleartext) to port 995 with TLS.
I'm using RMAIL Emacs 20.7 with Slackware 14.2 (desktop) and 14.1
(laptop). And I have no idea how to arrange/set up for that to work.
Can some Emacs guru help me out here? Pointers? ~/.emacs cookbook
suggestions?
Hi Mike,
I'm not an Emacs guru (I'm not even sure what RMAIL is)...
Mail management internal to GNU Emacs. Been around, AFAIK, since the
Jurassic release of Emacs, maintains mssgs in the (unique?) BABYL file
format. Recent Emacsen want to abandon BABYL and convert to mbox.
Don't want to do that if it's possible to avoid it.
Post by Tom
Retrieving mail with POP3 is supported over SSL/TLS and with
StartTLS. (from GNUS-NEWS)
Put the following in your gnus-init-file is sufficient.
(setq mail-sources
'((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
:port 995
:password "wrongpw"
:stream ssl)))
And I wonder if those settings would translate to rmail?
I *think* that's refers to doing email inside gnus, a possibility I
hadn't thought of. At the moment, in Emacs 20.7, mail-sources is
"void", not jus nil. I'm using gnus to write this so it may relate to
a newer version of gnus? Dunno.

The crux of my problem seems to be movemail, a separate executable
that fetches mail from a server and hands it to the RMAIL elisp
code. According to the Emacs manual, movemail comes in 2 versions: one
distributed with Emacs as a lib utility and one that's part of the GNU
mailutils package.

AFAICT, the former doesn't support any form of POP3 with TLS while the
latter does. Slack 14 seems not to include the mailutils package.
I've just downloaded the most recent version (3.9) from gnu.org.

The Emacs 24 manual says v. 24 can be instructed to use the external
version of movemail. Remains to be determined if that's true of Emacs
20.7. If so, presumably the correct switches can be set for movemail
in the value of an Emacs lisp variable.

Have to go split firewood before dark. I'll get back to this tonight.

Tnx for the pointer, non-optimal but one I'd overlooked and perhaps
doable in a pinch.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Tom
2020-03-31 14:29:24 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by Tom
Post by Mike Spencer
My ISP is about to switch POP3 mail service from port 110 (all
cleartext) to port 995 with TLS.
I'm using RMAIL Emacs 20.7 with Slackware 14.2 (desktop) and 14.1
(laptop). And I have no idea how to arrange/set up for that to work.
Can some Emacs guru help me out here? Pointers? ~/.emacs cookbook
suggestions?
Hi Mike,
I'm not an Emacs guru (I'm not even sure what RMAIL is)...
Mail management internal to GNU Emacs. Been around, AFAIK, since the
Jurassic release of Emacs, maintains mssgs in the (unique?) BABYL file
format. Recent Emacsen want to abandon BABYL and convert to mbox.
Don't want to do that if it's possible to avoid it.
Interesting, thanks. I went the other way (pine/pico -> mutt/vi) so never
messed around with Emacs as a mail program. I did briefly use it as an
editor before switching to vi.
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by Tom
Retrieving mail with POP3 is supported over SSL/TLS and with
StartTLS. (from GNUS-NEWS)
Put the following in your gnus-init-file is sufficient.
(setq mail-sources
'((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
:port 995
:password "wrongpw"
:stream ssl)))
And I wonder if those settings would translate to rmail?
I *think* that's refers to doing email inside gnus, a possibility I
hadn't thought of. At the moment, in Emacs 20.7, mail-sources is
"void", not jus nil. I'm using gnus to write this so it may relate to
a newer version of gnus? Dunno.
Tnx for the pointer, non-optimal but one I'd overlooked and perhaps
doable in a pinch.
You're welcome, sorry it may not be relevant. Advice from ignorance is
usually not too helpful. :) Hope you find something that works for you.

Tom
Mike Spencer
2020-03-31 20:54:46 UTC
Post by Tom
Post by Mike Spencer
Tnx for the pointer, non-optimal but one I'd overlooked and perhaps
doable in a pinch.
You're welcome, sorry it may not be relevant. Advice from ignorance is
usually not too helpful. :)
Sometime advice from ignorance redirects focus to something of which
the person who knows everything (or thinks he does) would never have
thought. Not so much a matter of smart-ass arrogance as -- how do
you characterize it? -- a too well ordered mind. :-)
Post by Tom
Hope you find something that works for you.
Yes, thank you. Stunnel(8) is working transparently for me, now that
I've figured out how it works in "client mode" and have instructed my
mail-fetching software to look for mail on localhost where stunnel is
listening for the connections.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Jim Diamond
2020-03-24 21:28:13 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
My ISP is about to switch POP3 mail service from port 110 (all
cleartext) to port 995 with TLS.
<snip>

Mike, have you tried one of the emacs newsgroups? The fact that you
use Slackware is fairly irrelevant. (Of course, if you go there, you
may suffer the wrath of people who think you *must* use the newest
version of emacs, but after they tire themselves out you might find
some signal in the noise.)

Good luck!
Jim
Mike Spencer
2020-03-25 19:10:16 UTC
Post by Jim Diamond
Post by Mike Spencer
My ISP is about to switch POP3 mail service from port 110 (all
cleartext) to port 995 with TLS.
<snip>
Mike, have you tried one of the emacs newsgroups?
Not yet. But the last time I *did* do that, a kind soul pointed out to
me that the emacs mailing list was piped to comp.emacs but not the
other way around and that almost everybody read it on the list, not
on Usenet. So I haven't gone there yet. Subscribing to a new mailing
list when my email might disappear RSN seems non-optimal. :-)
Post by Jim Diamond
The fact that you use Slackware is fairly irrelevant.
Yes. Slackware distro includes Emacs but I have no idea how many
Slackers are emacs devotees, let alone emacs wizards.
Post by Jim Diamond
(Of course, if you go there, you may suffer the wrath of people who
think you *must* use the newest version of emacs...
Yes. Those people need to read David Masson,s "Traveller's Rest". [1]
Twice now, I've thought to bite the bullet and upgrade. In each case,
after spending hours groveling through elisp and seeking help, I've
given up trying to make colorization go away, other features behave as
I want/expect etc. and reverted to emacs 20.7.
Post by Jim Diamond
...but after they tire themselves out you might find some signal in
the noise.)
There's always that. :-)

[1] http://books.google.com/books?id=ICgS8-BYuh4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:%22David+I.+Masson%22&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Jim Diamond
2020-03-27 15:20:26 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by Jim Diamond
Post by Mike Spencer
My ISP is about to switch POP3 mail service from port 110 (all
cleartext) to port 995 with TLS.
<snip>
Mike, have you tried one of the emacs newsgroups?
Not yet. But the last time I *did* do that, a kind soul pointed out to
me that the emacs mailing list was piped to comp.emacs but not the
other way around and that almost everybody read it on the list, not
on Usenet.
Interesting. Huh. The "almost everybody" surprises me, but they
might be correct.
Post by Mike Spencer
So I haven't gone there yet. Subscribing to a new mailing list when
my email might disappear RSN seems non-optimal. :-)
Quite true.
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by Jim Diamond
The fact that you use Slackware is fairly irrelevant.
Yes. Slackware distro includes Emacs but I have no idea how many
Slackers are emacs devotees, let alone emacs wizards.
I've used emacs for a long time, but I wouldn't call myself a wizard.
However, I can answer the occasional question. (But not about mail in
emacs, I've never used emacs as an email client, just as an editor for
email messages.)
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by Jim Diamond
(Of course, if you go there, you may suffer the wrath of people who
think you *must* use the newest version of emacs...
Yes. Those people need to read David Masson,s "Traveller's Rest". [1]
Twice now, I've thought to bite the bullet and upgrade. In each case,
after spending hours groveling through elisp and seeking help, I've
given up trying to make colorization go away, other features behave as
I want/expect etc. and reverted to emacs 20.7.
Ummm... making colourization (since you are living in the Great White
North, you really should use a 'u' :-) go away should be easy. Did
the answer here
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/108257/how-do-i-stop-emacs-from-colouring-the-text-of-the-file-i-am-editing
not do it for you?

And, having said that, are you sure you don't want colourization?
Perhaps it is that the default colours are not to your taste and
picking ones more suitable for you would make you happy? I do not
like the default colours, but after playing around a bit and getting
colours I like, I can't imagine going back to editing (text, programs,
and so on) without colourization turned on.

Cheers.
Jim
Mike Spencer
2020-03-27 23:29:48 UTC
On 2020-03-25 at 16:10 ADT, Mike Spencer
Post by Mike Spencer
Yes. Those people need to read David Masson,s "Traveller's Rest".
Twice now, I've thought to bite the bullet and upgrade. In each case,
after spending hours groveling through elisp and seeking help, I've
given up trying to make colorization go away, other features behave as
I want/expect etc. and reverted to emacs 20.7.
Ummm... making colourization (since you are living in the Great White
North, you really should use a 'u' :-)...
Jeez, picky. I've only been here for 51 years next week and haven't
got all the details down pat yet. :-)
...go away should be easy. Did the answer here
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/108257/how-do-i-stop-emacs-from-colouring-the-text-of-the-file-i-am-editing
not do it for you?
Didn't look there AFAICR. Will have a look.
And, having said that, are you sure you don't want colourization?
Perhaps it is that the default colours are not to your taste and
picking ones more suitable for you would make you happy? I do not
like the default colours, but after playing around a bit and getting
colours I like, I can't imagine going back to editing (text, programs,
and so on) without colourization turned on.
I run X-aware instances and emacs -nw instances in xterms, all in
different colors. bg gray-green is a root shell; bg black is root on
another box; bg dark red is mail & news; bg orange is user on another
box; bg pale blue is misc tasks; bg pale green is for groveling
through text files or writing code (I'm a very much an amateur coder).

And emacs' choice of colorization AFAICT renders differently in each
case. Maybe it XORs the specified fg color code with something?
Dunno. Most annoying is the minibuffer where "Are you SURE your want
to delete all of today's work?" or "Global replace 'a' with random
string (y/n)" is unexpectedly unreadable. There are just too many
cases, each one (or each category, as seen by rms) is controlled by
separate elisp incantations.

Well, Ill have a look at the site you suggested. So far, 20.7 is
holding up well enough for me now that I have stunnel piping movemail
to the POP3 host.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Jim Diamond
2020-04-01 17:17:19 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
On 2020-03-25 at 16:10 ADT, Mike Spencer
Post by Mike Spencer
[...]
Gotcha. I also have a variety of colours for different tasks, and the
non-X colours I have set up really only look good in one of the
colours. Having said that, I rarely use emacs in a terminal (as
opposed to in an X window), so for me it is not a big deal.

If your emacs background colour is always the same, you could consider
turning off colourization only in the non-X case. (But that means you
still have to do a bit of emacs init.el hacking.)
Post by Mike Spencer
And emacs' choice of colorization AFAICT renders differently in each
case. Maybe it XORs the specified fg color code with something?
Dunno. Most annoying is the minibuffer where "Are you SURE your want
to delete all of today's work?" or "Global replace 'a' with random
string (y/n)" is unexpectedly unreadable.
Been there.
Post by Mike Spencer
There are just too many cases, each one (or each category, as seen
by rms) is controlled by separate elisp incantations.
Well, Ill have a look at the site you suggested. So far, 20.7 is
holding up well enough for me now that I have stunnel piping movemail
to the POP3 host.
Glad to hear that all is good.

Jim