ethernet connected scanner, anybody?
R2-D2
2021-10-25 09:31:15 UTC
Hi all,

I have in my lan an HP Laser MFP 137 fnw printer
(https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA7-4981EEAP.pdf).

I print with it already with cups, and I have Xsane installed, which I
previously used with an usb connected scanner. Now I would like to reach the new
scanner at its ip address, but I can't figure it out. Google only returns lots
of info about other distros.

About Slackware, I've only found this, but it is relevant to usb-connected
scanners on another Slackware machine:
https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:network_services:scanning_with_sane_in_a_network

I'd like to have it standalone, on its own ethernet cable.

Any hint appreciated, thanks.
Henrik Carlqvist
2021-10-26 05:42:29 UTC
Post by R2-D2
I'd like to have it standalone, on its own ethernet cable.
Any hint appreciated, thanks.
A good place to start would be http://sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

There are a few listed scanners there with ethernet connections but
unfortunately your printer/scanner is not even listed with USB support.

If you put any value in your time, the cheapest solution is probably to
buy another scanner. If you don't want to waste money like that there is
also the option to learn to code, find specifications and/or reverse
engineer your scanner to write your own sane driver.

Looking at the specifications in the pdf file you linked to I don't see
any mention of standard protocols like SMTP or file formats like PDF.
Otherwise it might have been possible to configure the scanner to send
scanned pages in email. But all that is mentioned is some HP app supposed
to run on a smartphone.

regards Henrik
K. Venken
2021-10-27 08:58:22 UTC
Post by R2-D2
[...]
You can give https://www.hamrick.com/ a try. It's not free but (a little
bit) cheaper. Unfortunately, the exact model is not mentioned in the
support list, so it is a long shot,... You can try it for one month.

I have been using it a long time ago and, at least at that time, I liked
it much better then the other software around. But that's several years
ago (I think still in 13.34 era)

kind regards.

Ralph Spitzner
2021-10-26 17:19:24 UTC
Post by R2-D2
Hi all,
I have in my lan an HP Laser MFP 137 fnw printer
(https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA7-4981EEAP.pdf).
uld-hp_V1.00.39.12_00.15.tar.gz
from
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laser-mfp-130-printer-series/24494378/model/24494385

has some sane stuff in it, the .cfg file mentions "network", so try to put the files from the tar.gz
in the right directories and try again
John Forkosh
2021-10-27 03:29:08 UTC
Post by R2-D2
Hi all,
I have in my lan an HP Laser MFP 137 fnw printer
(https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA7-4981EEAP.pdf).
I print with it already with cups, and I have Xsane installed, which I
previously used with an usb connected scanner. Now I would like to
reach the new scanner at its ip address, but I can't figure it out.
Google only returns lots of info about other distros.
About Slackware, I've only found this, but it is relevant to usb-connected
https://docs.slackware.com/
howtos:network_services:scanning_with_sane_in_a_network
I'd like to have it standalone, on its own ethernet cable.
Any hint appreciated, thanks.
If you can't get xsane working with it, check your router for
the printer's ip address, and then point your browser directly
to that (presumably 192.168.1.xxx) address. I have (among others)
an HP Envy 4500 that I use primarily for scanning. Although
xsane recognizes it, its "homepage" at 192.168.1.xxx (.160 in
my case) has a "Scan Page" tab that's simpler and better than
the xsane interface. So check your printer's "homepage" to see
what functions it provides. If scanning's one of them, maybe
you're good to go that way.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )