problem with .pdf files
john connolly
2019-04-22 22:31:54 UTC
Hi, I'm using slack 14.2 and have been printing .pdf files for a long
time. Suddenly, today, I get an error message when I try to print one
using both adobe and xpdf. Going through the diagnostic process doesn't
solve the problem. The cups error log is a mile long and I can't
interpret it. The openoffice word processor prints .odt files ok.
This is a problem that occurred from one day to the next without my
making any changes on my pc.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, jwc
Eli the Bearded
2019-04-23 00:58:27 UTC
Post by john connolly
Any suggestions would be appreciated, jwc
For starters, what's the error message you say you get?

Are both Adobe and xpdf able to view the PDF on screen (guessing this is
yes).

Consider starting a `tail -f` on the cups log before printing this,
trying to print and seeing the exact errors that *this* file has
produced.

Elijah
------
generally uses xpdf for PDFs but finds evince is better for a rare cases
Rich
2019-04-23 10:30:44 UTC
Post by john connolly
Hi, I'm using slack 14.2 and have been printing .pdf files for a long
time. Suddenly, today, I get an error message when I try to print one
using both adobe and xpdf.
In what alternate universe did you think it was a good idea to *not*
include the error message text that you got?
Post by john connolly
Going through the diagnostic process doesn't solve the problem.
What /diagnostic process/?
Post by john connolly
The cups error log is a mile long and I can't interpret it.
You would only need to look at the end (last part) of the file.
Post by john connolly
The openoffice word processor prints .odt files ok. This is a
problem that occurred from one day to the next without my making any
changes on my pc. Any suggestions would be appreciated, jwc
Is the problem with just this one pdf?

If yes, then what does a problem printing /just this one pdf/ tell you
might be the issue?
Steve555
2019-06-19 15:59:19 UTC
Post by john connolly
Hi, I'm using slack 14.2 and have been printing .pdf files for a long
time. Suddenly, today, I get an error message when I try to print one
using both adobe and xpdf. Going through the diagnostic process doesn't
solve the problem. The cups error log is a mile long and I can't
interpret it. The openoffice word processor prints .odt files ok.
This is a problem that occurred from one day to the next without my
making any changes on my pc.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, jwc
Since you said .odt's print from openoffice, can you print a pdf
from within openoffice? That would be the first thing I would try.
Or, if you save a .odt as pdf from within openoffice, can you
print that?

Also, check whether xpdf/adobe are using the same print queue as
openoffice. Compare the printer settings between the two.

If you suspect something lower down the stack, you can go into
cups at localhost://631, select your printer under 'printers'
and hit the 'select test page' option, and see if you get any
errors. That has the advantage of avoiding problems in
applications themselves and testing cups directly.
--
Gnd -|o----|- Vcc Hey computer, what's the weather in Sydney?
trig -| 555 |- dschrg $ finger o:***@graph.no|tail -1|espeak