Help me pick ab RSS Reader for 14.2
2020-11-14 15:55:18 UTC
I want to look into using a news aggregator but I have no
prior experience with the technology. I would appreciate
any advice about how to jump into RSS.

Thanks.
andrew
2020-11-15 09:07:48 UTC
I want to look into using a news aggregator but I have no
prior experience with the technology. I would appreciate
any advice about how to jump into RSS.
Because I am lazy I simply use akregator which comes as a part of a
full Slackware install...

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
root
2020-11-15 15:22:42 UTC
Thanks for responding.
maus
2020-11-15 17:27:10 UTC
Post by andrew
Because I am lazy I simply use akregator which comes as a part of a
full Slackware install...
Andrew
Thanks for responding.
Please do not post as root. In some instances it can have unexpected
results.

There are lots of news readers, akregator is part of the package.
***@mail.com
Kirk_Rockstein
2020-11-15 18:53:20 UTC
I want to look into using a news aggregator but I have no
prior experience with the technology. I would appreciate
any advice about how to jump into RSS.
Thanks.
Newsboat is an RSS/Atom feed reader for the text console.

https://newsboat.org/
https://newsboat.org/releases/2.21/newsboat-2.21.tar.xz

Voracious is a customizable web feed aggregator for your browser.
I have it installed in Debian Sid
but would be easily installed on Slackware.

https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/src/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/screenshots/

depend:
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/python2-xynehttpserver/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/python2-xynehttpserver/src/
root
2020-11-16 19:05:36 UTC
Post by Kirk_Rockstein
Newsboat is an RSS/Atom feed reader for the text console.
https://newsboat.org/
https://newsboat.org/releases/2.21/newsboat-2.21.tar.xz
Voracious is a customizable web feed aggregator for your browser.
I have it installed in Debian Sid
but would be easily installed on Slackware.
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/src/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/screenshots/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/python2-xynehttpserver/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/python2-xynehttpserver/src/
Thanks for responding. Are there differences which lead you
to prefer on aggregator over another?
root
2020-11-17 16:57:38 UTC
root <***@home.org> wrote:

Thanks for all that responded. I think Dogpile fulfills all
my expectations for an aggregator.
Javier
2020-11-24 02:00:49 UTC
I want to look into using a news aggregator but I have no
prior experience with the technology. I would appreciate
any advice about how to jump into RSS.
I want to look into using a news aggregator but I have no
prior experience with the technology. I would appreciate
any advice about how to jump into RSS.
Following the UNIX philosophy the best is to use a rss to email
converter and read them with your favourite mailreader, instead of
an integrated rss client.

rssdrop # A Perl script to deliver rss feeds to Maildirs.
rss2email # delivering news from RSS feeds to your email
feed2maildir # RSS/Atom feeds to maildir

The only limitation is that you will need a maildir-compatible email client.
But you can overcome that with fdm (akin to procmail).

Thunderbird is not fully maildir-compatible, but should work ok (it
lacks support for either /cur or /new subdir and instead it uses a
file to keep track of read messages).

#!/usr/bin/env bash
dest_main_dir=${HOME}/RSS
tempdir=${dest_main_dir}/temp
mkdir -p ${tempdir}
mkdir -p ${dest_main_dir}/m
rssdrop_cmd="rssdrop --verbose"\
" --mailfolder ${dest_main_dir}/m"

declare -A feeds_d
feeds_d=([feed1]='http://www.page1.com/news/rss/'
[feed2]='http://www.page2.com/rss/')

for i in ${!feeds_d[*]}; do
# use extension xml
rm -f ${tempdir}/${i}.xml
wget -O ${tempdir}/${i}.xml "${feeds_d[${i}]}"
mkdir -p ${dest_main_dir}/m/${i}/{cur,new,tmp}
${rssdrop_cmd} -a ${i} file://${tempdir}/${i}.xml
${rssdrop_cmd} ${i}
done