Help me pick ab RSS Reader for 14.2
2020-11-14 15:55:18 UTC
I want to look into using a news aggregator but I have no
prior experience with the technology. I would appreciate
any advice about how to jump into RSS.

Thanks.
andrew
2020-11-15 09:07:48 UTC
I want to look into using a news aggregator but I have no
prior experience with the technology. I would appreciate
any advice about how to jump into RSS.
Because I am lazy I simply use akregator which comes as a part of a
full Slackware install...

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
root
2020-11-15 15:22:42 UTC
Thanks for responding.
maus
2020-11-15 17:27:10 UTC
Post by andrew
Because I am lazy I simply use akregator which comes as a part of a
full Slackware install...
Andrew
Thanks for responding.
Please do not post as root. In some instances it can have unexpected
results.

There are lots of news readers, akregator is part of the package.
***@mail.com
#Paul
2020-12-03 21:15:22 UTC
Post by andrew
Because I am lazy I simply use akregator which comes
as a part of a full Slackware install...
I used akregator for a long time and was generally happy
with it; although now I tend to avoid kde stuff and so
use rssguard instead.

#Paul
Kirk_Rockstein
2020-11-15 18:53:20 UTC
I want to look into using a news aggregator but I have no
prior experience with the technology. I would appreciate
any advice about how to jump into RSS.
Thanks.
Newsboat is an RSS/Atom feed reader for the text console.

https://newsboat.org/
https://newsboat.org/releases/2.21/newsboat-2.21.tar.xz

Voracious is a customizable web feed aggregator for your browser.
I have it installed in Debian Sid
but would be easily installed on Slackware.

https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/src/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/screenshots/

depend:
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/python2-xynehttpserver/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/python2-xynehttpserver/src/
root
2020-11-16 19:05:36 UTC
Post by Kirk_Rockstein
Newsboat is an RSS/Atom feed reader for the text console.
https://newsboat.org/
https://newsboat.org/releases/2.21/newsboat-2.21.tar.xz
Voracious is a customizable web feed aggregator for your browser.
I have it installed in Debian Sid
but would be easily installed on Slackware.
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/src/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/voracious/screenshots/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/python2-xynehttpserver/
https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/python2-xynehttpserver/src/
Thanks for responding. Are there differences which lead you
to prefer on aggregator over another?
root
2020-11-17 16:57:38 UTC
root <***@home.org> wrote:

Thanks for all that responded. I think Dogpile fulfills all
my expectations for an aggregator.
Javier
2020-11-24 02:00:49 UTC
I want to look into using a news aggregator but I have no
prior experience with the technology. I would appreciate
any advice about how to jump into RSS.
I want to look into using a news aggregator but I have no
prior experience with the technology. I would appreciate
any advice about how to jump into RSS.
Following the UNIX philosophy the best is to use a rss to email
converter and read them with your favourite mailreader, instead of
an integrated rss client.

rssdrop # A Perl script to deliver rss feeds to Maildirs.
rss2email # delivering news from RSS feeds to your email
feed2maildir # RSS/Atom feeds to maildir

The only limitation is that you will need a maildir-compatible email client.
But you can overcome that with fdm (akin to procmail).

Thunderbird is not fully maildir-compatible, but should work ok (it
lacks support for either /cur or /new subdir and instead it uses a
file to keep track of read messages).

#!/usr/bin/env bash
dest_main_dir=${HOME}/RSS
tempdir=${dest_main_dir}/temp
mkdir -p ${tempdir}
mkdir -p ${dest_main_dir}/m
rssdrop_cmd="rssdrop --verbose"\
" --mailfolder ${dest_main_dir}/m"

declare -A feeds_d
feeds_d=([feed1]='http://www.page1.com/news/rss/'
[feed2]='http://www.page2.com/rss/')

for i in ${!feeds_d[*]}; do
# use extension xml
rm -f ${tempdir}/${i}.xml
wget -O ${tempdir}/${i}.xml "${feeds_d[${i}]}"
mkdir -p ${dest_main_dir}/m/${i}/{cur,new,tmp}
${rssdrop_cmd} -a ${i} file://${tempdir}/${i}.xml
${rssdrop_cmd} ${i}
done
root
Thanks for responding.
a***@openbsd.home
2020-12-08 23:47:09 UTC
Post by Javier
Post by root
[...]
I'd use sfeed to fetch the items, sfeed_curses on ~/.sfeed/feeds/* to
display them, and lynx/links as the URL opener. Easy, no mail
required, and still Unix friendly. And fast.

Per Christensen
2020-11-25 01:45:49 UTC
I want to look into using a news aggregator but I have no prior
experience with the technology. I would appreciate any advice about how
to jump into RSS.
Thanks.
Thunderbird is nice - for mail, usenet and RSS feeds - frequently updated
and works on 32 bit. Also Pale Moon Browser can manage RSS feeds where
the headers will show up in a folder in the bookmarks drop down list
root
2020-11-25 19:11:01 UTC
Post by Per Christensen
Thunderbird is nice - for mail, usenet and RSS feeds - frequently updated
and works on 32 bit. Also Pale Moon Browser can manage RSS feeds where
the headers will show up in a folder in the bookmarks drop down list
Thanks for responding. It seems to me that Dogpile fills what I had
expected from RSS feeds without any setup problems. Although
I'm still not informed about RSS, Dogpile allows me to news by
various search criteria.