Mouse problems
2019-11-17 18:54:32 UTC
Last night my mouse stopped working correctly under X.
The computer is a server that has been up since May
of this year and runs 64 bit 14.2. The symptom is
that the buttons didn't work except that middle wheel
scroll did work.

I first changed the mouse battery; when that failed to fix
the problem I switched to a different, but identical
make/model Logitech mouse and dongle. That didn't fix
the problem.

I then restarted X, but that didn't fix the problem.

So I then rebooted into a backup partition and that
fixed the problem for a while, but then the buttons
again stopped working.

I left the machine running over night and rebooted again
this morning. After a number of reboots I got the
displays (2) running and the system is (now) back to
normal.

Everything looks normal in the sensors output:
temperatures of the 4 cores are 50C as is the
motherboard.

I would like any suggestions about what you would do
if your mouse stopped working under X or can you
think of what the problem might have been?

Thanks.
John McCue
2019-11-17 22:57:43 UTC
Last night my mouse stopped working correctly under X.
<snip>
Post by root
I would like any suggestions about what you would do
if your mouse stopped working under X or can you
think of what the problem might have been?
Thanks.
Some things to try

1. Is it a USB Mouse ? If so maybe try and
plug it into a different USB slot.
2. How about trying a different model ?
3. Does it work fine in the console with gpm ?
4. Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Are you running multilib ? If so maybe
things got mixed up. Also I never used
multilib so if that is the issue I will
be of no help.

John
root
2019-11-17 23:56:33 UTC
Post by John McCue
Some things to try
1. Is it a USB Mouse ? If so maybe try and
plug it into a different USB slot.
Yes it is a USB mouse with a Dongle. I connected
the dongle into a different USB port without
any effect.
Post by John McCue
2. How about trying a different model ?
I didn't have any other spare mice, this was at
2AM last night.
Post by John McCue
3. Does it work fine in the console with gpm ?
Yes, after shutting down X the mouse movement and
clicking did work under the console.
Post by John McCue
4. Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
Nothing showed as a problem with the mouse in the log.
Post by John McCue
Are you running multilib ? If so maybe
things got mixed up. Also I never used
multilib so if that is the issue I will
be of no help.
I do not run multilib.
Post by John McCue
John
Thanks for responding John.

The really baffling thing to me is that the system
is running fine today without *any* change to anything.
John McCue
2019-11-18 00:33:37 UTC
<snip>
Post by root
Thanks for responding John.
The really baffling thing to me is that the system
is running fine today without *any* change to anything.
Really odd, maybe dust and moving it around
dislodged something. :)

John
Ned Latham
2019-11-18 00:57:04 UTC
Post by John McCue
Post by root
The really baffling thing to me is that the system
is running fine today without *any* change to anything.
Really odd, maybe dust and moving it around
dislodged something. :)
I had a vaguely similar problem with a sound card at one time.
I was able to solve it eventually with an entry in one of the
startup scripts (or maybe it was in modules?).

Everything was fine after that, but nowadays I don't remember
the details, sorry.

HTH
Bit Twister
2019-11-18 01:13:58 UTC
Post by John McCue
Some things to try
1. Is it a USB Mouse ? If so maybe try and
plug it into a different USB slot.
Yes it is a USB mouse with a Dongle. I connected
the dongle into a different USB port without
any effect.
You might want to look around in your bios menu. It could be that
if set fast boot, it does not do a full io port scan thus missing
the usb port looking for a mouse.
root
2019-11-18 05:42:23 UTC
Post by Bit Twister
You might want to look around in your bios menu. It could be that
if set fast boot, it does not do a full io port scan thus missing
the usb port looking for a mouse.
Thanks for responding. The system had been up since last May and
operating perfectly well all along. In fact, it was operating
normally at 8pm the previous night. I went for a run at
around 11pm, and by the time I got back at 2am the mouse was
not working. Nothing makes sense to me.
B3n3d1ctus
2019-11-18 06:10:10 UTC
You might want to look around in your bios menu. It could be that if
set fast boot, it does not do a full io port scan thus missing the usb
port looking for a mouse.
Thanks for responding. The system had been up since last May and
operating perfectly well all along. In fact, it was operating normally
at 8pm the previous night. I went for a run at around 11pm, and by the
time I got back at 2am the mouse was not working. Nothing makes sense to
me.
High energy particle(s) from outer space, perhaps ?
Just a guess.

B3n
Ned Latham
2019-11-18 08:34:22 UTC
Thanks for responding. The system had been up since last May and
operating perfectly well all along. In fact, it was operating
normally at 8pm the previous night. I went for a run at
around 11pm, and by the time I got back at 2am the mouse was
not working. Nothing makes sense to me.
Someone interfered with it?

BTW; why does your mouse need a battery?
Rich
2019-11-18 14:51:12 UTC
Post by Ned Latham
Post by root
Thanks for responding. The system had been up since last May and
operating perfectly well all along. In fact, it was operating
normally at 8pm the previous night. I went for a run at
around 11pm, and by the time I got back at 2am the mouse was
not working. Nothing makes sense to me.
Someone interfered with it?
BTW; why does your mouse need a battery?
Generally the reason for this is that it is a wireless mouse rather
than a wired mouse. Not that the OP was very clear on that point.

Which if true, means that the OP has yet one more failure possibility
to consider, something interfered with the wireless comm link
sufficiently to prevent the mouse from talking to the USB receiver
dongle in the computer.
root
2019-11-18 15:06:00 UTC
Post by Ned Latham
BTW; why does your mouse need a battery?
Generally the reason for this is that it is a wireless mouse rather
than a wired mouse. Not that the OP was very clear on that point.
Which if true, means that the OP has yet one more failure possibility
to consider, something interfered with the wireless comm link
sufficiently to prevent the mouse from talking to the USB receiver
dongle in the computer.
I wrote that the mouse is wireless Logitech with a USB dongle.
I pulled an equivalent mouse/dongle pair from my wife's computer
which behaved the same as my mouse. I tried the dongle in a
different USB port with no success as well.
Rich
2019-11-18 15:44:04 UTC
Post by Ned Latham
BTW; why does your mouse need a battery?
Generally the reason for this is that it is a wireless mouse rather
than a wired mouse. Not that the OP was very clear on that point.
Which if true, means that the OP has yet one more failure possibility
to consider, something interfered with the wireless comm link
sufficiently to prevent the mouse from talking to the USB receiver
dongle in the computer.
I wrote that the mouse is wireless Logitech with a USB dongle.
Ah, no, you did not...
Post by root
I first changed the mouse battery; when that failed to fix the
problem I switched to a different, but identical make/model Logitech
mouse and dongle. That didn't fix the problem.
Closest mention of "wireless" is "changed the mouse battery" -- which
granted, highly implies wireless, but you left such implied.

Then, in a second reply, to someone asking if it was a USB mouse, you
Post by root
Yes it is a USB mouse with a Dongle. I connected the dongle into a
different USB port without any effect.
Which again leaves the fact that it is wireless up to implication, in
that generally, when most say 'dongle' they mean wireless mouse dongle.
But you never once explicitly stated it was a "wireless" mouse.
Post by root
I pulled an equivalent mouse/dongle pair from my wife's computer
which behaved the same as my mouse. I tried the dongle in a
different USB port with no success as well.
Which would seem to potentially rule out wireless comms interference.
Unless you live near a microwave oven factory or a major radar
installation and one or the other was leaking a huge amount of
interference in the 2.4Ghz bands.
Ned Latham
2019-11-18 16:25:48 UTC
Post by Ned Latham
Post by root
Thanks for responding. The system had been up since last May and
operating perfectly well all along. In fact, it was operating
normally at 8pm the previous night. I went for a run at
around 11pm, and by the time I got back at 2am the mouse was
not working. Nothing makes sense to me.
Someone interfered with it?
BTW; why does your mouse need a battery?
Generally the reason for this is that it is a wireless mouse rather
than a wired mouse. Not that the OP was very clear on that point.
He did say that he plugged it in (to USB).
Post by Rich
Which if true, means that the OP has yet one more failure possibility
to consider, something interfered with the wireless comm link
sufficiently to prevent the mouse from talking to the USB receiver
dongle in the computer.
That might explain the intermittent nature of the problem: someone's
nearby using a device that produces RFI.

Ralph Spitzner
2019-11-18 11:42:53 UTC
Last night my mouse stopped working correctly under X.
The computer is a server that has been up since May
of this year and runs 64 bit 14.2. The symptom is
Sometimes my left mouse button stops working under X (Usb).
Switching to a console (ctrl-alt-f1), maring some text (yes with the button)
and switching back to X (crtl-alt-f7) solves this here for a while, no clue where
thats comming from, though....

-rasp
root
2019-11-18 15:14:00 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by root
Last night my mouse stopped working correctly under X.
The computer is a server that has been up since May
of this year and runs 64 bit 14.2. The symptom is
Sometimes my left mouse button stops working under X (Usb).
Switching to a console (ctrl-alt-f1), maring some text (yes with the button)
and switching back to X (crtl-alt-f7) solves this here for a while, no clue where
thats comming from, though....
-rasp
I think your problem must be related to what happened to me.
I remember two things which I had not previously mentioned:

the mouse cursor changed to a black circle from an arrow.

the back/forward/reload... pull down menu would pop up
as if I clicked the right button every once in a while.

The left button simply did nothing, the middle button would
scroll the screen but nothing else. I was clicking the
buttons all over the screen to see it anything worked.
I am certain that I right clicked from time to time.
It is as if the mouse stacked up operations but spun its
wheels for a long time before attending to the function.

I will remember your trick to restore left button click.

Thanks.