lilo problem
john connolly
2019-10-03 20:02:43 UTC
Hi, I have been using slack 14.2 with various modifications since it was
distributed. Recently the command 'lilo' has been slow to start but has
run without an issue, however when I tried it today it hung altogether.
The command lilo config also hangs. I have reinstalled the lilo package
but that hasn't helped. Under the circumstances I am hesitant to reboot.
I can post my lilo.conf file but it hasn't changed for some time. So any
suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, jwc
lj
2019-10-04 00:54:02 UTC
Post by john connolly
Hi, I have been using slack 14.2 with various modifications since it was
distributed. Recently the command 'lilo' has been slow to start but has run
without an issue, however when I tried it today it hung altogether. The
command lilo config also hangs. I have reinstalled the lilo package but that
hasn't helped. Under the circumstances I am hesitant to reboot. I can post my
lilo.conf file but it hasn't changed for some time. So any suggestions would
be appreciated.
Thanks, jwc
One thing lilo does when run is check all attached disks, even if not
mentioned in lilo.conf. On my PC that means it wakes up my sleeping external
USB drive, which takes a few seconds. Perhaps you have a similar situation: An
attached USB (or other) hard drive, which is asleep and having trouble waking?
john connolly
2019-10-04 17:32:41 UTC
Post by lj
Post by john connolly
Hi, I have been using slack 14.2 with various modifications since it
was distributed. Recently the command 'lilo' has been slow to start
but has run without an issue, however when I tried it today it hung
altogether. The command lilo config also hangs. I have reinstalled the
lilo package but that hasn't helped. Under the circumstances I am
hesitant to reboot. I can post my lilo.conf file but it hasn't changed
for some time. So any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, jwc
One thing lilo does when run is check all attached disks, even if not
mentioned in lilo.conf. On my PC that means it wakes up my sleeping
external USB drive, which takes a few seconds. Perhaps you have a
similar situation: An attached USB (or other) hard drive, which is
asleep and having trouble waking?
Thanks for the reply. The hang lasts indefinitely so I don't think that
time is the issue here.
Henrik Carlqvist
2019-10-04 18:58:38 UTC
Post by john connolly
Post by lj
Post by john connolly
[...]
If you have a hanged lilo process you might be able to use strace to see
what it is doing. It might also be interesting to see which files it has
opened by studying /proc/<pid>/fd

Maybe you will find that it has opened some USB disk which is totally
hanged or maybe removed without being unmounted.

regards Henrik
john connolly
2019-10-04 20:27:15 UTC
Post by john connolly
Post by lj
Post by john connolly
[...]
Ok, My lilo.conf is set up for multibooting on different disks. For some
reason the secondary disks are not available so lilo is hanging. There
my be some underlying problem in my system but at least this problem is
solved.Thanks for your help.