"Beta approaches. :-)"
Lew Pitcher
2021-02-02 16:39:29 UTC
Just noticed this line in the 64bit slackware-current changelog for Jan
18, 2021:
Beta approaches. :-)

Drum roll, please .....
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
Henrik Carlqvist
2021-02-02 19:35:05 UTC
Post by Lew Pitcher
Just noticed this line in the 64bit slackware-current changelog for Jan
Beta approaches. :-)
Drum roll, please .....
Great! Maybe there will be a 15.0 some time this summer then.

regards Henrik
Cpt (aka Cor Takken)
2021-02-03 19:42:32 UTC
Post by Lew Pitcher
Just noticed this line in the 64bit slackware-current changelog for Jan
Beta approaches. :-)
Drum roll, please .....
Great! Maybe there will be a 15.0 some time this summer then.
regards Henrik
Why not a version 20.2.1?

I'm looking very much forward to using it...

Regards

Cor
Henrik Carlqvist
2021-02-05 07:19:22 UTC
Post by Cpt (aka Cor Takken)
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Great! Maybe there will be a 15.0 some time this summer then.
Why not a version 20.2.1?
There was such a version bump when Slackware 7.0 was released year 2000
after version 4.0 which came 1999. However, the biggest version number
for Slackware so far is probably "Slackware 96" which was come kind of
alias for Slackware 3.1 from 1996.

regards Henrik
Alessandro Selli
2021-02-05 11:25:40 UTC
Post by Cpt (aka Cor Takken)
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Great! Maybe there will be a 15.0 some time this summer then.
Why not a version 20.2.1?
There was such a version bump when Slackware 7.0 was released year 2000
after version 4.0 which came 1999. However, the biggest version number
for Slackware so far is probably "Slackware 96" which was come kind of
alias for Slackware 3.1 from 1996.
They could as well have a Slackware 10 Reloaded Edition!

Think of the novelty this would ring: no one wound back a version
number for a new release. Sort of "Back to the Future". Let's step
back to thrust ourselves forward!
--
Alessandro Selli
PGP/GPG signing and encoding key:
BA651E4050DDFC31E17384BABCE7BD1A1B0DF2AE
Javier
2021-02-05 12:14:48 UTC
There was such a version bump when Slackware 7.0 was released year 2000
after version 4.0 which came 1999.
I remember that. The version number bump was explained in the release
notes. Pat was just being ironic, because Red Hat was increasing
version numbers just for the sake of marketing without making any
major upgrades.
I guess Pat was mocking MS Windows 95.
Cpt (aka Cor Takken)
2021-02-07 12:10:47 UTC
Post by Cpt (aka Cor Takken)
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Great! Maybe there will be a 15.0 some time this summer then.
Why not a version 20.2.1?
There was such a version bump when Slackware 7.0 was released year 2000
after version 4.0 which came 1999. However, the biggest version number
for Slackware so far is probably "Slackware 96" which was come kind of
alias for Slackware 3.1 from 1996.
regards Henrik
Yes, and there was the infamous jump to 13.37 as well...

Cor
Mike Small
2021-02-09 21:11:21 UTC
Post by Cpt (aka Cor Takken)
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Post by Lew Pitcher
Just noticed this line in the 64bit slackware-current changelog for Jan
Beta approaches. :-)
Drum roll, please .....
Great! Maybe there will be a 15.0 some time this summer then.
regards Henrik
Why not a version 20.2.1?
I'm looking very much forward to using it...
When it comes to a more beautiful version number I say 22.21. This is
probably not the right forum to explain why. Maybe it would annoy
some.

- Mike
Lew Pitcher
2021-02-09 21:22:06 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by Cpt (aka Cor Takken)
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Post by Lew Pitcher
Just noticed this line in the 64bit slackware-current changelog for
Beta approaches. :-)
Drum roll, please .....
Great! Maybe there will be a 15.0 some time this summer then.
regards Henrik
Why not a version 20.2.1?
I'm looking very much forward to using it...
When it comes to a more beautiful version number I say 22.21. This is
probably not the right forum to explain why. Maybe it would annoy some.
- Mike
Speculation on the upcoming version number might be moot...
Back in 2018, Pat made the following entry in the Current changelog:

Thu Apr 12 23:00:51 UTC 2018
a/aaa_base-14.2-x86_64-3.txz: Rebuilt.
If the system is running -current, append a "+" to
/etc/slackware-version.
Identify the system as stable or current in /etc/os-release by setting
VERSION_CODENAME to either stable or current. In PRETTY_NAME, really
spell it out, e.g: PRETTY_NAME="Slackware 14.2 (pre-15.0 -current)"

Note the "PRETTY_NAME" above.

;-)
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
Jimmy Johnson
2021-02-09 23:46:03 UTC
Post by Lew Pitcher
Post by Mike Small
Post by Cpt (aka Cor Takken)
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Post by Lew Pitcher
[...]
The latest upgrades to current replaced 'slackpkg' with 14.2 as the
preselected version. Go figure? Personally I want what their smoking.

AntiX-19.3 KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
2021-02-09 21:31:05 UTC
Post by Mike Small
Post by Cpt (aka Cor Takken)
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
Post by Lew Pitcher
Just noticed this line in the 64bit slackware-current changelog for Jan
Beta approaches. :-)
Drum roll, please .....
Great! Maybe there will be a 15.0 some time this summer then.
regards Henrik
Why not a version 20.2.1?
I'm looking very much forward to using it...
When it comes to a more beautiful version number I say 22.21. This
is probably not the right forum to explain why. Maybe it would annoy
some.
Another number could be 2112 but I wonder how many here will get the
reference.
Mike Small
2021-02-12 02:41:52 UTC
In article <rvuuuo$fdh$***@dont-email.me>, Rich <***@example.invalid> wrote:
Another number could be 2112 but I wonder how many here will get the
reference.
I've somehow the impression that many Slackware users are
Canadian. And probably a disproportionate number of prog-rock fans are
serious about their computers. So I'd think it would be recognized by
many.

I like it. The lyrics kind of feel right for Slackware. Surprised
there hasn't been an OpenBSD song based on it too.

- Mike

noel
2021-02-07 13:31:22 UTC
Post by Lew Pitcher
Just noticed this line in the 64bit slackware-current changelog for Jan
Beta approaches. :-)
Drum roll, please .....
Great! Maybe there will be a 15.0 some time this summer then.
regards Henrik
There wont be 15 release until the usb fuckup is fixed
then there is also hte new kernel hissyfits for vesa
and the latest glibc updates have royally fucked a few things