Alien Bob Nodejs
Rinaldi J. Montessi
2020-08-17 13:59:07 UTC
Why two versions?

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/nodejs/pkg64/current/

Rinaldi
--
Critic, n.:
A person who boasts himself hard to please because nobody tries
to please him.
2020-08-20 05:03:02 UTC
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Why two versions?
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/nodejs/pkg64/current/
Probably because nodjs themselves at https://nodejs.org/en/ let you
choose between two versions:

1) An older LTS version recommended for most users
2) A newer current version with the latest features

It is a bit like Slackware itself, you can choose to download some old
obsolete version, some old but still maintained version, the latest
stable version or the current development version. There are lots of
versions to choose from!

regards Henrik
John Forkosh
2020-08-20 07:05:39 UTC
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Why two versions?
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/nodejs/pkg64/current/
Probably because nodjs themselves at https://nodejs.org/en/ let you
1) An older LTS version recommended for most users
2) A newer current version with the latest features
It is a bit like Slackware itself, you can choose to download some old
obsolete version, some old but still maintained version, the latest
stable version or the current development version. There are lots of
versions to choose from! regards Henrik
By "latest stable version" of slackware, do you mean 14.2
from, if I recall, 2016? Or is there any more recent version
that's also considered "stable", i.e., at least a little more
stable than the "current development" version whose changelog
changes pretty much daily?

I've kind of given up on ever seeing an official 15.0.
With the slackware store gone, and given PV's forum remarks
about dvd's, there'll likely never be any official 15.0
dvd set, which reduces the motivation (at least the
monetary motivation) to finalize an official 15.0.
And ~four years since 14.2 just reinforces that conjecture.
So what to do if you're looking for something "asap", i.e.,
"as stable as possible", but more recent than 14.2 ?????
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-08-20 18:30:38 UTC
Post by John Forkosh
By "latest stable version" of slackware, do you mean 14.2
Yes.
Post by John Forkosh
from, if I recall, 2016?
I would rather say from yesterday... From the 14.2 changelog:

-8<----------------------------------------------------------
Wed Aug 19 18:13:44 UTC 2020
patches/packages/curl-7.72.0-i586-1_slack14.2.txz: Upgraded.
This update fixes a security issue:
-8<----------------------------------------------------------

But yes, 14.2 was initially released Thu Jun 30 2016, a little more than
4 years ago.

regards Henrik
bad sector
2020-08-20 12:25:04 UTC
Post by Rinaldi J. Montessi
Why two versions?
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/nodejs/pkg64/current/
Probably because nodjs themselves at https://nodejs.org/en/ let you
1) An older LTS version recommended for most users
2) A newer current version with the latest features
It is a bit like Slackware itself
Or Suse with the stable Leap-15.2 VS. the rolling-release development
Tumbleweed that more often than not is even more stable :-)

I do hope that 15.0 does come around though, don't much care for a
release every six months but every 2-3 years would sound about right, or
a rolling release which I'm starting to really relate to!
Jimmy Johnson
2020-08-22 10:28:48 UTC
Post by bad sector
I do hope that 15.0 does come around though, don't much care for a
release every six months but every 2-3 years would sound about right, or
a rolling release which I'm starting to really relate to!
You should be happy with Slackware64 Current KDE4, latest qt5 under a
perfect working kde4 desktop. I have a feeling that is what the the
next release will be. I see changes being made in kde4 systemsettings
where things are changing with new qt5 applications and settings for
users that I have not yet tested. It maybe bloated with both qt4 and 5
but I think well worth the bloat when it's the only system you need and
where kdf, what I feel is the best disk manager in linux still works.

Slackware64 Current KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263
Aragorn
2020-08-22 10:49:34 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by bad sector
I do hope that 15.0 does come around though, don't much care for a
release every six months but every 2-3 years would sound about
right, or a rolling release which I'm starting to really relate to!
You should be happy with Slackware64 Current KDE4, latest qt5 under a
perfect working kde4 desktop. I have a feeling that is what the the
next release will be. I see changes being made in kde4 systemsettings
where things are changing with new qt5 applications and settings for
users that I have not yet tested. It maybe bloated with both qt4 and
5 but I think well worth the bloat when it's the only system you need
and where kdf, what I feel is the best disk manager in linux still
works.
KDE 4 was a bit on the heavy side, but Plasma 5 most definitely isn't.
Its memory footprint is on par with that of XFCE. Definitely not
bloated, but you get (a lot) more bang for the buck.
--
With respect,
= Aragorn =
Jimmy Johnson
2020-08-22 17:07:21 UTC
Post by Aragorn
KDE 4 was a bit on the heavy side, but Plasma 5 most definitely isn't.
Its memory footprint is on par with that of XFCE. Definitely not
bloated, but you get (a lot) more bang for the buck.
You're running slackware current kde4 and slackware current kde5? I do,
and on many different machines, old and new. You want test? I can give
you test. Besides, memory is there to be used and I do trust patrick to
be using my memory properly.

KDE5 is not complete yet. According to kde their last stable desktop was
plasma 5.8.x. I use kdf and it's broken in 5.8.x with bugs filed more
than 4 years ago and broken even more in 5.14.5 and even more in 5.19.4.
Or maybe you're talking about some other system? I test other systems
without systemd too.

KDE5 may suit your purpose but for me it's not there yet. :)

Slackware64 KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263
Aragorn
2020-08-22 18:15:44 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by Aragorn
KDE 4 was a bit on the heavy side, but Plasma 5 most definitely
isn't. Its memory footprint is on par with that of XFCE.
Definitely not bloated, but you get (a lot) more bang for the buck.
You're running slackware current kde4 and slackware current kde5?
No, I'm not running Slackware at all, period. :) I'm running Manjaro
here. :p
Post by Jimmy Johnson
I do, and on many different machines, old and new. You want test? I can
give you test. Besides, memory is there to be used and I do trust
patrick to be using my memory properly.
I agree that memory is there to be used. But some people still have a
fairly small amount of RAM in their machines — especially people with
older hardware — and to them, the memory footprint matters.

Over at the Manjaro forum — and in several generic GNU/Linux groups
here on Usenet — we're still seeing people running a 64-bit system in
only 1, 2 or 4 GiB of RAM, and on single- or dual-core machines.

If it ain't broke... ;)
Post by Jimmy Johnson
KDE5 is not complete yet.
Nothing man-made is ever going to be complete. ;)
Post by Jimmy Johnson
According to kde their last stable desktop was plasma 5.8.x.
Um, excuse me, but when was the last time you looked at the KDE website
or read any of the announcements at another tech website — e.g. on
Slashdot?

The current KDE Plasma stable release stands at 5.19.4 — running very
smoothly here on Manjaro Stable, thank you very much for asking :p —
and the current long-term-support release stands at 5.18 LTS.

Plasma 5.8 LTS was AGES ago — released in 2016, literally four years
ago, and as an LTS release, it was followed by 5.12 LTS in 2018. And
so now there's 5.18 LTS.
Post by Jimmy Johnson
I use kdf and it's broken in 5.8.x with bugs filed more than 4 years
ago and broken even more in 5.14.5 and even more in 5.19.4.
So you dismiss/reject an entire desktop environment because ONE of its
applications is broken?
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Or maybe you're talking about some other system? I test other systems without
systemd too.
Manjaro does use systemd now. It started off with Gentoo's openrc, but
eventually the choice was made to adopt systemd — I'm not sure on the
factual reason, but it may possibly have been because off GNOME 3
having made systemd into a hard dependency — and a while later the
support for openrc was dropped. There are however Manjaro forks that
use either openrc or upstart.

I have long been a critic of systemd — and I have blocked several
systemd components, such as systemd-homed — but all things considered,
if you look at systemd for what it is, as opposed to being merely an
init replacement — then you'll quickly see that it isn't all that bad.

Just like the traditional init systems, it's all very modular and
interchangeable. It just so happens to be that its developers chose to
throw the whole series of modules into a package with a single name,
causing people to think that it's a monolith.

systemd is actually progress. It may not be traditional, but that
doesn't mean that it would be bad. After all, any modern GNU/Linux
system is already a sufficiently big evolution away from the old
proprietary UNIX versions. And for the better, too.
Post by Jimmy Johnson
KDE5 may suit your purpose but for me it's not there yet. :)
It does indeed suit my purpose, and I happen to be a major KDE fan. ;)
--
With respect,
= Aragorn =
Poprocks
2020-08-22 18:58:05 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by bad sector
I do hope that 15.0 does come around though, don't much care for a
release every six months but every 2-3 years would sound about right, or
a rolling release which I'm starting to really relate to!
You should be happy with Slackware64 Current KDE4, latest qt5 under a
perfect working kde4 desktop. I have a feeling that is what the the
next release will be.
No, it will not be.

From the ChangeLog entry dated Feb 12, 2020:

The binutils and glibc packages in /testing were removed and are
off the table for now. I'm not seeing much upside to heading
down that rabbit hole at the moment. Next we need to be looking
at Xfce 4.14 and Plasma 5.18 LTS and some other things that have
been held back since KDE4 couldn't use them.
Jimmy Johnson
2020-08-23 01:42:49 UTC
Post by Poprocks
The binutils and glibc packages in /testing were removed and are
off the table for now. I'm not seeing much upside to heading
down that rabbit hole at the moment. Next we need to be looking
at Xfce 4.14 and Plasma 5.18 LTS and some other things that have
been held back since KDE4 couldn't use them.
Since feb.2020 patrick has been down the rabbit hole, caught the rabbit
and is transplanting it's guts into kde4. :)

Also fixing a few things for eric and plasma5.

And who ever came up with the 'custom' settings in 'digital clock' was a
good guy, it got rid of any excuse for using the google widget 'event
calendar'.

I have no doubts that kde5 will be another great system, but today it's
a desktop being built in a vbox console on a ms windows machine and not
by kde users. And when you remove systemd it's even more broken, it's
being built for systemd and by a systemd machine. Sure they say it's
sysv compatible, but in kde user land anyone installing the latest
kde-desktop on a system running sysvinit as pid-1 is going to have a
broken system. Unless of course you or someone else configures it for
sysv. My system developer is a Jedi Knight.

I takes good guys not on payroll using kde to take the timeout and fix
those things. 287 bugs found the last 7 days kde bug tracking.

Wake me when 'kdf' gets fixed please.

Not kidding, I need a good disk manager, I run 5, 10, 15 or more
partitions the same size depending on the machine and I'm sure I'm not
the only one wanting kdf fixed. Also I hear kde is working on another
disk manager, where is it?

Dolphin shows me the partitions by size, not much help there.

Slackware64 Current KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7