#slackware irc dead?
Add Reply
bad sector
2020-11-14 04:29:35 UTC
i'm on my first slackware-14.2 usenet session
(couldn't get chat going)

how to install
qjackctl
qsynth
rosegarden
jack_capture

..for starters

TKS
Rich
2020-11-14 04:53:02 UTC
Post by bad sector
i'm on my first slackware-14.2 usenet session
(couldn't get chat going)
how to install
qjackctl
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/audio/qjackctl/?search=qjackctl
Post by bad sector
qsynth
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/audio/qsynth/?search=qsynth
Post by bad sector
rosegarden
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/audio/rosegarden/
Post by bad sector
jack_capture
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/audio/jack_capture/?search=jack_capture
..for starters
bad sector
2020-11-14 14:12:55 UTC
Post by bad sector
jack_capture
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/audio/jack_capture/?search=jack_capture
Post by bad sector
..for starters
got it, thanks

I notice that for each I have to get all the depends aboard first.
Not a problem, compiling from source ain't either, but it's a list
of things to discover, learn, and get used to.
Using Suse-Leap &TW, trying to tame Devuan, Artix & Slack.
bad sector
2020-11-14 16:10:09 UTC
Post by bad sector
i'm on my first slackware-14.2 usenet session
(couldn't get chat going)
how to install
qjackctl
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/audio/qjackctl/?search=qjackctl
I started with this one only because it's 1st
in the order in which I usually launch them.
The depends chain went back to python3 which
I DL'd, unpacked, and then began to install. The
'make test' seems to be stuck on

running: test_socket (19 min 11 sec)
running: test_socket (19 min 41 sec)
running: test_socket (20 min 11 sec)
running: test_socket (20 min 41 sec)
running: test_socket (21 min 11 sec)

is there any point in going to 'make install' with this?
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-11-15 10:56:58 UTC
Post by bad sector
Post by bad sector
Post by Rich
Post by bad sector
..for starters
got it, thanks
I notice that for each I have to get all the depends aboard first.
Not a problem, compiling from source ain't either, but it's a list of
things to discover, learn, and get used to.
I think that the easiest way to install things from slackbuilds.org is to
use slpkg:

https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/slpkg/?search=slpkg

Once that is installed you can simply do:

slpkg -s sbo qjackctl

to get qjackctl downloaded, compiled and installed with all its
dependencies.

regards Henrik
bad sector
2020-11-15 14:58:13 UTC
Post by bad sector
Post by bad sector
Post by Rich
Post by bad sector
..for starters
got it, thanks
I notice that for each I have to get all the depends aboard first.
Not a problem, compiling from source ain't either, but it's a list of
things to discover, learn, and get used to.
I think that the easiest way to install things from slackbuilds.org is to
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/slpkg/?search=slpkg
slpkg -s sbo qjackctl
to get qjackctl downloaded, compiled and installed with all its
dependencies.
regards Henrik
thank you very much

I took 3 runs at it and half the night but got
the 1st one on the list installed by religiously
following the SlackBuild routines for something
like half a dozen depends soooo, I'd be a good
candidate for slpkg as well, just wanna clean
this issue up before trying for more :)

This was all on my desktop, I'll be on the
laptop all day

qjackctl spits this at me

-------------------------------
09:53:01.566 Statistics reset.
09:53:01.581 Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. ALSA MIDI
patchbay will be not available.
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:466:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed:
Permission denied
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1,
skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1,
skipping unlock
QXcbClipboard: SelectionRequest too old
--------------------------------
bad sector
2020-11-16 03:04:09 UTC
Post by bad sector
qjackctl spits this at me
-------------------------------
09:53:01.566 Statistics reset.
09:53:01.581 Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client. ALSA MIDI
patchbay will be not available.
Permission denied
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1,
skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1,
skipping unlock
QXcbClipboard: SelectionRequest too old
--------------------------------
User wasn't in group 'audio', qjackctl setup
did not have 'start jack' checked, plus a couple
of chickenshit issues. I got fed up and simply
copied in the config from my Leap system. Now
qjackctl starts but it's limping, paralised really.
I'll come back tomorrow with more in a new thread.

raf
try this site https://www.slackbuilds.org/
John McCue
2020-11-14 23:28:36 UTC
[snip]
There is also channel #slackbuilds on freenode
wgreenhouse
2020-11-14 06:48:27 UTC
Post by bad sector
i'm on my first slackware-14.2 usenet session
(couldn't get chat going)
On Freenode it's ##slackware (#slackware is a closed developer-cabal
channel). On OFTC it's #slackware. Both are reasonably lively.
andrew
2020-11-14 09:10:54 UTC
Post by bad sector
i'm on my first slackware-14.2 usenet session
(couldn't get chat going)
Welcome to Usenet! Mind you the party that was Usenet has ended some
years ago :(.

As for IRC: the channel is ##slackware (note the 2 #s) and if you are
new to IRC perhaps hexchat might be your best option. Hexchat comes as
part of a full Slackware install...

Andrew
You think that's air you're breathing now?
bad sector
2020-11-14 13:25:05 UTC
Post by andrew
Post by bad sector
i'm on my first slackware-14.2 usenet session
(couldn't get chat going)
Welcome to Usenet! Mind you the party that was Usenet has ended some
years ago :(.
As for IRC: the channel is ##slackware (note the 2 #s) and if you are
new to IRC perhaps hexchat might be your best option. Hexchat comes as
part of a full Slackware install...
Andrew
--
You think that's air you're breathing now?
to which the californian reply used to be:
"if i can't see it i don't breathe it" :)

Thanks, I'm not new to usenet but it was my first
attempt from a T-bird install on Slackware. No
contest about the party. And it was hexchat I
tried but with only a single #

So far I have never installed anything on Slack
that wasn't from the install DVD. I've poked at
it from time to time but now I mean it (famous
last words). I'd like to do get the tweaks outta
the way before 15.0 and THAT promises to be
a LOT or work, time for which don't come easy.