emacs minibuffer filename completion
Robert Riches
2018-04-08 04:27:10 UTC
The version of emacs (25.3, IIRC) in Slackware 14.2 has
apparently again broken using SPC to auto-complete filenames in
the minibuffer. For version 22, I added some code pulled from
the web into my .emacs to fix (or work around) the change at that
time. Now, in Slackware 14.2, that code no longer works. Web
searching has not yet turned up a solution.

Does anyone happen to have a pointer to a solution that works to
enable minibuffer filename completion for the emacs version in
Slackware 14.2?

Thanks.
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
Arkadiusz Drabczyk
2018-04-12 20:59:49 UTC
Post by Robert Riches
The version of emacs (25.3, IIRC) in Slackware 14.2 has
apparently again broken using SPC to auto-complete filenames in
the minibuffer. For version 22, I added some code pulled from
the web into my .emacs to fix (or work around) the change at that
time. Now, in Slackware 14.2, that code no longer works. Web
searching has not yet turned up a solution.
Does anyone happen to have a pointer to a solution that works to
enable minibuffer filename completion for the emacs version in
Slackware 14.2?
Wow, I didn't know it used to be common to use SPC for completion,
I've always used tab. Anyway, this code from here
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/SPC-no-longer-completes-file-names.html
works for me in 25.3.1 on Slackware 14.2:e

(define-key minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map (kbd "SPC")
'minibuffer-complete-word)

(define-key minibuffer-local-must-match-filename-map (kbd "SPC")
'minibuffer-complete-word)
Arkadiusz Drabczyk
Robert Riches
2018-04-13 00:43:04 UTC
Post by Arkadiusz Drabczyk
Post by Robert Riches
[...]
Excellent! Thank you so very much! I'll give it a try the next
time I boot up the test VM. I'll also bookmark that manual.

One advantage of SPC is it puts less strain on the tendons than
TAB. SPC for completion has worked for commands, functions,
variables, and files since I started using GNU Emacs about 30
years ago. A habit that old would be terribly tough to break.
If a solution had not been found, I was preparing to download the
source for an older version and maintain that myself.

Thanks!
--
Robert Riches
***@jacob21819.net
[...]