Adding options to sbopkg queue files
S.K.R. de Jong
2018-03-04 22:21:28 UTC
I seem to recall that it is (used to be?) possible to specify
environment variables in queue files for sbopkg, in order to influence
how the build is going to proceed. The canonical example would be ffmpeg,
which admits a large number of such variables.

As it happens, I can't get this to work. Whenever I try to add
one such variable, sbopkg interprets it as a package to be built - and,
of course, things go nowhere.

Anybody know whether this can be done, and if so, how? I have
done some ggogling, and have yet to find anything applicable.

I am aware that I can do what I need by downloading the relevant
build file from slackbuilds.org, and then modifying it accordingly, thus
bypassing sbopkg.
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-03-05 16:32:02 UTC
As it happens, I can't get this to work. Whenever I try to add one
such variable, sbopkg interprets it as a package to be built - and,
of course, things go nowhere.
A specific example of how you've tried this would help. I don't use
sbopkg, so I haven't tested what I'm about to suggest, but typically I
might do something like this:

env VARIABLE=value /path/to/command argument1 argument2 ...

I hope that helps ...
Sylvain Robitaille ***@encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clark Smith
2018-03-05 20:32:06 UTC
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
As it happens, I can't get this to work. Whenever I try to add one such
variable, sbopkg interprets it as a package to be built - and,
of course, things go nowhere.
A specific example of how you've tried this would help. I don't use
sbopkg, so I haven't tested what I'm about to suggest, but typically I
env VARIABLE=value /path/to/command argument1 argument2 ...
I hope that helps ...
I have tried a number of variations of what you are describing,
to no avail.
King Beowulf
2018-03-05 17:35:01 UTC
Post by S.K.R. de Jong
I seem to recall that it is (used to be?) possible to specify
environment variables in queue files for sbopkg, in order to influence
how the build is going to proceed. The canonical example would be ffmpeg,
which admits a large number of such variables.
---snip---

Did you look at

sbopkg -h

under "Note:..."?

and sbopkg documentation, i.e., RTFM?
S.K.R. de Jong
2018-03-05 20:43:01 UTC
Post by King Beowulf
Post by S.K.R. de Jong
I seem to recall that it is (used to be?) possible to specify
environment variables in queue files for sbopkg, in order to influence
how the build is going to proceed. The canonical example would be ffmpeg,
which admits a large number of such variables.
---snip---
Did you look at
sbopkg -h
under "Note:..."?
and sbopkg documentation, i.e., RTFM?
That applies to the sbopkg command, not to the contents of queue
files. Anyway, I have just found an example concerning what I am looking
for in

https://github.com/Ponce/slackbuilds/wiki/sbopkg-queue-used

I have not been able to find this documented anywhere.
dillinger
2018-03-07 22:11:37 UTC
Post by S.K.R. de Jong
I seem to recall that it is (used to be?) possible to specify
environment variables in queue files for sbopkg, in order to influence
how the build is going to proceed. The canonical example would be ffmpeg,
which admits a large number of such variables.
As it happens, I can't get this to work. Whenever I try to add
one such variable, sbopkg interprets it as a package to be built - and,
of course, things go nowhere.
Anybody know whether this can be done, and if so, how? I have
done some ggogling, and have yet to find anything applicable.
I am aware that I can do what I need by downloading the relevant
build file from slackbuilds.org, and then modifying it accordingly, thus
bypassing sbopkg.
Apparently you can only edit the options for a package before you add it
to the queue, not after you added it.
So, search some package, OK, edit options, add to queue.
FWIW, I haven't tried this myself.
Jens Stuckelberger
2018-03-07 23:16:27 UTC
Post by dillinger
Post by S.K.R. de Jong
[...]
But you can add options to a queue file itself, which is what I
was asking about. Check out the link I provided in one of my responses
for an example.
dillinger
2018-03-09 07:33:18 UTC
Post by Jens Stuckelberger
Post by dillinger
Post by S.K.R. de Jong
[...]
I've seen that.
The queue file only contains the package names, no options.
The options you add to any package are stored in your local mirror.
If you add options to say, ffmpeg, a text file named options.sbopkg
is added to /var/lib/sbopkg/SBo/14.2/multimedia/ffmpeg/
If you then open a queue file containing ffmpeg with sbopkg, it will ask
you if you want to apply the options.

You can add options to packages on the command line, man sbopkg doesn't
give examples of adding options to a queue (or some package in a queue)
Jens Stuckelberger
2018-03-09 15:44:21 UTC
Post by dillinger
Post by Jens Stuckelberger
Post by dillinger
Post by S.K.R. de Jong
[...]
I am not sure I follow. In https://github.com/Ponce/slackbuilds/
wiki/sbopkg-queue-used one can see many entries with options. E.g. the
default mkvtoolnix.sqf file reads

cmark
mkvtoolnix

On doing

sbopkg -ki mkvtoolnix.sqf

the mkvtoolnix package will be built, but not its associated GUI.
However, if one starts with a mkvtoolnix.sqf file with the following
contents

cmark
mkvtoolnix|QTGUI=y

then the associated GUI will also be built and made part of the final
package. This is what I was looking for, and which I haven't found
documented anywhere.