OT: pine and yahoo
s***@gmail.com
2018-04-03 10:25:45 UTC
Have used (al)pine to retrieve and send email from/to yahoo. The SMTP server I've been using in my .pinerc file is:

smtp-server=smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465/ssl/user=***@yahoo.com/novalidate-cert

Now, all of a sudden, when I try to send email it is rejecting my password. It asks me three times and then reports an error. Same password works just fine for retrieving my email so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Any hints as to the problem? Where is a forum that is more appropriate for this problem? The yahoo folks only seem interested in their web interface.

Steve

Mike Easter
2018-04-03 20:39:13 UTC
Have used (al)pine to retrieve and send email from/to yahoo. The
Now, all of a sudden, when I try to send email it is rejecting my
password. It asks me three times and then reports an error. Same
password works just fine for retrieving my email so that doesn't seem to
be the issue.
Any hints as to the problem? Where is a forum that is more
appropriate for this problem? The yahoo folks only seem interested in
their web interface.
I don't know about slackware's tools, but you can ssl-telnet or openssl
to engage the smtp server manually and perform the authentication to
test how the server works.

I think alpine started in debug mode keeps logs of its session, unless
it was compiled with the debug function disabled. Enabled is the
default compile. There are levels of debug.

Some servers such as gmail's get themselves into a security mode and
won't accept authentication and you need to use the web interface to get
them back to normal.

I would first engage the yahoo web interface, then if that didn't work,
use the openssl before I got to the log business.
Mike Easter
Edwin Johnson
2018-04-04 13:58:08 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Have used (al)pine to retrieve and send email from/to yahoo. The
novalidate-cert

I use alpine for all my email, yahoo included. On all of them I use an
Alternate pattern for the smtp. You can get there from S (setup), then
R (rules), then R (roles). The Role is Alternate Role.

You probably can simply edit the .pinerc file and change the line
starting with pattern-roles. It is generally commented out with a #.
Here is mine and obviously it is one line, but broken down so you can
read it here: (space after EMAIL" and after my name)

patterns-roles=LIT:pattern="/NICK=Alternate Role/FLDTYPE=EMAIL"
action="/ROLE=1/FROM=Edwin Johnson
<***@yahoo.com>/SMTP=smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465\/ssl
\/user=***@yahoo.com\/novalidate-cert/RTYPE=YES/FTYPE=YES/CTYPE=NC"

On first send an email, it will ask for your password and then ask if
you wish to save it for later use (or something like that). These
passwords are stored, encrypted in the file: .pine-passfile. Older
versions used to store them in .pine.pwd

Some older versions of pine/alpine weren't built to allow this password
storing and I had to re-build some older versions, but think the newer
ones are all built allowing password storage.

Incidentally, I have all .pinerc files and the .pine-passfile
permissions set to 600.

Can't remember whether it will create the .pine-passfile or not. If
not there you could always use 'touch .pine-passfile' and then set
permissions to 600.

Hope this helps.

...Edwin
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return."-da Vinci http://kd5zlb.org