Note to Tuxedo
2018-09-15 17:56:40 UTC
I downloaded and burned this 15.0 install disk
http://bear.alienbase.nl/mirrors/slackware/slackware64-current-iso/slackware64-current-install-dvd.iso

Booting from the DVD I get the standard install sequence
with the message at the boot prompt:
In A Pinch you can do something like this:

huge.s root=/dev/sda1 rdinit=ro

Which works to access a partition that has the 4.14.69 (I think)
kernel along with the modules.

After booting into one of my 14.2 partitions I was unable
to proceed since I don't have the kernel modules.

I then repeated the process using the 14.2 install
disk and booting into the regular install option.

Instead of going into setup I created a mount point
/sda1
and mounted the partition /dev/sda1 to that
mountpoint.

Then I chrooted to /sda1 and I could run programs
from that partition but I was not able to run
lilo.

Since I didn't really want to write a new boot sector
I didn't pursue that matter.
Tuxedo
2018-09-15 22:04:58 UTC
[...]
Thanks for sharing the above. I created a startup media when I did the last
installation but it doesn't work because of my LVM+LUKS setup.

Lilo is however working fine but who knows when it will fail to wake up the
system for some reason. I will try to access the system in the way you did
and post my result.

So far my problem was getting chroot to work for some reason.

Tuxedo