KDE5 has been moved to slackware testing.
2020-11-08 12:15:12 UTC
Ktown becomes Vtown
https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/ktown-becomes-vtown/

I've completed the switch on three machines, I do hope someone will fix
KDF. Outside of that, it's sweet.

Slackware64 Current KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263
Ralph Spitzner
2020-11-08 12:22:41 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Ktown becomes Vtown
 https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/ktown-becomes-vtown/
I've completed the switch on three machines, I do hope someone will fix KDF. Outside of that, it's sweet.
How did you do that?
can slackpkg handle this, or has it to be done manually ?

regards
-rasp
Jimmy Johnson
2020-11-08 13:33:34 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Ktown becomes Vtown
  https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/ktown-becomes-vtown/
I've completed the switch on three machines, I do hope someone will
fix KDF. Outside of that, it's sweet.
How did you do that?
can slackpkg handle this, or has it to be done manually ?
Eric gives instructions in the above link and you'll also find a link to
the tread on linux questions where all the confused hangout. He explains
it better than I can. But if you need help, just yelp. :)

Ralph Spitzner
2020-11-09 11:08:23 UTC
Eric gives instructions in the above link and you'll also find a link to the tread on linux questions where all the confused hangout. He explains it better than I can. But if you need help, just yelp. :)
oh, ok sorry should have read that first :-)

-rasp
Jimmy Johnson
2020-11-09 16:44:59 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Eric gives instructions in the above link and you'll also find a link
to the tread on linux questions where all the confused hangout. He
explains it better than I can. But if you need help, just yelp. :)
oh, ok sorry should have read that first :-)
I did make some notes, maybe they'll help someone:

I've followed Eric's instructions and it works and I don't take short
cuts, just pay attention to the steps, but don't remove consolekit2 if
using sddm or you will have to do startx as user, if anything is missing
search for the package, you'll probably find it in ktown packages. Like
'kpat' is missing and I installed by doing slackpkg search kpat and then
I installed it. When I clicked to start kpat it did not start, ran kpat
as user in the konsole and a package was missing 'freecell-solver' and I
installed it you will need to blacklist kpat if you install it. "KDF" is
installed but still BROKEN, but you can mount and unmount what you have
setup in fstab but, kwikdisk and kdiskfree do not synchronize, an
example: I use kwikdisk to mount sda12, when I'm done I go to kwikdisk
and it don't show me mount status, so I open kdiskfree and it shows me
mount status and I click unmount, no problem and it unmounts, but when I
/dev/sda12 | umount: /dev/sda12: not mounted.' At that point kwikdisk
will not mount sda12, but kdiskfree is still working, so I go to
kdiskfree and mount sda12, now I can go to kwikdisk and mount/unmount,
but once kdiskfree shows a drive mounted it will not change status when
using kwikdisk. Also 'open in filemanager' no longer works. After it's
installed you can do you normal install-new, install vtown, upgrade-all
and clean-system.

That's where I'm at now, still testing.

ktown was plasma 5.19.4 fully updated and vtown is "Plasma Version:
5.20.2" and it comes with new kde wallpaper that's installed on the
desktop, screenlock and sddm too, that's sweet.

KDF was not but now is getting installed with the vtown install, but
still broken and I hope patrick will fix it and I don't think we'll see
a slackware 15 until it's fixed..also kpat needs to be installed, are
you listening.. And who knows there maybe a kde5 and a kde4 as well as
xfce, that would be my choice.

I'm still testing, always testing, when I blowout I'll go to slackware
stable kde4. Now that current has gone to testing kde5 and testing
current kde4 and the only thing I find is that kdm only spans image
across multi monitors, it will not show image on each screen like you
see in stable kde4. But it's not a big deal, once logged in it's gone
and you can kick back and know your using the latest and greatest. In
testing kde5 all seems swell, using "custom" settings in digital clock
was a excellent add by kde. I do believe that slackware is the last
holdout using kde4 on a updated system, debian is still holding out with
jessie, security updates only and will switch your sysvinit to systemd,
so not a good choice and devuan is still doing security updates for
jessie, a good choice, but for how long and anything jessie is pretty
old, but is stable, like slackware stable for working with hard drive
and partitions. It's looking like kde4 will soon be going the way of
kde3, abandon-ware, with restrictions.

About the system I'm using now, it's using sysvinit and there is
absolutely no systemd installed. It's mx-19 based on debian buster with
antix repos added to allow systemd to be removed and the antix kernel is
added and it's real sweet and easy to do with 'aptitude remove systemd'.

MX/AntiX - Linux 5.8.16 - KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263
Ralph Spitzner
2020-11-09 17:07:24 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Eric gives instructions in the above link and you'll also find a link
to the tread on linux questions where all the confused hangout. He
explains it better than I can. But if you need help, just yelp. :)
oh, ok sorry should have read that first :-)
I've followed Eric's instructions and it works and I don't take short cuts, just pay attention to the steps, but don't remove consolekit2 if using
[....]
ah that was it, I just temporarily switched to xdm, which looks awkward :-)

-rasp
Jimmy Johnson
2020-11-09 19:23:38 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by Jimmy Johnson
I've followed Eric's instructions and it works and I don't take short
cuts, just pay attention to the steps, but don't remove consolekit2
ah that was it, I just temporarily switched to xdm, which looks awkward :-)
Glad I could help. :)

Slackware64 Current KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7