dual boot question
Add Reply
john connolly
2020-01-25 01:43:50 UTC
Hi, I have a vintage home made rig running slackware 14.2 on /dev/sda1.
There is also a second disk with one of the current versions installed
that I want to experiment with. Dual booting with the appropriate
lilo.conf installed on /dev/sda1 should not be a problem and I should
have the choice of which version to load during the boot process. My
plan is to install lilo on the distribution on the second disk as well
during the installation but I'm wondering if that will cause any
mischief during the boot process. Any suggestion or advice would be
appreciated.
Thanks for your help, jwc
Ned Latham
2020-01-25 02:01:55 UTC
Post by john connolly
Hi, I have a vintage home made rig running slackware 14.2 on /dev/sda1.
There is also a second disk with one of the current versions installed
that I want to experiment with. Dual booting with the appropriate
lilo.conf installed on /dev/sda1 should not be a problem and I should
have the choice of which version to load during the boot process. My
plan is to install lilo on the distribution on the second disk as well
during the installation but I'm wondering if that will cause any
mischief during the boot process. Any suggestion or advice would be
appreciated.
Thanks for your help, jwc
G'day, John.

It's been long since I had two linux installation on the one machine,
so I'm not 100% sure, but here's /etc/lilo.conf from one of my laptops:

--------
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/sda
bitmap = /boot/slack.bmp
bmp-colors = 255,0,255,0,255,0
bmp-table = 60,6,1,16
bmp-timer = 65,27,0,255
message = /boot/boot_message.txt
append=" vt.default_utf8=0"
prompt
timeout = 300
vga = normal
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/sda2
label = linux
read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# Memtest bootable image config begins
image = /boot/memtest86+.bin
label = memtest86+
# Memtest bootable image config ends
# Windows bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/sda1
label = windoze
table = /dev/sda
# Windows bootable partition config ends
--------

My uncertainty wrt your enquiry concerns the first line of the
partition config: I think the second linux partition's config
should read "image =", but I don't recall for sure. It might
be "other =", though I doubt it.

But it won't harm anything if you try the wrong one first.
Rinaldi J. Montessi
2020-01-25 02:22:23 UTC
Post by john connolly
[...]
I'm doing something similar. Here's my lilo.conf

# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
lba32
# Append any additional kernel parameters:

append=""

boot = /dev/sda ##This is the MBR lilo will write too

#compact # faster, but won't work on all systems.

# Boot BMP Image.
# Bitmap in BMP format: 640x480x8
bitmap = /boot/slack.bmp
# Menu colors (foreground, background, shadow, highlighted
# foreground, highlighted background, highlighted shadow):
bmp-colors = 255,0,255,0,255,0
# Location of the option table: location x, location y, number of
# columns, lines per column (max 15), "spill" (this is how many
# entries must be in the first column before the next begins to
# be used. We don't specify it here, as there's just one column.
bmp-table = 60,6,1,16
# Timer location x, timer location y, foreground color,
# background color, shadow color.
bmp-timer = 65,27,0,255

# Standard menu.
# Or, you can comment out the bitmap menu above and
# use a boot message with the standard menu:
#message = /boot/boot_message.txt

# Wait until the timeout to boot (if commented out, boot the
# first entry immediately):
prompt
# Timeout before the first entry boots.
# This is given in tenths of a second, so 600 for every minute:
timeout = 50
# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
change-rules
reset
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
# Normal VGA console
vga = 0x318
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins

image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/sda1
label = Slack_Current
initrd = /boot/intel-ucode.cpio  ##latest intel microcode loaded via initrd
read-only

image = /old_root/boot/vmlinuz  ##/old_root/ is /dev/sdb1 mountpoint
root = /dev/sdb1
label = Slack_14.2
initrd = /old_root/boot/intel-ucode.cpio

--
Critic, n.:
A person who boasts himself hard to please because nobody tries
to please him.  -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
John Forkosh
2020-01-25 03:24:21 UTC
Post by john connolly
Hi, I have a vintage home made rig running slackware 14.2 on /dev/sda1.
There is also a second disk with one of the current versions installed
that I want to experiment with. Dual booting with the appropriate
lilo.conf installed on /dev/sda1 should not be a problem and I should
have the choice of which version to load during the boot process. My
plan is to install lilo on the distribution on the second disk as well
during the installation but I'm wondering if that will cause any
mischief during the boot process. Any suggestion or advice would be
appreciated.
Thanks for your help, jwc
I do that all the time, and there's no problem if you do it right,
which is pretty easy...
1. I'd assume that you have lilo for 14.2 on the mbr of sda, i.e.,
you already have boot = /dev/sda in /etc/lilo.conf for 14.2.
2. Then when you install -- let's call it 15.0 -- on /dev/sdb1
(or /dev/sdb? but I'll just say "1"), make sure to have
slackware setup put lilo on the "boot block of the root partition",
rather than the mbr of either disk.
3. Then when you first reboot, you'll still only have the 14.2 choice,
but you can now edit 14.2's /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo
to get a boot menu with both, as follows.
4. Firstly, make sure to mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt (or any mount point
you like, but I'll just say /mnt).
5. Then edit lilo, basically just adding the bottom six lines as shown,
without needing to change anything else
# Start LILO global section -- >> in particular, don't change boot <<
boot = /dev/sda
# >> whatever else you have, can also be left unchanged <<
append=" vt.default_utf8=0 ipv6.disable=1"
prompt
timeout = 300
vga = normal
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins >> for 14.2, unchanged <<
image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/sda1
label = slack142unchanged
read-only # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# Linux bootable partition config begins >> edit this in for "15.0" <<
image = /mnt/boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/sdb1
label = slk150new
read-only # Partitions should be mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends
6. Note how image = /mnt/boot/vmlinuz for 15.0 is not your 14.2 vmlinuz,
but rather the 15.0 vmlinuz, which is why you must mount that /dev/sdb1
partition. And note how root = /dev/sdb1 points to that same partition.
7. Now just rerun lilo (as root, obviously), and everything should
"just work". Next time you reboot, your boot menu should give you
the choice between 14.2 and 15.0.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: ***@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )