zlib_1.2.9. not found
Add Reply
Erich Hoffmann
2018-09-08 14:30:02 UTC
Hello.

I'm helpless here. Yesterday I upgraded mozilla-firefox,
following slackware-security mail.

Since then, I get the message

XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib64/seamonkey-2.49.4/libxul.so:
/usr/lib64/../lib64/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required
by /usr/lib64/seamonkey-2.49.4/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.
~:

The zlib hompepage at www.zlib.net warns:

Due to the bug fixes, any installations of 1.2.9 or 1.2.10 should be
immediately replaced with 1.2.11.

So I should not install zlib 1.2.9 by hand.

So what can I do besides using dillo?

TIA erich.
Giovanni
2018-09-08 15:08:54 UTC
Post by Erich Hoffmann
Hello.
I'm helpless here. Yesterday I upgraded mozilla-firefox,
following slackware-security mail.
Since then, I get the message
/usr/lib64/../lib64/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required
by /usr/lib64/seamonkey-2.49.4/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.
Due to the bug fixes, any installations of 1.2.9 or 1.2.10 should be
immediately replaced with 1.2.11.
So I should not install zlib 1.2.9 by hand.
So what can I do besides using dillo?
TIA erich.
Upgrade with the patches from patches/packages/ directory of your
distribution.

Ciao
Giovanni
--
A computer is like an air conditioner,
it stops working when you open Windows.
< http://giovanni.homelinux.net/ >
Erich Hoffmann
2018-09-08 16:00:58 UTC
Post by Giovanni
Post by Erich Hoffmann
Hello.
I'm helpless here. Yesterday I upgraded mozilla-firefox,
following slackware-security mail.
[...]
Post by Giovanni
Upgrade with the patches from patches/packages/ directory of your
distribution.
Ciao Giovanni
Giovanni thanks for looking into this.

But upgrading with the patches from patches/packages is just
what created the problem. The slackware-security mailing list
induced me to do so. Thus my system is on the newest level.

Ciào, Erich
Ars Ivci
2018-09-08 15:19:44 UTC
Post by Erich Hoffmann
Hello.
I'm helpless here. Yesterday I upgraded mozilla-firefox,
following slackware-security mail.
Since then, I get the message
/usr/lib64/../lib64/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required
by /usr/lib64/seamonkey-2.49.4/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.
Due to the bug fixes, any installations of 1.2.9 or 1.2.10 should be
immediately replaced with 1.2.11.
So I should not install zlib 1.2.9 by hand.
So what can I do besides using dillo?
TIA erich.
Upgrading mozilla-nss might help.
t.
Erich Hoffmann
2018-09-08 16:02:43 UTC
Post by Ars Ivci
Upgrading mozilla-nss might help.
t.
Thanks Ars!

My mozilla-nss is on the newest stand. Nevertheless,
I reinstalled mozilla-nss and the seamonkey packages,
because seamonkey too complains about zlib.

No result...

Cheers Erich
jrg
2018-09-08 17:37:52 UTC
Post by Erich Hoffmann
the seamonkey packages
You started by saying you were updating firefox - seamonkey is not
firefox, as I'm sure you are aware. Why not use newer versions of
either? seamonkey 49 is a tad long in the tooth - are you using
firefox? which libxul.so does it use?
jrg
2018-09-08 18:22:05 UTC
Post by jrg
Post by Erich Hoffmann
the seamonkey packages
You started by saying you were updating firefox - seamonkey is not
firefox, as I'm sure you are aware. Why not use newer versions of
either? seamonkey 49 is a tad long in the tooth - are you using
firefox? which libxul.so does it use?
oops on seamonkey vers 2.49 - it appears to be the newer one. The
mozilla ftp sorting confused me...
Eef Hartman
2018-09-08 18:45:35 UTC
Post by jrg
oops on seamonkey vers 2.49 - it appears to be the newer one. The
mozilla ftp sorting confused me...
Actually 2.49.4 is the newest seamonkey version there is:
seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2 48M 27-Jul-2018 06:24
(from archive.mozilla.org).
jrg
Thats what the OOPS was for...
Erich Hoffmann
2018-09-09 06:34:41 UTC
Post by jrg
Post by jrg
oops on seamonkey vers 2.49 - it appears to be the newer one. The
mozilla ftp sorting confused me...
seamonkey-2.49.4.tar.bz2 48M 27-Jul-2018 06:24 (from
archive.mozilla.org).
Thats what the OOPS was for...
Thanks to all for looking into this.

My seamonkey is the new one - yes I realize that
firefox and seamonkey are different, it is that I
tried seamonkey after firefox didn't work.

Then I looked at the bright side -
this is a good opportunity for me to try and study
many of the browsers out there from chromium to vimb
(slackbuilds) learning new things isn't that bad
after all, is it.

Greetings Erich
Ars Ivci
2018-09-08 18:50:59 UTC
Post by Erich Hoffmann
Post by Ars Ivci
Upgrading mozilla-nss might help.
t.
Thanks Ars!
My mozilla-nss is on the newest stand. Nevertheless,
I reinstalled mozilla-nss and the seamonkey packages,
because seamonkey too complains about zlib.
No result...
Cheers Erich
Is it possible that you upgraded FF from current instead of 14.2? If
yes, you have to reinstall FF from the correct tree. See this post:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-14-2-firefox-50-0-2-to-52-2-0esr-libxul-so-error-4175611700/

t.
Dan C
2018-09-09 00:11:55 UTC
Post by Ars Ivci
Post by Erich Hoffmann
Post by Ars Ivci
Upgrading mozilla-nss might help.
t.
Thanks Ars!
My mozilla-nss is on the newest stand. Nevertheless,
I reinstalled mozilla-nss and the seamonkey packages,
because seamonkey too complains about zlib.
No result...
Cheers Erich
Is it possible that you upgraded FF from current instead of 14.2? If
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-14-2-
firefox-50-0-2-to-52-2-0esr-libxul-so-error-4175611700/
Post by Ars Ivci
t.
The OFFICIAL patches for Firefox and Thunderbird have BROKEN both of them
on my 64bit 14.2.

***@moria:~$ firefox
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib64/firefox/libxul.so:
/usr/lib64/../lib64/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required
by /usr/lib64/firefox/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.

***@moria:~$ thunderbird
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib64/thunderbird/libxul.so:
/usr/lib64/../lib64/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required
by /usr/lib64/thunderbird/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.
***@moria:~$

These are the 60.0 versions from the latest security advisory.

I'm pretty pissed off about this. Anyone know of a mirror that still has
the 52.x (?) versions available.

WTF Pat?
"Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet stepped on the land mine.
Thanks, Obama: Loading Image...
Erich Hoffmann
2018-09-09 06:39:49 UTC
Am Sun, 09 Sep 2018 00:11:55 +0000 schrieb Dan C:

(...)
Post by Dan C
t.
The OFFICIAL patches for Firefox and Thunderbird have BROKEN both of
them on my 64bit 14.2.
/usr/lib64/firefox/libxul.so: /usr/lib64/../lib64/libz.so.1: version
`ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib64/firefox/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.
/usr/lib64/thunderbird/libxul.so: /usr/lib64/../lib64/libz.so.1: version
`ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib64/thunderbird/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.
Ah! Thanks! This explains it! erich
Ars Ivci
2018-09-09 07:40:39 UTC
[...]
Post by Dan C
I'm pretty pissed off about this. Anyone know of a mirror that still has
the 52.x (?) versions available.
WTF Pat?
Look in /pasture. Pat placed a copy (ver 52) there.

t.
Erich Hoffmann
2018-09-09 15:22:37 UTC
Post by Ars Ivci
[...]
Post by Dan C
I'm pretty pissed off about this. Anyone know of a mirror that still
has the 52.x (?) versions available.
WTF Pat?
Look in /pasture. Pat placed a copy (ver 52) there.
t.
This solved it for now, thanks!

Erich

ps

but doesn't that mean that Pat was aware of a possible problem?
I'm looking forward to the further evolution of the zlib mozilla thing.

For now, I'm experimenting with the bunch of other web browsers
which is really interesting.
Ars Ivci
2018-09-09 15:56:57 UTC
Post by Erich Hoffmann
Post by Ars Ivci
[...]
Post by Dan C
I'm pretty pissed off about this. Anyone know of a mirror that still
has the 52.x (?) versions available.
WTF Pat?
Look in /pasture. Pat placed a copy (ver 52) there.
t.
This solved it for now, thanks!
Erich
ps
but doesn't that mean that Pat was aware of a possible problem?
I'm looking forward to the further evolution of the zlib mozilla thing.
Don't think so. Change log suggests sole reason being FF52 reaching EOL:

quote

Thu Sep 6 05:28:05 UTC 2018
Hey folks, in light of Firefox 52.x ESR reaching EOL a few hours ago,
I'm providing some updates. This required adding Rust and a newer
version of LLVM as optional updates for Slackware 14.2. And in case it
doesn't work for you (perhaps there's an extension you need that's not
supported by 60.x ESR), the last Firefox and Thunderbird 52.x EST have
been moved to /pasture as a fallback. If there are any more updates to
those (but I don't think there will be), I'll make those updates in
/pasture as well.
pasture/mozilla-firefox-52.9.0esr-x86_64-1_slack14.2.txz: Added.
Moved here from patches/packages/.

unquote

t.
Erich Hoffmann
2018-09-09 17:03:22 UTC
Post by Ars Ivci
(...)
Post by Erich Hoffmann
ps
but doesn't that mean that Pat was aware of a possible problem?
I'm looking forward to the further evolution of the zlib mozilla thing.
quote
(...)
Post by Ars Ivci
unquote
t.
I want to apologize for my ignorance.

If I have a problem with an upgrade, of course the Changelogs
are the first Information I have to adress myself to.

Thank you for the correction!

Erich
Dan C
2018-09-10 00:54:09 UTC
Post by Ars Ivci
[...]
Post by Dan C
I'm pretty pissed off about this. Anyone know of a mirror that still
has the 52.x (?) versions available.
WTF Pat?
Look in /pasture. Pat placed a copy (ver 52) there.
t.
Thanks, all is well again with the 52.x's.

Very unusual, perhaps never seen before by me at least, that an OFFICIAL
patch would so completely break two major apps.

Quite disappointing.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he strafed the lifeboats.
jrg
2018-09-09 18:38:54 UTC
Post by Dan C
Anyone know of a mirror that still has
the 52.x (?) versions available.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/

currently running 14.2 single user with FF 60.2 and have yet to have any
errors/problems, haven't had any for over 10 years save the occasional
pdf reader issues and stopping all the mozilla tracking calls to home.

Download the tarball & install it in your home or maybe /opt. Run it as
self-contained, blacklist it from slackpkg updates - do your own update
when you feel like it. Tbird is better with 2 folders, firefox runs
from firefox folder which includes everything plus your profile. You
may have some link issues at first - save your profile folder and wipe
all other mozilla stuff installed with slack.

If you are running multi-user and/or a network, or if you have
extensions you can't live without, this may not be ideal, but it has
worked for me since I got sick of missing bug fixes with the esr route.
Dan C
2018-09-10 00:58:04 UTC
Post by jrg
[...]
I have found and re-installed the official 52.x versions. Your method
above is not something I would do, because of the hassle, and I need multi-
user and network (and extensions).

I've never once EVER had something like this happen to a Slack
installation before, wondering how Pat could have let such a huge mistake
get through. I am running a "standard" 64bit 14.2, no bullshit like
slackpkg, and fully updated.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he called in an air strike.
Dan C
2018-09-15 14:45:55 UTC
Post by Dan C
Post by jrg
[...]
Well..... I must say that I have some egg on my face...

Turns out my system was *NOT* "fully updated" as I said above. I had ZLIB
version 1.2.8 on it, and the new Mozillas wanted 1.2.9 or better (as
previously noted in this thread). Right there in .../patches/packages was
ZLIB v 1.2.11. The reason I didn't know it was there, and didn't have it
installed, was that I monitor the security emails that come out, and
upgrade whatever packages they mention. But, the ZLIB was just a regular
update and not a security-related one, so I didn't see it. After applying
that ZLIB update, both the Firefox and Thunderbird version 60.x's worked
fine. Ugh. I guess the lesson learned is to check ALL the updates, not
just the security-related ones.

I will say that the new Thunderbird did not work with several of the
extensions/add-ons that I have in it, and I've reverted that one back to
the 52.x version. Hopefully the plugin makers will catch up eventually
and I'll try the 60+ again.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he inhaled.
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-09-19 21:06:42 UTC
... Right there in .../patches/packages was ZLIB v 1.2.11.
The reason I didn't know it was there, and didn't have it
installed, was that I monitor the security emails that come out,
and upgrade whatever packages they mention. But, the ZLIB was just
a regular update and not a security-related one, so I didn't see it.
After applying that ZLIB update, both the Firefox and Thunderbird
version 60.x's worked fine. Ugh. I guess the lesson learned is
to check ALL the updates, not just the security-related ones.
I've pointed to this before, but I'm going to bring it up again here
because I do think that you might find it makes tracking updates
quite a bit easier:

http://www.therockgarden.ca/software/slackware/UPGRADE.sh

I hope this helps ...
Sylvain Robitaille ***@encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dan C
2018-09-20 02:28:13 UTC
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
... Right there in .../patches/packages was ZLIB v 1.2.11.
The reason I didn't know it was there, and didn't have it installed,
was that I monitor the security emails that come out, and upgrade
whatever packages they mention. But, the ZLIB was just a regular
update and not a security-related one, so I didn't see it.
After applying that ZLIB update, both the Firefox and Thunderbird
version 60.x's worked fine. Ugh. I guess the lesson learned is to
check ALL the updates, not just the security-related ones.
I've pointed to this before, but I'm going to bring it up again here
because I do think that you might find it makes tracking updates quite a
http://www.therockgarden.ca/software/slackware/UPGRADE.sh
I hope this helps ...
Wow, nice. Very impressive scripting there, thanks.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he inserted the suppository.
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-09-20 15:35:15 UTC
Post by Dan C
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
http://www.therockgarden.ca/software/slackware/UPGRADE.sh
I hope this helps ...
Wow, nice. Very impressive scripting there, thanks.
Well, thank you. I appreciate the comment. I've been using (and
periodically touching up) that script for well over ten years now.
It's definitely a favorite.

Erich Hoffmann
2018-09-10 06:01:05 UTC
Am Sun, 09 Sep 2018 11:38:54 -0700 schrieb jrg:

(...)
Post by jrg
Download the tarball & install it in your home or maybe /opt. Run it as
self-contained, blacklist it from slackpkg updates - do your own update
when you feel like it. Tbird is better with 2 folders, firefox runs
from firefox folder which includes everything plus your profile. You
may have some link issues at first - save your profile folder and wipe
all other mozilla stuff installed with slack.
(...)

Yes, this is always a possibility and I could have thought of it. I'm
not running slackpgk, but I am a subscriber of the slackware-security
list, so I always have the choice
whether I want to upgrade or not. (Of course I should read the
changelog.)

If I remember right, the "original" slackware software philosophy was "go
to the homepage, download the source, complile and install it" or
something of the kind.

For the moment I installed the package in the /pasture directory
and everything works fine. Thanks!

erich
Erich Hoffmann
2018-09-09 06:38:23 UTC
(...)
Post by Ars Ivci
Is it possible that you upgraded FF from current instead of 14.2? If
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-14-2-
firefox-50-0-2-to-52-2-0esr-libxul-so-error-4175611700/
Post by Ars Ivci
t.
Excuse me for not mentioning that this is a slackware64-14.2.

Well yes it *is* a possibility that I took the wrong tree...but I checked,
the package is right.

Thanks ! erich
Henrik Carlqvist
2018-09-10 21:04:08 UTC
Yesterday I upgraded mozilla-firefox, following slackware-security mail.
Since then, I get the message
/usr/lib64/../lib64/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required
by /usr/lib64/seamonkey-2.49.4/libxul.so)
For those getting this problem the following commands might be helpful to
debug the problem:

$ ldd /usr/lib64/seamonkey-2.49.4/libxul.so | grep libz
$ strings /lib64/libz.so.1 | grep ZLIB
$ ls -al /var/log/packages/zlib-1.*
Due to the bug fixes, any installations of 1.2.9 or 1.2.10 should be
immediately replaced with 1.2.11.
So I should not install zlib 1.2.9 by hand.
So what can I do besides using dillo?
If you are running a system with security updates you should find that
you have /var/log/packages/zlib-1.2.11-x86_64-1_slack14.2 installed, at
least that is the last zlib from the changelog at
http://www.slackware.com/changelog/stable.php?cpu=x86_64

+--------------------------+
Thu Jul 12 01:50:07 UTC 2018
patches/packages/bind-9.10.8-x86_64-1_slack14.2.txz: Upgraded.
This update fixes security issues:
Fixed a bug where extraordinarily large zone transfers caused several
problems, with possible outcomes including corrupted journal files or
server exit due to assertion failure.
Don't permit recursive query service to unauthorized clients.
For more information, see:
https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2018-5738
(* Security fix *)
patches/packages/curl-7.61.0-x86_64-1_slack14.2.txz: Upgraded.
This update fixes a buffer overflow in SMTP send.
For more information, see:
https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2018-0500
(* Security fix *)
patches/packages/zlib-1.2.11-x86_64-1_slack14.2.txz: Upgraded.
This is a bugfix package update to fix decompression errors when zlib
is used with recent versions of Node.js. Thanks to Ken Zalewski for
the report.

With the above package installed you should find ZLIB_1.2.9 in your
/lib64/libz.so.1 and firefox should link to that file.

If not all of the above is true on your system you might at least have
been able to narrow it down.