Time Config
2020-05-31 01:49:05 UTC
While using the installer or running #timeconfig I set my time to =
"local - los angeles". What the system is giving me is "utc". Is this a
correct system setting or have I found a bug? Once I set the clock and
change it to local los angeles everything is fine, but if I don't the
clock is off at each boot.

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda5
Registered Linux User #380263
Auric__
2020-05-31 01:54:09 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
While using the installer or running #timeconfig I set my time to =
"local - los angeles". What the system is giving me is "utc". Is this a
correct system setting or have I found a bug? Once I set the clock and
change it to local los angeles everything is fine, but if I don't the
clock is off at each boot.
*nix systems expect the system clock to be set to UTC, and then it translates
that into local time based on your stated time zone. Sounds like your system
is working as expected.
The world is not what we wish it to be. It is what it is.
Jimmy Johnson
2020-05-31 20:55:23 UTC
Post by Auric__
Post by Jimmy Johnson
While using the installer or running #timeconfig I set my time to =
"local - los angeles". What the system is giving me is "utc". Is this a
correct system setting or have I found a bug? Once I set the clock and
change it to local los angeles everything is fine, but if I don't the
clock is off at each boot.
*nix systems expect the system clock to be set to UTC, and then it translates
that into local time based on your stated time zone. Sounds like your system
is working as expected.
Take a look at this:

Do you want to change your answer?

Slackware64 Current - i7-2820QM - EXT4 at sda6
Registered Linux User #380263
John McCue
2020-05-31 15:24:35 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
While using the installer or running #timeconfig I set my time to =
"local - los angeles". What the system is giving me is "utc". Is this a
correct system setting or have I found a bug? Once I set the clock and
change it to local los angeles everything is fine, but if I don't the
clock is off at each boot.
As root execute
/usr/sbin/timeconfig
to select your time zone and how your hardware clock
is set.
Jimmy Johnson
2020-05-31 19:27:27 UTC
Post by John McCue
Post by Jimmy Johnson
While using the installer or running #timeconfig I set my time to =
"local - los angeles". What the system is giving me is "utc". Is this a
correct system setting or have I found a bug? Once I set the clock and
change it to local los angeles everything is fine, but if I don't the
clock is off at each boot.
As root execute
/usr/sbin/timeconfig
to select your time zone and how your hardware clock
is set.
John I'm starting another kde5 install using the new for this month
ktown live iso, it's the system I've been having problems with, just
testing it as a live system and running 'timeconfig' and choosing local
time the system clock was correctly set to local time. When I do the
install and choose local time is when things get strange. I'll let you
know what I find after I finish the install. Hopefully while doing the
install and choosing local time and finish the install the time will be
local time just like I think it should be.

Slackware64 Current - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda5
2020-05-31 23:18:16 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Post by John McCue
Post by Jimmy Johnson
[...]
I'm in the new install now, as I said while running the live iso the
system said it was local us pacific time and running timeconfig and
choosing local pacific time the system still said local pacific time.
I think that is the way it should be. Also it's the way my bios time is set.

While doing the install I said local time - us pacific and booting into
the new system it said utc.

Running timeconfig and again setting it for local - pacific it still
said utc.

I'm pretty sure I found a bug.

Slackware64.Current.KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
2020-06-01 05:29:45 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Running timeconfig and again setting it for local - pacific it still
said utc.
I'm pretty sure I found a bug.
You might have found a bug as almost every unix user out there is using
UTC for their hardware clock in the BIOS/CMOS setup. Coming from a DOS/
Windows environment using local time in BIOS/CMOS setup might seem like a
natural choice, but the big advantage of having UTC in BIOS/CMOS setup is
that there is no need to compensate for daylight saving twice a year.

In fact, I have even applied this advantage to another clock: The clock
in my car. Previously it usually took some months before I remembered to
adjust the clock to summer time or winter time. The car was showing one
hour off more than half the year. With UTC the time here in sweden is one
hour off in the winter and two hours off in the summer, but it is allways
correct UTC time. However, sometimes when the car got back from service
the mechanic had adjusted the time to local time.

In my car I have a GPS navigator to navigate, that navigator is also able
to allways tell the correct time.
I also allways bring my phone in the car to be able to make calls. The
phone is also allways able to show correct time from the GSM network.
My car also has a stereo so I can listen to music, the stereo is also
able to allways shot the correct time from the RDS signal.
And finally my car has a clock with only one purpose: To show the correct
time and that one totally fails as it needs manual adjustment at least
twice a year!

2020-06-01 09:07:15 UTC
Post by Jimmy Johnson
Running timeconfig and again setting it for local - pacific it still
said utc.
I'm pretty sure I found a bug.
You might have found a bug as almost every unix user out there is using
UTC for their hardware clock in the BIOS/CMOS setup. Coming from a DOS/
Windows environment using local time in BIOS/CMOS setup might seem like a
natural choice, but the big advantage of having UTC in BIOS/CMOS setup is
that there is no need to compensate for daylight saving twice a year.
Hi Henrik, I have 6 slackware systems installed on this computer, 3 of
the installs are ktown plasma5 and are the only systems with the
local/time zone problem, my other 4 installed linux systems are other
distros, all are systemd free, what I now call "legacy linux". Anyways
none of them have a time problem except for the ktown. I may test some
more of eric's live installs, because I don't see the problem while
using the live iso from usb drive, it only pops up after the install. I
don't want to just tell eric I found a bug, I'd like to get a better
idea where the bug is coming from.
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
In fact, I have even applied this advantage to another clock: The clock
in my car. Previously it usually took some months before I remembered to
adjust the clock to summer time or winter time. The car was showing one
hour off more than half the year. With UTC the time here in sweden is one
hour off in the winter and two hours off in the summer, but it is allways
correct UTC time. However, sometimes when the car got back from service
the mechanic had adjusted the time to local time.
Here it's 7-8 hrs difference, to me a one or two hr difference seems
like a piece of cake, but I know it can be a pain.
Post by Henrik Carlqvist
In my car I have a GPS navigator to navigate, that navigator is also able
to allways tell the correct time.
I also allways bring my phone in the car to be able to make calls. The
phone is also allways able to show correct time from the GSM network.
My car also has a stereo so I can listen to music, the stereo is also
able to allways shot the correct time from the RDS signal.
And finally my car has a clock with only one purpose: To show the correct
time and that one totally fails as it needs manual adjustment at least
twice a year!
My, but you are a bugger for having the correct time, just like me. :)

Slackware64.Current.KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
2020-06-01 09:19:48 UTC
Post by John McCue
Post by Jimmy Johnson
While using the installer or running #timeconfig I set my time to =
"local - los angeles". What the system is giving me is "utc". Is this a
correct system setting or have I found a bug? Once I set the clock and
change it to local los angeles everything is fine, but if I don't the
clock is off at each boot.
As root execute
/usr/sbin/timeconfig
to select your time zone and how your hardware clock
is set.
John if you have read my other post then you know I have ran timeconfig
from the live iso and it looks good, it's after and during the install
when timeconfig fails.

Thanks,

Slackware64.Current.KDE5 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9