Black splotch?
Add Reply
Martha Adams
2018-09-22 16:15:09 UTC
I'm running Firefox in a Slackware 14.1 environment. I scout a
lot around the internet. Lately I've been seeing a sizable
black splotch appearing on my screen. It has a tab containing
a 'Close' and an X. There is no visible content in the black
splotch. It appears rarely, not every screen (once today). I
think this looks suspicious, and when I see one of those, I
close the page.

But does anyone have an idea what might be going on here? ??

Thanks -- Martha Adams [Sat 2018 Sep 22]
jrg
2018-09-22 23:52:39 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
I'm running Firefox in a Slackware 14.1 environment. I scout a
lot around the internet. Lately I've been seeing a sizable
black splotch appearing on my screen. It has a tab containing
a 'Close' and an X. There is no visible content in the black
splotch. It appears rarely, not every screen (once today). I
think this looks suspicious, and when I see one of those, I
close the page.
But does anyone have an idea what might be going on here? ??
Thanks -- Martha Adams [Sat 2018 Sep 22]
You may want to check video drivers for updates. On Firefox, you could
try to refresh the program if you have made a few settings to config -
what vers FF?
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2018-09-23 00:16:04 UTC
I'm running Firefox in a Slackware 14.1 environment. I scout a lot
around the internet. Lately I've been seeing a sizable black splotch
appearing on my screen. It has a tab containing a 'Close' and an X.
There is no visible content in the black splotch. It appears rarely,
not every screen (once today). I think this looks suspicious, and when
I see one of those, I close the page.
But does anyone have an idea what might be going on here? ??
An example URL would be nice. I suspect you're seeing some page
that's pushing a video. Maybe you have a video blocker. Maybe
it's a *&&% autoplay video. More sites these days are playing
these stupid games with their annoying videos. Many of them
are not even ads!

So, welcome to the BS that the web has become in 2018.
Martha Adams
2018-09-29 16:01:18 UTC
Post by Zaphod Beeblebrox
I'm running Firefox in a Slackware 14.1 environment. I scout a lot
around the internet. Lately I've been seeing a sizable black splotch
appearing on my screen. It has a tab containing a 'Close' and an X.
There is no visible content in the black splotch. It appears rarely,
not every screen (once today). I think this looks suspicious, and when
I see one of those, I close the page.
But does anyone have an idea what might be going on here? ??
An example URL would be nice. I suspect you're seeing some page
that's pushing a video. Maybe you have a video blocker. Maybe
it's a *&&% autoplay video. More sites these days are playing
these stupid games with their annoying videos. Many of them
are not even ads!
So, welcome to the BS that the web has become in 2018.
=================================

The black splotch, maybe better called a 'black block' with a
'Close X' tab and no other content, certainly does not originate
in my home machine. It seems to appear only in screens from the
Washington Post, and it appears to run in spells or cycles --
more nuisance some days than others. I *do not* accept the
opportunity to click on the 'X', I close the page.

Titeotwawki -- Martha Adams [Sat 2018 Sep 29]
jrg
2018-09-29 17:17:03 UTC
Post by Martha Adams
Post by Zaphod Beeblebrox
[...]
So sounds like Zaphod is correct in this possibly being a video issue.
Are you using any blockers? You can possibly block that "block" element.
You can set video auto-play to off using your config settings, setting
"media.autoplay.enabled" to false.
Some of these are hard to block, however - yahoo's websites are an example.