Running Android apps under Slackware
Jean F. Martinelle
2020-09-11 19:42:34 UTC
How can one run (or attempt to run) Android apps under Slackware?
For other Linux distributions the recommended approach seems to be AnBox.
However, this relies on snap, which is not available for Slackware. One
can of course run an Android x86 VM, but having to launch the whole thing
just to run a small handful of apps seems to be overkill. Also, I have
yet to be able to get the sound to work in Android apps under such a
setting.

I really just want to run a few small Android apps under
Slackware. Any suggestions on how to do this?
tom
2020-09-11 19:57:11 UTC
On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 19:42:34 +0000 (UTC)
Post by Jean F. Martinelle
How can one run (or attempt to run) Android apps under
Slackware? For other Linux distributions the recommended approach
seems to be AnBox. However, this relies on snap, which is not
available for Slackware. One can of course run an Android x86 VM, but
having to launch the whole thing just to run a small handful of apps
seems to be overkill. Also, I have yet to be able to get the sound to
work in Android apps under such a setting.
I really just want to run a few small Android apps under
Slackware. Any suggestions on how to do this?
How would you install Android into an x86_64 VM? I've never installed
android with an iso file before.
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-09-11 20:17:07 UTC
Post by tom
One can of course run an Android x86 VM, but having to
launch the whole thing just to run a small handful of apps seems to be
overkill. Also, I have yet to be able to get the sound to work in
Android apps under such a setting.
I really just want to run a few small Android apps under
Slackware. Any suggestions on how to do this?
How would you install Android into an x86_64 VM? I've never installed
android with an iso file before.
As mentioned, it is fully possible to install Android x86
( https://www.android-x86.org/ ) from an .iso-file in some VM like qemu.
I once used to do that when I had an Android app which I couldn't run on
my phone.

It would also be possible to install the entire Android SDK to get access
to a big number of Android versions in emulated phones (once again this
is built using qemu to emulate an ARM-based phone), but I would consider
that to be even more overkill.

It was many years since I had the need to run Android apps in Slackware
and back then I used Android X86 and/or Remix OS in qemu which I started
with something like:

qemu-system-x86_64_1.1.1 -enable-kvm -m 4096 -snapshot -vga std -smp 4
remix.img

However, I never had the need for any sound in my Android apps.