permissions for zoom
john connolly
2020-04-20 17:16:30 UTC
Hi, I have used zoom a few times and have discovered that the sound
doesn't work when I use zoom as user but it does when I use it as root.
Is it necessary to run it as root and if not what permission(s) to I
have to change to get the sound to work as user?
Thanks, jwc
Lew Pitcher
2020-04-20 18:03:23 UTC
Post by john connolly
Hi, I have used zoom a few times and have discovered that the sound
doesn't work when I use zoom as user but it does when I use it as root.
Is it necessary to run it as root and if not what permission(s) to I
have to change to get the sound to work as user?
Thanks, jwc
It would depend on which Slackware version you run, but...
try adding the group 'audio' to your user's supplementary groups.
Also, don't forget to unmute your mic

Hope this helps
--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"
Rich
2020-04-20 18:15:04 UTC
Post by john connolly
Hi, I have used zoom a few times and have discovered that the sound
doesn't work when I use zoom as user but it does when I use it as root.
Is it necessary to run it as root and if not what permission(s) to I
have to change to get the sound to work as user?
Thanks, jwc
Is the user (normal user) that is running zoom in the "audio" group?

If not, add that user to the "audio" group and logout/login as that
user to reset the group permissions for that user.
john connolly
2020-04-20 19:16:54 UTC
Post by john connolly
Hi, I have used zoom a few times and have discovered that the sound
doesn't work when I use zoom as user but it does when I use it as root.
Is it necessary to run it as root and if not what permission(s) to I
have to change to get the sound to work as user?
Thanks, jwc
Thanks for the replies, I added user to the audio group and I now have
access to the sound icon so I guess the problem is resolved