Tips for maintenance / backup and Python programming on Slackware 14.2?
Per Christensen
2020-11-29 18:03:05 UTC
Had recently my hands on a secondhand 32bit laptop now with Salix /
Slackware 14.2 installed.
To my great joy some apps not found in the 14.2 repository appear to
work geat:

Bleachbit 4.1 (Cc cleaner "clone")
Thonny 3.3.0 (Python 3.7 environment)
and Timeshift 18.9.1 (backup utility)

Regarding Thonny: the bash script from Thonnys Github page if executed
with bash "thonny.xxx.bash" will download and install Thonny

With respect to Bleachbit: the 4.1 .rpm from Alt Linux Sisyphous works
fine if converted to .tgz with rpm2tgz (perhaps also if directly
installed with rpm itself).

And "timeshift-v19.01-i386.run" downloaded from the Gitub repository
install nicely if executed as a script.It must be run as root with
"timeshift-launcher"

(Timeshift reckognize without problems the unnmounted (sda3) partition I
use for storage and backups)

This is just tips - I'm very satisfied with the operating system and
thankful to the developers - feedback, comments, discussion with other
user would be fun :)
Henrik Carlqvist
2020-11-30 07:02:05 UTC
Post by Per Christensen
(Timeshift reckognize without problems the unnmounted (sda3) partition I
use for storage and backups)
This is just tips - I'm very satisfied with the operating system and
thankful to the developers - feedback, comments, discussion with other
user would be fun :)
For backups, I would probably prefer some removable media or at least
some other machine in the network. If a partition like /dev/sda3 is used
to backup other partitions on /dev/sda, what if the entire disk /dev/sda
would get a hardware failure?

Many years ago, some people or someone (probably with some commercial
interest) wrote somve very useful and amusing web pages about what to
think when you plan your backup system:

http://www.taobackup.com/coverage.html

Page 3 of those web pages is about separation:

http://www.taobackup.com/separation.html

regards Henrik
Per Christensen
2020-11-30 12:34:24 UTC
"Many years ago, some people or someone (probably with some commercial
interest) wrote somve very useful and amusing web pages about what to
think when you plan your backup system:>
http://www.taobackup.com/coverage.html>
Page 3 of those web pages is about separation:>
http://www.taobackup.com/separation.html"
True wise words from Tao, The Chinese Guru :)
Some of the idea behind Timeshift as an executable .run file is probably
to leave a copy on the hard disk (or on a usb stick) that can be
installed into memory if booting a live Linux rescue system.
From the command line on my laptop I had success in creating a snapshot
on sda3 with:
root[/]# timeshift --create --snapshot '2020-11-11' --snapshot-device
/dev/sda3 --target /dev/sda1
To restore from the command line I believe "--create" just have to be
replaced with "--restore"
(is still on the path of enlightenment, and have not tried yet :) )