Linux internet cafe
ext2box
2003-09-25 20:54:59 UTC
I would like to here from people who have seen or used Linux in an internet
cafe. I'm intreasted to see how and were they have implemented it's use.
Any URL's to cafes using Linux would be a great start. I've seen very little
usable cafe management software out there for Linux. Purhaps there isn't a
need for it, I'm the only cafe owner on the planet that seems to think
Linux is the way to go???? or am I totally wrong ??? let me know. Are
internet cafe's a dead issue ? wi-fi access points replaced the need for a
place for people hang out ? hey what do you think ??

THX
NeoSadist
2003-09-25 23:02:09 UTC
<posted & mailed>
Post by ext2box
I would like to here from people who have seen or used Linux in an
internet cafe. I'm intreasted to see how and were they have implemented
it's use. Any URL's to cafes using Linux would be a great start. I've seen
very little usable cafe management software out there for Linux. Purhaps
there isn't a need for it, I'm the only cafe owner on the planet that
seems to think Linux is the way to go???? or am I totally wrong ??? let me
know. Are internet cafe's a dead issue ? wi-fi access points replaced the
need for a place for people hang out ? hey what do you think ??
THX
I've used internet cafes before, but never Linux. I'd assume that people go
there for all the generic stuff: internet (browsers), email, news, and
maybe IM. Therefore, you'd probably need to just add like one user per
computer with blank password. I'd think that the security is enough to
prevent them from gaining root, so long as you use a long, cryptic password
for root. Also, you can tighten down the user permissions by not allowing
them to access gunzip/bunzip2/tar/cfdisk/fdisk/zip .... etc.
Linux is the way to go, however, due to its stability and security (in my
opinion). Harder to be hacked. No spyware-auto-install worries like
internet explorer.
Internet cafes aren't dead so long as the connection is fast (in my
opinion).
--
" ... and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights ... "
--Preamble, Declaration of Independance
Stuart Winter
2003-09-26 02:44:56 UTC
Post by NeoSadist
I've used internet cafes before, but never Linux. I'd assume that people go
there for all the generic stuff: internet (browsers), email, news, and
maybe IM.
[..]

http://www.pienetworks.com/

This company produce a cabinet that has a standard
PC locked away with a monitor too -- it basically
looks like a games arcade machine.

I have only seen them in Western Australia though
and their Linux is well secured, but they're useless
if you want to do anything other than viewing
web sites and using web based email. You can't
bring up a xterm or run any commands (or at least
I couldn't) and I couldn't use my Java SSH client
either because of a local proxy it was running.
--
Stuart Winter
www.interlude.org.uk & www.biscuit.org.uk
danm
2003-09-26 05:03:06 UTC
Post by ext2box
I would like to here from people who have seen or used Linux in an internet
cafe.
Hi. I havent personally used this cafe's computers but I've looked and seen that they are using redhat linux. Croissanttree is a small chain in Toronto which is more cafe than internet, ie food and drink seems to be their business. Internet access is free with some kind of food purchase. They are also providing wireless access.

http://www.croissanttree.com/stores/625_church.htm

dan
Jurgen Philippaerts
2003-09-26 06:20:00 UTC
Hi. I havent personally used this cafe's computers but I've looked and seen that they are using redhat linux. Croissanttree is a small chain in Toronto which is more cafe than internet, ie food and drink seems to be their business. Internet access is free with some kind of food purchase. They are also providing wireless access.
why is it that just about every Sylpheed user hasn't set up linewrap
properly ?

please fix your misconfigured newsclient.
thank you.

Jurgen.
Red Magic
2003-09-26 09:17:25 UTC
Hi. I havent personally used this cafe's computers but I've
looked and seen that they are using redhat linux. Croissanttree
is a small chain in Toronto which is more cafe than internet,
ie food and drink seems to be their business. Internet access
is free with some kind of food purchase. They are also
providing wireless access.
why is it that just about every Sylpheed user hasn't set up
linewrap properly ?
If you use vim with more than rudimentary knowledge, fixing the
problem yourself is quite easy. But then you wouldn't have a
chance to shit on a newbie and that's what it is all about for
you, isn't it sweetie?

Write some more letters.

cordially, even to trolls,

rm
DB
2003-09-26 12:56:42 UTC
Post by Red Magic
Hi. I havent personally used this cafe's computers but I've
looked and seen that they are using redhat linux. Croissanttree
is a small chain in Toronto which is more cafe than internet,
ie food and drink seems to be their business. Internet access
is free with some kind of food purchase. They are also
providing wireless access.
why is it that just about every Sylpheed user hasn't set up
linewrap properly ?
If you use vim with more than rudimentary knowledge, fixing the
problem yourself is quite easy. But then you wouldn't have a
chance to shit on a newbie and that's what it is all about for
you, isn't it sweetie?
Write some more letters.
cordially, even to trolls,
rm
If bitchboy deleted the message, why did bitchboy reply to it?

Franz M. Sauerzopf
2003-09-26 06:37:42 UTC
... Perhaps
there isn't a need for it, I'm the only cafe owner on the planet that
seems to think Linux is the way to go???? or am I totally wrong ???
Actually, there was a thread in this ng, just a short time ago called:
linux internet cafe setup. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Good luck
Franz
--
Franz M. Sauerzopf