When will Slackware offer an up to date Qt5?
j***@wexfordpress.com
2018-04-07 16:26:40 UTC
There is a version on Slackbuild but building it takes a full day and if you don't have the prerequisites loaded first it won'rt compile. I use slackware
current.

I am trying to compile a program (Scribus 1.5.4) that lists the folLowing prerequisites:

Qt >= 5.5.0 (Scribus has specific code requiring Qt 5.5.0, not Qt 5.4.x or before)
Freetype >= 2.1.7 (2.3.x strongly recommended)
cairo >= 1.14.x
libtiff >= 3.6.0
LittleCMS (liblcms) >= 2.0 (2.1+ recommended)
libjpeg (depending on how Qt is packaged)
harfbuzz = > 0.9.42
libicu

Recommended:
CUPS
Fontconfig >= 2.0
LibXML2 >= 2.6.0
GhostScript >= 8.0 (9.0+ or greater preferred)
Python >= 2.3
tkinter for the font sampler script
python-imaging for the font sampler preview
pkgconfig (to assist finding other libraries)
hunspell for the spell checker
podofo - 0.7.0+ for enhanced Illustrator AI/EPS import, svn versions
boost and boost-devel
GraphicksMagick++

The most difficult is Qt5.7

John Culleton
root
2018-04-07 17:33:35 UTC
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
[...]
Install and configure slpkg. Then fetch Qt5-5.71 from slonly. On my
system I found:
Installing:
qt5-5.6.1 5.7.1 x86_64 10 slonly 63328 K
Installing for dependencies:
libxkbcommon-0.6.1 0.7.1 x86_64 1 slonly 236 K
libinput 1.8.3 x86_64 2 slonly 508 K

Took only a few minutes.

The command was:
slpkg -s slonly qt5
Rich
2018-04-08 14:28:26 UTC
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
There is a version on Slackbuild but building it takes a full day
So what? It is not like you need to recompile it every second day.
You compile it once, you are done (until an upgrade to qt or
Slackware). It is also something you can 'nice -19' into the
background and go about using the rest of the system while it compiles.

Small tip if you are reinstalling your slackware multiple times, don't
compile qt multiple times. Compile it once, and keep the tgz install
file around. You can then reinstall your current slackware and simply
reinstall the already compiled qt5 tgz file.
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
and if you don't have the prerequisites loaded first it won'rt
compile.
Not relevant to qt5 at all. This is normal for *all* software (well,
all of life actually). If there are prerequisites and you don't have
them, then what you want to do will not likely be possible.
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
I use slackware current.
It is not so much which version you use, but how often you try to
compile qt5. Keeping the tgz around will let you avoid several of
those recompiles.
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
The most difficult is Qt5.7
No, likely just the one that takes the longest. Building from the SBo
file is two downloads, unpacking one tar.gz file, and running one
script. Hardly difficult in any way. Lengthy, yes, but not at all
difficult.

You've also been very cagey about the exact time you see (all day could
mean 24 hours or it could be relative to your personal preferences).

Compiling Qt5 on my dual cpu system in dual cpu compile mode takes 5.2
hours. A long time, yes, but certianly not something I'd consider
quite yet into the 'all day' realm. And I went about using the system
for other things, so an idle system (as in start the process at night,
let it run overnight) might have been somewhat faster).

And the time to compile can be 'adjusted' by what power system you are
willing to buy. A four, eight, sixteen, or thirty-two cpu system
should compile it much faster than a two cpu system. So you also have
the option of upgrading to a faster system to shrink the compile times.
Dan C
2018-04-08 17:16:03 UTC
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
There is a version on Slackbuild but building it takes a full day
Perhaps you need a more modern/powerful system.
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
and if you don't have the prerequisites loaded first it won'rt compile.
No shit. That's true for any software.
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
I use slackware current.
Perhaps you shouldn't be.
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
AI/EPS import, svn versions boost and boost-devel GraphicksMagick++
The most difficult is Qt5.7
John Culleton
Perhaps if you quit complaining about nothing, you'd have it finished
already.

<BOGGLE>
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he cut his initials in the snow.
Thanks, Obama: Loading Image...
Ralph Spitzner
2018-04-09 06:01:50 UTC
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
The most difficult is Qt5.7
As it says it needs >= 5.7, I recently compiled qt5.9.4 using icecc
running on 4 machines. Still took abeout 4 hrs.
You have to edit the slackbuild, to adjust
'make -j<whatevercores/jobs>'.

If you want everything done for you use Ubuntu or any other debian.

-rasp
j***@wexfordpress.com
2018-04-09 19:01:07 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
The most difficult is Qt5.7
As it says it needs >= 5.7, I recently compiled qt5.9.4 using icecc
running on 4 machines. Still took abeout 4 hrs.
You have to edit the slackbuild, to adjust
'make -j<whatevercores/jobs>'.
If you want everything done for you use Ubuntu or any other debian.
-rasp
No, but I want a reasonable set of tools to handle the compile of the latest overnight source code of a certain application.

what is icecc?
Dan C
2018-04-10 03:14:05 UTC
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
The most difficult is Qt5.7
As it says it needs >= 5.7, I recently compiled qt5.9.4 using icecc
running on 4 machines. Still took abeout 4 hrs.
You have to edit the slackbuild, to adjust 'make
-j<whatevercores/jobs>'.
If you want everything done for you use Ubuntu or any other debian.
-rasp
No, but I want a reasonable set of tools to handle the compile of the
latest overnight source code of a certain application.
You don't have a "reasonable set of tools" with Slackware?

What exactly are you missing?

I'm thinking maybe you *SHOULD* be running Ubuntu or similar. Or Windoze.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he stepped into the acceleration chamber.
Ed Wilson
2018-04-10 15:01:44 UTC
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
The most difficult is Qt5.7
As it says it needs >= 5.7, I recently compiled qt5.9.4 using icecc
running on 4 machines. Still took abeout 4 hrs.
You have to edit the slackbuild, to adjust
'make -j<whatevercores/jobs>'.
If you want everything done for you use Ubuntu or any other debian.
-rasp
No, but I want a reasonable set of tools to handle the compile of the
latest overnight source code of a certain application.
what is icecc?
How much is changing every night?

I would suggest reading the man pages for distcc and ccache. Both programs
are designed to speed up compile times in different ways and are included in
Slackware.

Ed Wilson
Ralph Spitzner
2018-04-11 11:06:13 UTC
***@wexfordpress.com wrote on 04/09/2018 09:01 PM:
[....]
e set of tools to handle the compile of the latest overnight source code
of a certain application.
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
what is icecc?
icecc is somewhat similar to distcc, except it does not require
identical comilers on all machines and is able to compile the kernel aswell.

ccache is useful for qt5 as there are many compilations (compiles?) of
the same file in webkit.

basically ccache checks whether the file is the same and already
compiled, if not it delegates to icecc, which in turn assigns jobs
to the available machines.

-rasp
No signature available.
Jens Stuckelberger
2018-04-11 14:14:14 UTC
Post by Ralph Spitzner
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
The most difficult is Qt5.7
As it says it needs >= 5.7, I recently compiled qt5.9.4 using icecc
running on 4 machines. Still took abeout 4 hrs.
You have to edit the slackbuild, to adjust 'make
-j<whatevercores/jobs>'.
On this subject, anybody know why it takes such a long time to
build QT5? According to what I read '[QT5] enables developers to develop
applications with intuitive user interfaces for multiple targets, faster
than ever before." Nice, but it's not like it is an operating system or
anything like that.

Why does it take hours to build QT5 while, in the same system,
one can build a fully functional Linux kernel, with lots of bells and
whistles, in a small fraction of that time?
Ralph Spitzner
2018-04-12 10:31:42 UTC
Jens Stuckelberger wrote on 04/11/2018 04:14 PM:
[...]
Post by Jens Stuckelberger
On this subject, anybody know why it takes such a long time to
build QT5? According to what I read '[QT5] enables developers to develop
[...]

Well you basically build a whole infrastructure of things, like
a browser (webkit), videoplayer, text editor et al.

Then there's all the GUI stuff, wich is supposed to look alike on all
platforms.

Building openoffice, godzilla or X11 also takes much longer than the kernel.

It simply is 'more lines', and most of it is C++ not C, so you haul in
a truckload of code by using/extending some 'Class', which in turn uses
another, that uses another.....

[that's where ccache is useful]

-rasp
Rich
2018-04-15 19:33:02 UTC
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
There is a version on Slackbuild but building it takes a full day and
if you don't have the prerequisites loaded first it won'rt compile.
I use slackware current.
John,

I just discovered this site:

https://slackonly.com/

It contains pre-compiled binaries of SlackBuild script items.

Including qt5.
Dan C
2018-04-16 02:44:07 UTC
Post by Rich
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
There is a version on Slackbuild but building it takes a full day and
if you don't have the prerequisites loaded first it won'rt compile. I
use slackware current.
John,
https://slackonly.com/
It contains pre-compiled binaries of SlackBuild script items.
Including qt5.
Well, now you've done it.

What's he gonna bitch about now? You've ruined him. :)
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he put Spanish Fly in Christopher Robin's drink.
Rich
2018-04-16 11:37:04 UTC
Post by Dan C
Post by Rich
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
There is a version on Slackbuild but building it takes a full day
and if you don't have the prerequisites loaded first it won'rt
compile. I use slackware current.
John,
https://slackonly.com/
It contains pre-compiled binaries of SlackBuild script items.
Including qt5.
Well, now you've done it.
What's he gonna bitch about now? You've ruined him. :)
Well, yeah, but....

Reading his postings, it sounded like he planned to make modifications
to the Scribus source to contribute to the project. A nobile goal in
an of itself.

But my next thought was that if he was this amateur at installing qt5,
then I fear for the Scribus maintainers when they see his contributed
code. I.e., if he is honestly skilled enough to add features to
Scribus, then none of these complaints should have even been posted
here, because they would never have been an issue for him in the first
place. So these complaints imply a serious lack of skill at this time
towards his intended goal.
jrg
Theres always TeX
j***@wexfordpress.com
2018-05-06 22:29:15 UTC
Post by Dan C
Post by Rich
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
There is a version on Slackbuild but building it takes a full day and
if you don't have the prerequisites loaded first it won'rt compile. I
use slackware current.
John,
https://slackonly.com/
It contains pre-compiled binaries of SlackBuild script items.
Including qt5.
Well, now you've done it.
What's he gonna bitch about now? You've ruined him. :)
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he put Spanish Fly in Christopher Robin's drink.
I downloaded Qt5 from its home site and installed it,
The latest version of Scribus compiled correctly from source.

But like all other recent versions of Scribus on execution it showed "Segmentation Fault".
I did everything as root.

So back I go to Fedora for this app. In my years with Slack (since the days of
5 inch floppies) I never had this much trouble with compiling and using an app.
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-05-07 14:56:21 UTC
... In my years with Slack (since the days of 5 inch floppies)
I never had this much trouble with compiling and using an app.
Um ... so how many "5 inch floppies" did you *ever* get Slackware on???
Sylvain Robitaille ***@encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Dan C
2018-05-08 15:03:21 UTC
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
Post by Dan C
Post by Rich
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
[...]
Yeah.... I'm thinking perhaps you should just stick with Fedora.

Or maybe Ubuntu. See sig line below.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as the woodpecker approached his hot-air balloon.
j***@wexfordpress.com
John Culleton
j***@wexfordpress.com
2018-05-10 16:26:08 UTC
To answer all your questions:
Actually I don''t remember how many 5 inch floppies. More recently I used a set of about 18 3.5 inch floppies. And of course in recent times I have used cds and even more recently dvd's.

I have tried all the other linux versions suggested by others but I feel most at ease with Slackware.

I have used several versions of Tex including the original product. When I was active typesetting and indexing books I tended to use the eplain version and more recently the Context version. For one customer I used LaTeX and the Memoir class when it seemed most appropriate.

With respect to Scribus which I have used mainly for cover design I would like to program a working TOC facility and also an indexing facility. I also plan to reissue my pdf book on using Scribus for cover design.

Most of my programming work has been done in various versions of COBOL. Twice I shook hands with the woman who invented COBOL, Grace Murray Hopper. But I have done work in RPG when required by management to use that language. I have fiddled with Perl, Python and Tcl/Tk

Id you visit my web page wexfordpress.com you can see an example of my work in web page design.

Perhaps my reach exceeds my grasp. But at age 85 I intend to live until they plant me, and work until Parkinson's cripples me entirely.

Thanks to all who replied.

John Culleton
Jens Stuckelberger
2018-05-10 18:00:19 UTC
A tip of the hat to you, sir.
jrg
2018-05-10 18:50:50 UTC
Post by j***@wexfordpress.com
But at age 85
No surprise there since you mention using RPG :)
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-05-11 16:45:23 UTC
Actually I don''t remember how many 5 inch floppies. ...
I'm going to suggest that your memory perhaps fails you here. Your
computer perhaps had a 5-1/4" floppy disk drive in it, but it most
certainly also had a 3-1/2" floppy drive. Slackware was originally
released on 1.44MB (3-1/2") floppy disk images. You wouldn't have
gotten these onto 5-1/4" disks in any usable form.

see http://www.slackware.com/announce/1.0.php for the original
announcement.

Petri Kaukasoina
2018-05-18 11:35:01 UTC
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
Actually I don''t remember how many 5 inch floppies. ...
I'm going to suggest that your memory perhaps fails you here. Your
computer perhaps had a 5-1/4" floppy disk drive in it, but it most
certainly also had a 3-1/2" floppy drive. Slackware was originally
released on 1.44MB (3-1/2") floppy disk images. You wouldn't have
gotten these onto 5-1/4" disks in any usable form.
A copy of https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-1.1.2/5_25.rme follows...

Instructions for installing Slackware on machines with a 5.25" boot drive
and a 3.5" second floppy drive.
---------------

5.25" boot drives have been well supported since version 1.1.1. It is possible
to install on a machine that has only a 5.25" drive. Note however, that this
doesn't mean it will be as easy as installing from 3.5", but if you install off
of your hard drive it may actually be easier.

The first 3 disks of Slackware Linux, the A disks, should all fit within
1.2M. To install them, you'll need a boot kernel, and a rootdisk. These can
be found under bootdisk/1_2meg. Read the README file in the bootdisk
directory, it gives more information about the new bootdisks.

To make the boot kernel disk, copy the boot kernel of your choice to a floppy
using dd or RAWWRITE.EXE.

To make the root disk, write color12 or tty12 to a floppy in the same way.

Use the boot kernel disk to boot the rootdisk (color12 or tty12), and install
from there. This will load the ramdisk. Once you have the "darkstar:" prompt
you may remove the disk from your machine and continue with the installation.

Once you've got the base system installed, you can install the rest of the
disks by downloaded them on to your harddrive and installing them from there.
Disk series other than A won't wit onto 1.2M disks.

I sincerely hope this helps!

---
Patrick Volkerding
***@ftp.cdrom.com
***@mhd1.moorhead.msus.edu
Alexander Grotewohl
So the answer is.. 4 disks? After which somehow the rest got installed.
Eef Hartman
2018-05-19 00:29:09 UTC
Post by Alexander Grotewohl
Post by Petri Kaukasoina
Disk series other than A won't wit onto 1.2M disks.
So the answer is.. 4 disks? After which somehow the rest got installed.
5 disks: boot, root and A1 thru A3

From the READ.ME in slackware-1.1.2/bootdisk/1_2meg:
You will need at least one bootkernel, and one rootdisk.

These are bootkernels:

-rw-r--r-- 1 volkerdi 248343 Feb 5 01:27 bareboot.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 volkerdi 551447 Feb 5 01:28 cd_boot.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 volkerdi 513597 Feb 5 01:29 net_boot.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 volkerdi 492767 Feb 11 15:14 onlyscsi.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 volkerdi 551839 Feb 11 15:16 scsiboot.gz

This is the rootdisk:

-rw-r--r-- 1 volkerdi 408109 Feb 5 01:31 tty12.gz

BTW: it _was_ possible to put both a boot and the root disk on the
same floppy, they're small enough for that (at that time), but you
have to trick it a little (hardcode the root filename into the boot
kernel). By default it took the FIRST file on each of both floppies.

And to "install the rest" you could use the net_boot or (if you did
have a CDrom drive) cd_boot kernel, I believe (been a LONG time since
I did that, 1.1.2 was my first Slackware too, in 1994).
Alexander Grotewohl
Interesting. Wish I had an older machine like that to try it out on.
Rich
2018-05-19 15:11:06 UTC
Post by Petri Kaukasoina
[...]
The files, if you can find a complete set, will likely boot inside of a
VirtualBox VM (or vmware or other if you like). Granted, it would not
be quite the same as using an actual machine from the time, but
boot/install to a VM might work.
Eef Hartman
2018-05-25 11:36:40 UTC
Post by Rich
Post by Alexander Grotewohl
Interesting. Wish I had an older machine like that to try it out on.
The files, if you can find a complete set, will likely boot inside of a
VirtualBox VM (or vmware or other if you like).
Complete sets of older Slackware releases can be found i.e. on
https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware
(the 1.01 release seems to be incomplete, only the "a*" sets are
there, but the 1.1.2 one has got more then 50 "disk set" subdirs,
looks to be complete).
Slackware 1.1.2 happened to be my first version too, I remember how
much work it was to download and put to floppy all of those separate
sets of files (although I do not remember the oi (Object Interface)
ones and they're not mentioned in the readme).
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-05-31 18:28:49 UTC
On 2018-05-18, Petri Kaukasoina wrote:

sr>> ... Slackware was originally released on 1.44MB (3-1/2") floppy
sr>> disk images. You wouldn't have gotten these onto 5-1/4" disks
sr>> in any usable form.
Post by Petri Kaukasoina
A copy of
https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-1.1.2/5_25.rme
follows...
Instructions for installing Slackware on machines with a 5.25" boot
drive and a 3.5" second floppy drive.
---------------
I don't mind being proven wrong (and I do apologize for not having been
around to see this sooner), but I'm still going to go out on a limb and
suggest that the OP never had Slackware on 5.25" floppies ...

Rich
2018-05-31 22:39:57 UTC
Post by Petri Kaukasoina
A copy of
https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-1.1.2/5_25.rme
follows...
Instructions for installing Slackware on machines with a 5.25" boot
drive and a 3.5" second floppy drive.
---------------
I don't mind being proven wrong (and I do apologize for not having been
around to see this sooner), but I'm still going to go out on a limb and
suggest that the OP never had Slackware on 5.25" floppies ...
Someone else in this thread posted a quote from an early documentation
file indicating that at least the boot and root disks that were used to
initially boot into the installer were sized such that they could be
written to either 5.25" or 3.5" floppies for the purpose of initial
bootstrap.

One was left to their own devices for the A-Y disk sets to get them
loaded (the doc file suggested using network download or preloading on
a HD partition).

So yes, the full install set would never have been on 5.25" floppies,
but being able to boot from a 5.25" drive to get started was actually
supported at one point.
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-06-01 15:17:34 UTC
Post by Rich
Someone else in this thread posted a quote from an early documentation
file indicating that at least the boot and root disks that were used to
initially boot into the installer were sized such that they could be
written to either 5.25" or 3.5" floppies for the purpose of initial
bootstrap.
Yeah I know. ... That was the message I quoted from in fact. ...

I realize you're trying to be helpful, and that's fine, but you might
find it useful to read some older messages for a while to learn a
bit about frequent posters to this newsgroup ...

Rich
For being an arsehole, you've been plonk'ed.
Dan C
2018-06-03 03:44:15 UTC
Post by Rich
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
Post by Rich
Someone else in this thread posted a quote from an early documentation
file indicating that at least the boot and root disks that were used
to initially boot into the installer were sized such that they could
be written to either 5.25" or 3.5" floppies for the purpose of initial
bootstrap.
Yeah I know. ... That was the message I quoted from in fact. ...
I realize you're trying to be helpful, and that's fine, but you might
find it useful to read some older messages for a while to learn a bit
about frequent posters to this newsgroup ...
For being an arsehole, you've been plonk'ed.
You swine. You vulgar little maggot. You worthless bag of filth. As we
say in Texas, you couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions
printed on the heel. You are a canker, an open wound. I would rather kiss
a lawyer than be seen with you. You took your last vacation in the Islets
of Langerhans.

You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little worm
deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a cad, and
a weasel. I take that back; you are a festering pustule on a weasel's
rump. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a revulsion,
a big suck on a sour lemon.

I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species
as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformity. I barf at the very
thought of you. You have all the appeal of a paper cut. Lepers avoid you.
You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a fungus, the
dregs of this earth. You are a technicolor yawn. And did I mention that
you smell?

You are a squeaking rat, a mistake of nature and a heavy-metal bagpipe
player. You were not born. You were hatched into an unwilling world that
rejects the likes of you. You didn't crawl out of a normal egg, either,
but rather a mutant maggot egg rejected by an evil scientist as being
below his low standards. Your alleged parents abandoned you at birth and
then died of shame in recognition of what they had done to an unsuspecting
world. They were a bit late.

Try to edit your responses of unnecessary material before attempting to
impress us with your insight. The evidence that you are a nincompoop will
still be available to readers, but they will be able to access it ever so
much more rapidly. If cluelessness were crude oil, your scalp would be
crawling with caribou.

You are a thick-headed trog. I have seen skeet with more sense than you
have. You are a few bricks short of a full load, a few cards short of a
full deck, a few bytes short of a full core dump, and a few chromosomes
short of a full human. Worse than that, you top-post. God created
houseflies, cockroaches, maggots, mosquitos, fleas, ticks, slugs, leeches,
and intestinal parasites, then he lowered his standards and made you. I
take it back; God didn't make you. You are Satan's spawn. You are Evil
beyond comprehension, half-living in the slough of despair. You are the
entropy which will claim us all. You are a green-nostriled, crossed eyed,
hairy-livered, goisher kopf, inbred trout-defiler. You make Ebola look
good.

You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid, nasty
and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You're a fool, an ignoramus.
Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won't have sex with you. You are
unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land that
reality forgot. You are not ANSI compliant and your markup doesn't
validate. You have a couple of address lines shorted together. You should
be promoted to Engineering Manager.

Do you really expect your delusional and incoherent ramblings to be read?
Everyone plonked you long ago. Do you fantasize that your tantrums and
conniption fits could possibly be worth the $0.000000001 worth of
electricity used to send them? Your life is one big W.O.M.B.A.T., and your
future doesn't look promising either. We need to trace your bloodline and
terminate all siblings and cousins in order to cleanse humanity of your
polluted genes. The good news is that no normal human would ever mate with
you, so we won't have to go into the sewers in search of your git.

You are a waste of flesh. You have no rhythm. You are ridiculous and
obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a leech. You are a living
emptiness, a meaningless void. You are sour and senile. You are a
loathsome disease, a drooling inbred cross-eyed toesucker. You make
Quakers shout and strike Pentecostals silent. You have a version 1.0 mind
in a version 6.13 world. Your mother had to tie a pork chop around your
neck just to get your dog to play with you. You think that
www.GuyMacon.com/flame.html is the name of a rock band. You believe that
P.D.Q. Bach is the greatest composer who ever lived. You prefer L. Ron
Hubbard to Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Hee-Haw is too deep for you.
You would watch test patterns all day if the other inmates would let you.

On a good day you're a half-wit. You remind me of drool. You are deficient
in all that lends character. You have the personality of wallpaper. You
are dank and filthy. You are asinine and benighted. Spammers look down on
you. Phone sex operators hang up on you. Telemarketers refuse to be seen
in public with you. You are the source of all unpleasantness. You spread
misery and sorrow wherever you go. May you choke on your own foolish
opinions. You are a Pusillanimous galactophage and you wear your sister's
training bra. Don't bother opening the door when you leave - you should be
able to slime your way out underneath. I hope that when you get home your
mother runs out from under the porch and bites you.

You smarmy lagerlout git. You bloody woofter sod. Bugger off, pillock. You
grotty wanking oik artless base-court apple-john. You clouted boggish foot-
licking half-twit. You dankish clack-dish plonker. You gormless crook-
pated tosser. You bloody churlish boil-brained clotpole ponce. You craven
dewberry pisshead cockup pratting naff. You cockered bum-bailey poofter.
You gob-kissing gleeking flap-mouthed coxcomb. You dread-bolted fobbing
beef-witted clapper-clawed flirt-gill. You jetere steatopygous pilgarlick
hircine whigmaleerious rhadamanthine lintlicker. I refer you to the reply
given in the case of Arkell v. Pressdram.

You are so clueless that if you dressed in a clue skin, doused yourself in
clue musk, and did the clue dance in the middle of a field of horny clues
at the height of clue mating season, you still would not have a clue. If
you were a movie you would be a double feature; _Battlefield_Earth_ and
_Moron_Movies_II_. You would be out of focus.

You are a fiend and a sniveling coward, and you have bad breath. You are
the unholy spawn of a bandy-legged hobo and a syphilitic camel. You wear
strangely mismatched clothing with oddly placed stains. You are
degenerate, noxious and depraved. I feel debased just knowing that you
exist. I despise everything about you, and I wish you would go away. You
are jetsam who dreams of becoming flotsam. You won't make it. I beg for
sweet death to come and remove me from a world which became unbearable
when the bioterrorists designed you.

It is hard to believe how incredibly stupid you are. Stupid as a stone
that the other stones make fun of. So stupid that you have traveled far
beyond stupid as we know it and into a new dimension of stupid. Meta-
stupid. Stupid cubed. Trans-stupid stupid. Stupid collapsed to a
singularity where even the stupons have collapsed into stuponium. Stupid
so dense that no intelligence can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot
summer day on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one minute than our
entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. It cannot be possible that
anything in our universe can really be this stupid. This is a primordial
fragment from the original big stupid bang. A pure extract of stupid with
absolute stupid purity. Stupid beyond the laws of nature. I must
apologize. I can't go on. This is my epiphany of stupid. After this
experience, you may not hear from me for a while. I don't think that I can
summon the strength left to mock your moronic opinions and malformed
comments about boring trivia or your other drivel. Duh.

The only thing worse than your logic is your manners. I have snipped away
most of your of what you wrote, because, well ... it didn't really say
anything. Your attempt at constructing a creative flame was pitiful. I
mean, really, stringing together a bunch of insults among a load of
babbling was hardly effective... Maybe later in life, after you have
learned to read, write, spell, and count, you will have more success.
True, these are rudimentary skills that many of us "normal" people take
for granted that everyone has an easy time of mastering. But we sometimes
forget that there are "challenged" persons in this world who find these
things to be difficult. If I had known that this was true in your case
then I would have never have exposed myself to what you wrote. It just
wouldn't have been "right." Sort of like parking in a handicap space. I
wish you the best of luck in the emotional, and social struggles that seem
to be placing such a demand on you.

P.S.: You are hypocritical, greedy, violent, malevolent, vengeful,
cowardly, deadly, mendacious, meretricious, loathsome, despicable,
belligerent, opportunistic, barratrous, contemptible, criminal, fascistic,
bigoted, racist, sexist, avaricious, tasteless, idiotic, brain-damaged,
imbecilic, insane, arrogant, deceitful, demented, lame, self-righteous,
byzantine, conspiratorial, satanic, fraudulent, libelous, bilious,
splenetic, spastic, ignorant, clueless, EDLINoid, illegitimate, harmful,
destructive, dumb, evasive, double-talking, devious, revisionist, narrow,
manipulative, paternalistic, fundamentalist, dogmatic, idolatrous,
unethical, cultic, diseased, suppressive, controlling, restrictive,
malignant, deceptive, dim, crazy, weird, dyspeptic, stifling, uncaring,
plantigrade, grim, unsympathetic, jargon-spouting, censorious, secretive,
aggressive, mind-numbing, arassive, poisonous, flagrant, self-destructive,
abusive, socially-retarded, puerile, pinguid, and Generally Not Good.
"Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet stepped on the land mine.
wobbles
2018-06-03 04:51:45 UTC
Post by Dan C
You swine. You vulgar little maggot. You worthless bag of filth. As we
say in Texas, you couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions
printed on the heel. You are a canker, an open wound.
<Snip long description adapted from elsewhere>

Don't hold back; tell us how you really feel !! <Grin>
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-06-04 19:51:39 UTC
You are a thick-headed trog. ... Worse than that, you top-post. ...
Well, in Rich's defense, he didn't top-post. ;-)

A Guy Called Tyketto
2018-06-07 06:14:12 UTC
Post by Rich
For being an arsehole, you've been plonk'ed.
--- mass deleted for brevity---

I nominate thee for an entry into the fortunes database, for use
with fortune -o.

BL.
--
Brad Littlejohn | Email: ***@sbcglobal.net
Unix Systems Administrator, | ***@ozemail.com.au
John McCue
2018-06-03 16:45:04 UTC
Post by Sylvain Robitaille
Actually I don''t remember how many 5 inch floppies. ...
I'm going to suggest that your memory perhaps fails you here. Your
computer perhaps had a 5-1/4" floppy disk drive in it, but it most
certainly also had a 3-1/2" floppy drive. Slackware was originally
released on 1.44MB (3-1/2") floppy disk images. You wouldn't have
gotten these onto 5-1/4" disks in any usable form.
see http://www.slackware.com/announce/1.0.php for the original
announcement.
Actually the 386sx I had only had a 5-1/4" drive,
but there were boot diskettes for 5-1/4". I kept
a DOS partation and copied the disk sets I wanted
there and booted the 5-1/4 to install then used the
DOS partrtion for the rest. In those days I did not
install X or TeX or IIRC emacs. But the install took
a long time :) I think there was a way to point to
the DOS partition in setup. That was in the 2.x days.

John
Sylvain Robitaille
2018-06-04 20:20:18 UTC
Actually the 386sx I had only had a 5-1/4" drive, ...
Well, I did say that I don't mind being proven wrong ...
but there were boot diskettes for 5-1/4".
Yes. I want to say that I just learned that in this thread, but more
likely I'd known about it when I started with Slackware (1995/1996)
but never needed those so had long ago forgotten.
I kept a DOS partation and copied the disk sets I wanted there and
booted the 5-1/4 to install then used the DOS partrtion for the rest.
That would have worked, yes. I kept a DOS partition and found I wasn't
using it. ... and I *did* install X, TeX, and Emacs. Though it wasn't
long before I decided I needed disk space more than I needed Emacs.
Between that and realizing that the DOS partition was superfluous,
I think I had doubled my available disk space in one relatively
quick re-installation. :-)